Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s Back! 21 man squad v Salford...

Really enjoyed that tonight, defence was great, attack deadly, but the pitch did not help and needs sorting. Tougher task next week, but things are looking good.

COYS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think he went OK, didn't do anything dynamic just very industrious working down that middle channel don't think he missed many tackles, Tai and Peyroux were out of the edges and didn't have to do hard yards down that middle. Percival looks stronger and was glad to see Lees play his usual game, think we missed Makinsons scoots but overall not too bad for our first game. Top of the league with the best attack and best defence so nothing has changed!!!
    Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him he just doesn't seem to do much of anything to me. No complaints about anyone else.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Paulo still hasn't improved any.
    Unsurprising. Should be nowhere near our 17 when the squad is healthy.

In The South Stand

Rather have Amor than Paulo and I’m not an Amor fan.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Paulo isn’t a terrible player but he is very average and I find it hard to believe we can’t find a young lad to play instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulo is a bit of an enigma to me. When he just carries the ball forward he’s not bad - not explosive but strong and quite difficult to put down. But most of the times he gets the ball he just fannies about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    You're most likely right.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    With Roby, Knowles and Amor to come back into contention I don’t see a place for Paulo in the 17. Injury cover and squad rotation is his only hope for game time this year outside of the reserves.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think he went OK, didn't do anything dynamic just very industrious working down that middle channel don't think he missed many tackles, Tai and Peyroux were out of the edges and didn't have to do hard yards down that middle. Percival looks stronger and was glad to see Lees play his usual game, think we missed Makinsons scoots but overall not too bad for our first game. Top of the league with the best attack and best defence so nothing has changed!!!
    He's very average and prone for daft penalties. If people stay fit I can't see him playing much

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Whilst I thought Bentley went well tonight it was evident to me that we got far greater speed from the PTB when Smith came on. If he can develop his game from Roby he'll be ok for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    That was pure class from Welsby.
    He proved he is not a winger, but it also looks like we have no worries when Coote finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Lomax was on another level tonight. He was unbelievably good. If he goes like that through this season, he'll walk man of steel (although, if they're doing that stupid points bollocks again, maybe he'll be robbed)
    IMO he was the best player in SL last year, but he didn't win it. Instead of the stupid voting system they have, I think they should just let me pick it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Whilst I thought Bentley went well tonight it was evident to me that we got far greater speed from the PTB when Smith came on. If he can develop his game from Roby he'll be ok for us.
    Mentioned the same myself. I like Bentley as a utility player, and he gets through some work, but he is a carthorse from the PTB.
    How we have Paulo filling a quota spot is beyond me.

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

I personally thought Paulo played well, made good yards after contact and tackled everything while he was on the pitch. He put Lees through a gap with his first touch of the ball after coming on.
    I suppose every team needs a scapegoat though, even when we stuff the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Lomax was on another level tonight. He was unbelievably good. If he goes like that through this season, he'll walk man of steel (although, if they're doing that stupid points bollocks again, maybe he'll be robbed)
    I agree. He was excellent. I noticed was he was perhaps involved in slightly more central areas of the pitch than last year and had a field day running at and drawing big men to him

Also still not convinced on Bentley at hooker. He just looks a bit unnatural there - distribution etc

Thought Welsby looked class and despite being sceptical about Naiqama out on the wing for what we’d lose at centre, his finishing in front of where I was sat was very powerful

Other than than it was a good opening win. There were some changes in the lines of attack which is good as we don’t want teams learning how to play us. Defence looked solid - I just hope we don’t go too far back towards holding down in the tackle as it was a strength last year that we conceded very few penalties for this

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Also still not convinced on Bentley at hooker. He just looks a bit unnatural there - distribution etc
    It's a double edged sword for me. Smith is a more natural hooker and his distribution off the floor is better but defensively he is nowhere near as strong as Roby or Bentley and gets dominated fairly often.

I still think replacing Roby will be our biggest task in the next year or two, whenever he decides to retire. it's such a crucial position and we've been blessed for over two decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

The ruck speed improved significantly when Smith was introduced in the second half

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Good mix of experienced and youth out on the pitch tonight against a Salford side that should go well against other opposition this season.

It was amazing to see how well we was able to adapt to Coote going off. With Welsby droping for Fullback, Smith filling in at Hooker. Games like tonight is what they need.

Bit clunky to begin with, Theo needs to work on who he is passing to as I think on the odd occasion he made the wrong choice opting for Taia rather than fling it out the back. But that will come over the season

Overall, a good start to the season. Bit of a marker placed where we can put 48 on a team with at least 3 of our main players sitting on the bench.

Good Following from Salford Fans as well. Hope they dont lose hope after last night.

Accidentally found myself in the Royal Alfred's rock night afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post
    I personally thought Paulo played well, made good yards after contact and tackled everything while he was on the pitch. He put Lees through a gap with his first touch of the ball after coming on.
    I suppose every team needs a scapegoat though, even when we stuff the opposition.
    I agree. I thought our all round game improved when he came on. He’s not a world beater but he’s solid and does a lot of hard work that maybe goes unnoticed.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's a double edged sword for me. Smith is a more natural hooker and his distribution off the floor is better but defensively he is nowhere near as strong as Roby or Bentley and gets dominated fairly often.

I still think replacing Roby will be our biggest task in the next year or two, whenever he decides to retire. it's such a crucial position and we've been blessed for over two decades.
    I agree with your points. As others have mentioned before it maybe that Fages becomes his successor and Welsby goes to SO, we've yet to see much of Eaves or maybe we sign someone.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

I think we need to accept that no one is likely to be a like for like replacement for Roby. Maybe we need to innovate and adapt our game.

Use Smith in attack, but push him slightly further out and bring Knowles further in on the defensive line.

Sometimes you need 2 players to replace 1.
    As Smith develops he may add more muscle and become less dominated by lads 10 years older and several stone heavier.

A good start. Expected a win but not that comprehensive. Pluses for me. Welsby has improved especially with confidence. I like Bentley although he is better elsewhere than hooker. I like his aggression and fight. I actually thought we were better when Welsby went to FB and Smith came on and Bentley moved position. (No I’m not saying Coote is poor). I do think without Coote we miss his direction, but I do think Welsby is quicker and offers something confusing for the opposition. With Coote out Welsby has to be FB as I don’t think Lomax should move at all.
    Paulo? Squad player at best.
    Percy was really good. His kicking is back!
    Big test next week..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I wouldn't risk Coote at all if he is fit next week, Welsby should be full back against Wire, if I remember rightly he was Man of the Match last time he played there. Its a long season and especially with the Rooster game we don't need to put players at there with niggly injuries, in saying that I hope Makinson is back soon because he provides that extra attacking shape which the opposition have to worry about.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Isn't it great to be talking about all the young guns coming through, Welsby, Lee's, Smith , Bentley, and there's some belters just waiting, was talking to Derek Traynor a couple of years ago saying how good the young lads were then , his answer = wait till you see the next group , says it all really , happy day's.
    Last edited by roy litherland; 1st February 2020 at 10:43.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Paulo did nothing wrong, give the bloke a break.