Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I’ll give the fella some slack and say that he inherited an almost impossible job if he has any ambition. He’s taken over a team so much better than the rest over the last two years that he only has two options. Either just tell them to carry on what they were doing, or change it completely.

Option A means we probably finish top and give everyone a sound beating most weeks, but he‘ll know that NRL clubs will look at that as him just winning with another fellas team and taking the easy option. He’ll be eyeing a plum NRL job in 2-3 years and will want to show them that he did his own thing and changed a winning team into his own image.

So he’s opting for Option B, which means we aren’t as good to watch and we are all scratching our heads wondering why he’s ripped up a winning formula.

He is basically treating us as a stepping stone and will not care too much about our culture or history if he feels he can win trophies with his methods and attract an NRL job in the process. This is what happens when you continually appoint Aussie coaches. We change every 2 years and have no real stability in terms of style of play or culture.

The club in this league that look the same year after year and bring players in to fit their style are Castleford. There is a reason for that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I hate to say it but you're right. We're not stupid but we're not particularly tolerant either and if he turns a Champion team into a bunch of robots then he'll soon be gone. I just hope he's used this time wisely and figured out we don't play that way. I'm not holding my breath on that though.
    I suspect he won’t have, there was absolutely no indication that he was preparing to change anything, at best if it all restarts he’ll just start again with likely a (relatively) fit squad. I’ve already lost confidence in him & now it’s a long way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    I suspect he won’t have, there was absolutely no indication that he was preparing to change anything, at best if it all restarts he’ll just start again with likely a (relatively) fit squad. I’ve already lost confidence in him & now it’s a long way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Although it looks as though he tried to fix things which effected things that didn't need changing he had a short term excuse of Coote, Roby and Percival for the season so far, once we return and we find the same playing style scenario then something tells me he isn't a good fit for Saints. I hope he proves us wrong and he's got a great opportunity to go back 6 games and re start again.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I didn’t think they looked overly interested against either Huddersfield or Castleford to be fair, Woolf’s first point is call is perhaps to figure out why that was. First-half against Huddersfield we threw a lot of passes but it was all lateral and slow, no-one was really fixing any defenders or running at any pace. Everything was at jogging pace for a good hour. The Castleford game was just a hammering physically, they just wanted it more. Luckily for us they kicked dead a few times and made a few mistakes themselves which stopped it being a 40 point job. I thought it was a worrying performance.

I think the league is a bit stronger this year as well, or perhaps teams’ first choice 17’s are. It was mentioned on here after the Challenge Cup Final defeat that we’d been caught out a bit by the standard of the league, particularly some of the non TV games at home where we’d played poorly, the games were a bit crap but we still won quite easily. Going from that to a CC Final was a big step up but I think those poorer performances might be punished a bit more this year.

He’s definitely got some work to do. At this stage though none of it matters, I’ll just be made up to have rugby back.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 16th April 2020 at 20:48.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

In The South Stand

Traitor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Traitor.
    Knobhead.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Right now one part of me is thinking let him go for a fee, we’re a long way off SL restarting, NRL season restarts this week, be good to see him rip it up.

Other part of me is thinking when/if we do restart I want him to be on our team.

I wouldn’t be massively disappointed if he left early, he’s going anyway. Give Ashworth a final chance to get some consistency unless he is off too. Build for next season onwards.
    Last edited by reliable sauce; 27th May 2020 at 13:28.

Sod that - plenty of unfinished business this season, and let's be honest - our season hasn't exactly got off to a flyer, and losing Thommo earlier than planned, wouldn't exactly help turn that around.

In The South Stand

Knobhead.

Bad as Gary Connolly that lad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its a sign of weak ambition from the club if we let him go early, the only way we could let him go if if we get James Tamou to come over in the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Right now one part of me is thinking let him go for a fee, we’re a long way off SL restarting, NRL season restarts this week, be good to see him rip it up.

Other part of me is thinking when/if we do restart I want him to be on our team.

I wouldn’t be massively disappointed if he left early, he’s going anyway. Give Ashworth a final chance to get some consistency unless he is off too. Build for next season onwards.
    Fees are generally compensation for buying out players contracts. Thompson has less than 6 months left so they arent going to offer anything worthwhile. It all depends on when the contract is due up. Rouges suggested the 30th of November so he will probably go mid season if we kick off in August.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Fees are generally compensation for buying out players contracts. Thompson has less than 6 months left so they arent going to offer anything worthwhile. It all depends on when the contract is due up. Rouges suggested the 30th of November so he will probably go mid season if we kick off in August.

He goes mid season they need to make it worth our while, we shouldn't be getting our bellies tickled because they've decided they want him early.

I want to share a jacuzzi with Mila Kunis but that's not likely either.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 27th May 2020 at 15:48. Reason: Breakdown in English language skills

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I don't want to see him leave early but their season is up and running, we are somewhere between 2-3 mths off starting. Paying the players at the moment can't be easy so if he went now the club would have accepted a fee and not have to pay his wages. I can understand it tbh if it happens.

He goes mid season they need to make it worth our while, we shouldn't be getting our bellies tickled because they've decided they want him early.

I want to share a jacuzzi with Mila Kunis but that's not likely either.
    I don't think he will go, they won't offer stupid money and we will need him for the restart of the season. I think he will leave in December but it will be interesting to see where his mind is at when the season starts. He won't want to be getting hurt.

Imagine sharing a hot tub with Mila Kunis.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't think he will go, they won't offer stupid money and we will need him for the restart of the season. I think he will leave in December but it will be interesting to see where his mind is at when the season starts. He won't want to be getting hurt.

Imagine sharing a hot tub with Mila Kunis.

She is outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I don't want to see him leave early but their season is up and running, we are somewhere between 2-3 mths off starting. Paying the players at the moment can't be easy so if he went now the club would have accepted a fee and not have to pay his wages. I can understand it tbh if it happens.
    Let me say I DO NOT want him to go.

Playing devils advocate here though, IF they offered £250k now (hypothetical figure) and we pay him a £150k salary (again, hypothetical) that we could get off the cap/stop paying it would be good business for the club and some financial security in the short-term. As mentioned earlier, he’s going soon anyway.....

The numbers could be nothing like that BUT it’s just another side to the coin.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    She is outstanding
    Have a cold shower.

In The South Stand

On Thompson, would his contract run out at the end of October? It might be that we lose him mid season anyway. If we're going to, I'd take any money we can and use it to invest in next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    On Thompson, would his contract run out at the end of October? It might be that we lose him mid season anyway. If we're going to, I'd take any money we can and use it to invest in next season.
    Rouges said that contracts generally end on the 30th of November. If Canterbury are looking to get him over before hand then they aren't going to wait until the end of our season so I assume he'd go at the end of November at the latest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Let me say I DO NOT want him to go.

Playing devils advocate here though, IF they offered £250k now (hypothetical figure) and we pay him a £150k salary (again, hypothetical) that we could get off the cap/stop paying it would be good business for the club and some financial security in the short-term. As mentioned earlier, he’s going soon anyway.....

The numbers could be nothing like that BUT it’s just another side to the coin.
    If that was the case then yes, I'd go for it under the circumstances but I don't think they'll throw silly money at it. He's a brilliant player but I wouldn't say he'd make the difference in them winning the NRL or not.

I also don't think, should he stay on, he'd do a Barba. He just doesn't strike me as that type of person.

Rumours in Australia that he could be leaving Saints this week..

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...21suffix=107-b
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 11th June 2020 at 08:38.
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

All things are possible at the moment but surely they have to buy out his contract? I am sure the Chairman is alive to this.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Rumours in Australia that he could be leaving Saints this week..

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...21suffix=107-b
    Link just takes you to a pay site

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Link just takes you to a pay site
    I know I can’t find one that doesn’t, I just saw it in Twitter.
    V