Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Harry Jones

Got A Replica Shirt

Default Harry Jones

I just wanted to take advantage of this forum to pay homage to a very dear family friend and Saints oldest season ticket holder Harry Jones who sadly passed away on Friday 24th Jan at the grand old age of 101.
    Harry was brought up on Rugby union in South Wales but after his marriage lived in the Isle of Dogs, after serving in the forces during the war Harry found work down south with Pilkington Bros and it was his 'northern workmates' that introduced him to Saints and after relocating to St Helen's he well and truly caught the bug and started a lifelong support of the club.
    Harry would meet me pre match for a chin wag and when we left each other to take our seats without fail he would present me with a chocolate bar 'for half time'
    Away from rugby he was one of life's true gentlemen, in over 30 years I have known him I have never heard him say a wrong word about anyone...not even Wiganers...lol! He was kind & generous and the most wonderful friend to many.
    I really would like to say a huge thank you to everyone at the club and especially Mark Onion who over recent years have arranged for Harry to take the match ball onto the pitch, have dinner in the directors box and presented with a framed Saints Jersey by Justin Holbrook, at his 100th birthday party James Roby, Alex Walmsley & Kyle Amor all dropped by to see him....Harry was extremely touched and grateful for all this and especially earlier this year when they arranged for him to have a better seat,car park pass etc....he was so looking forward to this season (he only missed 3 home games all last season)but sadly it was not to be.
    Sleep peacefully my dear friend, the world will be a poorer place without you but one thing for sure you will always be in that number.
    Last edited by Mrs Nr Wigan; 2nd February 2020 at 16:51.

Banned

Sorry for your loss, at least he seen us win the title last year. What a fantastic innings.

Banned

Superb story and I hope it's recognised at the next home game. They bred them tough in the Isle of Dogs, it made Beth Ave look like Holywood. 101 and he was still loving life. Fantastic and I am sure he will rest in peace.

Starting A Programme Collection

Great story to read - thanks for sharing... and I'm sure an even better man. Sad to hear of this passing and happy to hear of a life fulfilled and the existence of a gentleman. Hoping Harry gets to enjoy watching the Saints from his new vantage point. RIP

In The South Stand

Good man R I P Harry.

Got A Season Ticket

Goodnight god bless xxxx

RIP Harry, always a Saint

Got A Season Ticket

Sums up what great supporters we have and well done to saints for recognising Harry's support of our great club. RIP

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

A lovely eulogy to him, thanks for sharing his story. RIP Harry.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

RIP Harry.
    A great story thanks for sharing Mrs Nr Wigan, it got a mention on Sky the other night but it is nice to have a background story to tie it in.
    Big shout to all behind the scenes and the players for taking time during his birthday to visit him.
    Hope one of his family or a friend uses the season ticket, if not I wonder would the club raffle it giving the funds to a charity of his families choice?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Lovely story, he sounds a true gent.
    RIP Harry.

Great post, RIP Harry and condolences to his family and friends.