Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for pubs 2 visit Sat 22nd Feb/WCC

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Yeah Tokes was in Preston, Peppermint Place was in Blackburn if I remember correctly. We used to go some proper strange places

I think my mates and my brother may have been to that one in Wigan - Kudos was it?
    Aye Peppermint Place, the best night you could ever have in a multi story car park

The clubs we used to visit on coach trips (Peppermint Place, Tokyo Joes, The Palace in Blackpool) surely must all be well gone now? Definitely the Palace anyway as that building had been completely gutted last time I was in Blackpool
    I remember my Southern mates at Uni were in disbelief that we used to go on coach trips to nightclubs! It just doesn't happen nowadays. Sometimes 40-50 people on a coach. I also remember the Park nightclub at Charnock Richard and Butterflies at Oldham too.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Some from maybe a bit further back in time. Poco Poco Stockport, Garrick Leigh, Cavendish Blackburn, Cats Whiskers Burnley, Dixieland Southport and of course The Riverside in Wigan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chalfie View Post
    It was called Park lane ,then Martines and then Maloneys next to the Citadel on waterloo street ,its now a car park
    I had a couple of spells working in Park Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Aye Peppermint Place, the best night you could ever have in a multi story car park
    My dad goes on about peppermint place a lot. Sounds like a right laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Tokyo Joes was in Preston wasn't it? Me and my mate went there and missed the bus back as we were "on a promise" with 2 student birds who promptly vanished and we had sit at the station for the first train home. There used to be another in Wigan right near the ground that ran coaches from town, used to quite like that but could be dangerous as it always felt like St Helens v Wigan.
    It was. Went there in 2005 when I was at Lancaster Uni. Quality

Martine's was a moody dump, when it changed to Maloneys we used to meet in there on a Friday after work and sometimes go in after games, there were a few messy nights.

I remember that Syndicate, they tried to spin it as Blackpools answer to Gatecrasher but it never lived up to it, it probably opened a bit late as dance music started to go crap by the mid 2000's, for me anyway.
    Spot on about the Syndicate Dave. Gatecrasher was another level. It just grew on me the Syndicate. Also agree about the quality in dance music going down the pan post 2005. 97 to 2004 the peak I reckon

Banned

Yeah Tokes was in Preston, Peppermint Place was in Blackburn if I remember correctly. We used to go some proper strange places

I think my mates and my brother may have been to that one in Wigan - Kudos was it?
    That's the one, Kudos. I can't think of anything worse these days but it was great at the time. Back2basics and Planet Earth in Leeds were also good.

Banned

Martine's was amusing that it had a mirrored wall to make it look bigger, very drunk people wouldn't realise and would almost walk into it.

Fighting with themselves

Banned

probably opened a bit late as dance music started to go crap by the mid 2000's, for me anyway.

Dance music went crap in the early-90's when firstly it went into regular clubs with all the lager-Kevins, then went full-on corporate with the super-clubs.

Give me dancing like a loon to a makeshift rig on Ainsdale Beach at 4am with ten thousand other people all with eyes like dinner plates! Proper music! Innit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Spot on about the Syndicate Dave. Gatecrasher was another level. It just grew on me the Syndicate. Also agree about the quality in dance music going down the pan post 2005. 97 to 2004 the peak I reckon
    It's making me all misty eyed this, I thought it picked up a little late 2000's going to Circus in Liverpool which I believe is still going but by then I was working abroad a lot and more into bands, boozing and football. I still listen to some of the music now, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Midfield General and the likes of 808 State, St Etienne and Frankie Knuckles before that.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

That's the one, Kudos. I can't think of anything worse these days but it was great at the time. Back2basics and Planet Earth in Leeds were also good.
    I've had some mint nights at basics. Used to dread the ride home though.

I was a bit later than those clubs mentioned I remember kudos and the pier before it turned into donk. We started with other clubs then, circus and chibuku in Liverpool around 2003-06 was a mint time for me with dance music and clubbing.

It's all about filling venues and money these days. Circus is nothing like it used to be but if you look hard enough theres still some good night's knocking about the north west.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Dance music went crap in the early-90's when firstly it went into regular clubs with all the lager-Kevins, then went full-on corporate with the super-clubs.

Give me dancing like a loon to a makeshift rig on Ainsdale Beach at 4am with ten thousand other people all with eyes like dinner plates! Proper music! Innit.
    I'm surprised Mr Anti-Everything would be into such things.

I was still in school then but in my music collection my favourite stuff is from 92/94 nobody's been close since. Gutted I missed out on that time

Got A Season Ticket

Majestic in Leeds was another great club it had a upstairs and downstairs can't remember what downstairs part was called you could have 3,000 people in both parts on Friday night in its hayday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I've had some mint nights at basics. Used to dread the ride home though.

I was a bit later than those clubs mentioned I remember kudos and the pier before it turned into donk. We started with other clubs then, circus and chibuku in Liverpool around 2003-06 was a mint time for me with dance music and clubbing.

It's all about filling venues and money these days. Circus is nothing like it used to be but if you look hard enough theres still some good night's knocking about the north west.
    Chibuku was the better night I though. Do you remember playing Wigan away on a Good Friday and going straight to Circus from the game?

I'm not sure I could be bothered anymore I don't much fancy 2 days of the fear and chewing my face off. A mate of mine was DJ'ing Amsterdam last month, I'd of gone to that if I'd of been over there but the memories are much less tough on the body than the real thing.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 6th February 2020 at 14:23.

Banned

I'm surprised Mr Anti-Everything would be into such things.

Not sure where you get that idea from. I'm as liberal as they come.

I just hate bigotry. And Tories. And wi*an. And Pikies. And Brexiteers. And wi*an.

Banned

Not sure where you get that idea from. I'm as liberal as they come.

I just hate bigotry. And Tories. And wi*an. And Pikies. And Brexiteers. And wi*an.
    I hate w***n twice over too so at least we agree on something.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Majestic in Leeds was another great club it had a upstairs and downstairs can't remember what downstairs part was called you could have 3,000 people in both parts on Friday night in its hayday
    Oh if we are in Leeds does anyone remember the Phono, still have their carpet stuck to my shoes

Got A Season Ticket

Le phonographique ha yeah that was in merrion centre under escalator

Chibuku was the better night I though. Do you remember playing Wigan away on a Good Friday and going straight to Circus from the game?

I'm not sure I could be bothered anymore I don't much fancy 2 days of the fear and chewing my face off. A mate of mine was DJ'ing Amsterdam last month, I'd of gone to that if I'd of been over there but the memories are much less tough on the body than the real thing.
    It does ring a bell but most of my nights from that time are just like 1 big night out merged into 1 now.

We still go out out, I'm going circus next week. I don't really rate their nights anymore there's other places I prefer but there's a few of us going so sod it. That's why I don't really go town we just save ourselves for a club night every so often and nip locals for a quick pint.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    It does ring a bell but most of my nights from that time are just like 1 big night out merged into 1 now.

We still go out out, I'm going circus next week. I don't really rate their nights anymore there's other places I prefer but there's a few of us going so sod it. That's why I don't really go town we just save ourselves for a club night every so often and nip locals for a quick pint.
    I used go to Circus a bit. Thought it was pretty good.

I fancy the Cream daytime sesh in liverpool end of Feb but think it's when Saints play Toronto

Learning All The Songs

I feel old, Cindy`s was the main place for our lot, Mr. Smiths for a change when the hit man & her were not there.
    The one in Wigan near the ground was The Riverside (we were "down by" last night). Ale and hearty the comedy duo used to do a stint in there, their Andy Gregory skit was usually good. Clowns/Clouds bar in Wigan with Davina (a St. Helens drag act) was popular around the same time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    My dad goes on about peppermint place a lot. Sounds like a right laugh
    You’ve just made me realise I’m 50 next year, but I’m still not turned 30

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Le phonographique ha yeah that was in merrion centre under escalator
    A sort of cross between Maxines on a Thursday Rock night , but the claustrophobia of the Bullion