Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It’s Back! 21 man squad v Salford...

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Paulo did nothing wrong, give the bloke a break.
    Well said.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Paulo did nothing.
    Corrected that for you.

Got A Season Ticket

A very encouraging performance for the start of the season especially given who was missing and the loss of Coote. Welsby displayed great touches in attack and Lomax was sublime although my favourite moment was the show and go from Theo for his try

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    I agree. I thought our all round game improved when he came on. He’s not a world beater but he’s solid and does a lot of hard work that maybe goes unnoticed.
    Obviously there's a mixture of opinions on here about Paulo, but I think I'm in the same camp as you. I get the feeling that he 'organises' the middle of the field when he's on, which may go unnoticed by many. Just a gut feeling. I'm not a coach and I don't pretend to be an expert here!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Obviously there's a mixture of opinions on here about Paulo, but I think I'm in the same camp as you. I get the feeling that he 'organises' the middle of the field when he's on, which may go unnoticed by many. Just a gut feeling. I'm not a coach and I don't pretend to be an expert here!
    He also, like Lomax, is willing to take the ball to the opposition line before releasing the pass. There's an argument to be made about overseas signings bringing more to the table than you'd expect from domestic players available, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    A very encouraging performance for the start of the season especially given who was missing and the loss of Coote. Welsby displayed great touches in attack and Lomax was sublime although my favourite moment was the show and go from Theo for his try

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Agree. Hard to find fault with any of that last night bar the odd few pass selections.

Having said you could see that Lomax and Fages were trying to work on an opening for Taia for several minutes before he walked in. They are willing to stick at it and target certain areas of defences. I thought that was committed, intelligent, focused rugby.

Really impressed.

Seen the Wigan v Wire game now, I think we'll have a real test Thursday though. Thought Wire did well with a man down

Learning All The Songs

Welsby at 6 and Dodd at 7 in a few years could he a devastating combo if they keep on their trajectories. He looked lost on the wing; Makinson would have scored at least 2 last night, but looked a class above at FB. Dare I say, even better than Coote did.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

What was the story at the start last night when we let the first 3 Salford kicks bounce? Was it just a miscommunication over who's ball it was or did no fancy it? It's one we need to sort out before Warrington.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What was the story at the start last night when we let the first 3 Salford kicks bounce? Was it just a miscommunication over who's ball it was or did no fancy it? It's one we need to sort out before Warrington.
    In their defence the wind was bad and the ball was moving about all over the place. There’s probably an argument to say they should’ve taken 1 of them but certainly a couple of them were very tricky.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    In their defence the wind was bad and the ball was moving about all over the place. There’s probably an argument to say they should’ve taken 1 of them but certainly a couple of them were very tricky.
    At one point, Brown put the ball in the air it curled round toward centre pitch rather than towards the right side of the pitch (looking from West Stand) so it completely baffled Coote and those in the surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    You don't see that on the TV. It just looked like nobody was taking command of who's ball it was. If the wind was bad, how good were Percival's goal kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You don't see that on the TV. It just looked like nobody was taking command of who's ball it was. If the wind was bad, how good were Percival's goal kicks?
    Pretty good. Nailed 2 from the touchline on the 'wrong' side for him. Think it was 2 anyway. For whatever reason, bits of the second half passed me by

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Pretty good. Nailed 2 from the touchline on the 'wrong' side for him. Think it was 2 anyway. For whatever reason, bits of the second half passed me by
    It was 2. I thought they were 2 great kicks even in ideal conditions, never mind the wind, and from the left touchline. You could see how pleased he was when he got his first one, hope those two go some way to giving him his confidence back.

Learning All The Songs

We seem to have stopped using our backs so much to clear our own half.

Banned

Default It’s Back! 21 man squad v Salford...

Good win even though I don’t think we got out of second gear. All the defending they did in the first half opened things up for us in the second.

I thought our defensive was more aggressive, with us committing more men in the tackle especially in their 20 which was good to see

One slight concern was the amount of times
    they created overlaps in our 20 and with a bit more quality, they would have scored a couple of tries at least. Probably down to a new defensive structure which should get better each week.

Banned

After watching it back on telly, a few thoughts:

We weren't scintillating, but a decent first-game performance. We got the majority of 50:50 decisions and thdcrub if the green s few times.

Lomax was, as I've said, on another level. Fages was also very good. Thought Welsby was out of place on the wing, but did well at FB.

Our pack is still awesome.

Our 'D' looked very compressed in the middle. Salford began to take some advantage. If we carry on with this, teams will analyse and exploit it more as we move into the season.

We also played some snide rugby at times. And I really hate the wrestle.

Thought the young ref did alright. Missed a few 'dark arts' from both sides, but those PTB changes are a shocker to enforce and just give another thing for refs to focus on, when IMO they should just be trying to ensure no slowing the OTB by the defensive team.

Salford aren't as bad as that scoreline suggests, and I hope they go well this season. That Evalds has a huge pair of cherries on him - he took some punishment and never shirked. But Brown is such a shithouse.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    After watching it back on telly, a few thoughts:

We weren't scintillating, but a decent first-game performance. We got the majority of 50:50 decisions and thdcrub if the green s few times.

Lomax was, as I've said, on another level. Fages was also very good. Thought Welsby was out of place on the wing, but did well at FB.

Our pack is still awesome.

Our 'D' looked very compressed in the middle. Salford began to take some advantage. If we carry on with this, teams will analyse and exploit it more as we move into the season.

We also played some snide rugby at times. And I really hate the wrestle.

Thought the young ref did alright. Missed a few 'dark arts' from both sides, but those PTB changes are a shocker to enforce and just give another thing for refs to focus on, when IMO they should just be trying to ensure no slowing the OTB by the defensive team.

Salford aren't as bad as that scoreline suggests, and I hope they go well this season. That Evalds has a huge pair of cherries on him - he took some punishment and never shirked. But Brown is such a shithouse.
    A fair assessment.

I wonder whether the defence will be so compressed against Warrington? Even now Price will be thinking of how to take advantage of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I wonder whether the defence will be so compressed against Warrington? Even now Price will be thinking of how to take advantage of it.

I'm hoping Woolf introduces some match-to-match variety in our playing style & tactics. Would love a team like Warrington gear all their training around exploiting some weakness and nullifying the way we attack, only for us to play differently and rip them apart