Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Wire week #1

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Default Wire week #1

Hi my Red Vee friends. I come in peace. I've missed the chat closed season.

Anyways the toughest tie this season or do you think the threat comes from the Pies?
    Personally I don't think the Pies come close to you.
    Their win against Wire was a gift.
    However less of them...

Come down, mingle in the Kings Head and have some friendly banter. Even at 2 games in...I think this game will set an order.

Banned

For me wigan are the main threat this season. Last season we had great support in richardson and swift as backup this season we are lacking i feel. Im not confident we will beat you next week with us missing robes makinson, knowles and now coote they are 4 of our best players. Eitger way hope its a cracking game. Isnt widdop supposed to be back

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Hi my Red Vee friends. I come in peace. I've missed the chat closed season.

Anyways the toughest tie this season or do you think the threat comes from the Pies?
    Personally I don't think the Pies come close to you.
    Their win against Wire was a gift.
    However less of them...

Come down, mingle in the Kings Head and have some friendly banter. Even at 2 games in...I think this game will set an order.
    Far too early to be talking about setting orders IMO.
    Cobwebs being blown off, new signings, new coaches, young players coming through will all take time to bed in for any team.
    Whilst it's tempting to pick out the usual suspects as 'threats', I think there will be some upsets this season.
    My biggest concern is the 'Toronto effect'. A bit of an unknown when you include the impact of travelling to Canada and back, with all the disruption to the normal weekly game prep. I know that, in theory, it should be the same for each team, but I think it will also effect a teams performance the following week. Could be a real 'spanner in the works'!
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 2nd February 2020 at 09:44. Reason: typo...Or maybe I did mean treat? ;o)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think your lot may be harder to beat this year. With our injuries it's anybody's game on Thurs. I fully expect us to win at least the LLS again, but by a smaller margin.

Close game I think.

Think wire might just sneak it

Banned

Far too early to tell, I hope we just concentrate on our own game.

I expect it to be much closer than our game on Friday and I expect Walmsley/Thompson to play longer.

Austin looks sharp and BMM also did well for you. Chris Hill will a big loss.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think your lot may be harder to beat this year. With our injuries it's anybody's game on Thurs. I fully expect us to win at least the LLS again, but by a smaller margin.
    Wire probably are fitter at game 1 than they was last year, we were fairly advanced in our fitness levels at the end of the pre season last year, I should imagine Wire have taken note and followed suit this season. Attacking wise we are very similar but saints have stiffened up their defence only missed 11 tackles on Friday, if we control their offloading game then we win the match.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Assuming Coote is unavailable (I’m not totally convinced) then Welsby looks to be a more than adequate understudy. We have our own potential star in the making in Matty Ashton but early days yet.
    Woolfe seems to have concentrated on “controlling the ruck” and the only way to counter that is in the off load. As someone said we seem fitter this year, it was a real concern last year after we lost Jon Clarke, but Ade Gardner seems to have got them up to speed. I think your continuity of squad will see you get the better of us this early in the season (settled combinations) but all to play for as the season goes on.

Banned

Well it's always your year. The law of averages says one day it will be. Fair play to Moran he keeps lumping on. Salary cap I don't think really applies to Wire. Leeds v Hull today will be interesting I think Hull have recruited solidly.

We really picked Salford off on Friday. Thursday early season anyone's game.

Starting A Programme Collection

Both saints and wire looked sharp and fit . Wire would have won if they had have been better disciplined.

Saints wire will be a good test . Saints defence looks extremely tight and compact (NRL style ) our attack is also very compact playing in channels with multiple runners of which Salford had no answer.

It wont be as easy as Salford but at first viewing , i can only see a saints win . It is early days but off the back of that game we are looking as good as last year if not better .

In saying that ,if we are still missing Roby, Makinson and knowles it will certainly benefit warrington . Bentley. Welsby and smith did well on Friday, wire will be another step up for them and the pressure may tell on the young lads. Looking forward to it!

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Assuming Coote is unavailable (I’m not totally convinced) then Welsby looks to be a more than adequate understudy. We have our own potential star in the making in Matty Ashton but early days yet.
    Woolfe seems to have concentrated on “controlling the ruck” and the only way to counter that is in the off load. As someone said we seem fitter this year, it was a real concern last year after we lost Jon Clarke, but Ade Gardner seems to have got them up to speed. I think your continuity of squad will see you get the better of us this early in the season (settled combinations) but all to play for as the season goes on.
    Coote has had a serious knee injury before- had an ACL tear which kept him out for a full season. So if there's any concern and he's not 100% comfortable on it, not worth risking further damage, especially with Welsby showing he's more than ready to step in as you say. I don't think Saints lost anything in attack and he showed great vision to put Naiqama over for one of his tries.

On Warrington, I was also impressed by their youngster playing full back. Never seen anything of him before. He's certainly got plenty of speed! Don't think Widdop will be back so I'd imagine he'd be picked again. Saints will be taking a risk if they deploy such a compressed defence as they did against Salford, with the extra speed Warrington have. They will cause Saints problems, but can they convert field position into points? Had chances to beat Wigan the other night, but the attack still not convincing and hence why they've brought in Widdop. Can Warrington stop Saints' dominant pack? If Saints get field position, they will score points.

Thought French was really good for Wigan. Really threatening ball in-hand and can throw a pass- brilliant cut out pass to put Marshall away. You can see why they wanted to get him in the middle of the field, even at the expense of moving Hardaker.

Surprised that Huddersfield beat Catalan last night. Seems Seizer had a very good game from the footage.

Looking forward to the games today!

Regards,

STEVO