Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel Folau

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Super League was doing so well.

Fresh ideas, new programming on Sky Sports. Even heard the Wire/Goons game advertised on Talk Sport with the Commentary on Talk Sport 2.

Then they let this daft lad sign for Catalan with the caveat of "dont say anything naughty or you're out the door"

Now that is all the attention we are getting.

Its mind numbing!

In The South Stand

Whilst Folau is a brilliant player the stuff he has said is way beyond the pale and totally unacceptable. Imagine if another player had come out with a load of outrageous racist stuff and then was welcomed back into the game. It's just not the news we need in the game right now. Not too long ago we had Gareth Thomas playing RL who was subject to homophobic abuse and clubs were fined for fans chanting abuse at him. The game has to be inclusive as possible and we dont need to bad publicity or the idiots with such views.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I don't think this comes down to what comments people agree / disagree with its about what image these incidents portray our sport as. I think at best most people will have considered his comments distasteful.

One of the main things for me is the lack of consistency with how the game treats different people whether it's drugs cheats or physical violence.

Ben Barba has effectively had his career taken away. Yet, a lad from St Helens was recently convicted of throttling and beating his girlfriend but has been allowed to sign for Rochdale.

If we are effectively setting out a moral code for the sport then the powers that be need to set the boundaries and apply them consistently.

Personally I'm looking forward to hell. I reckon I'll know more people there and the music and parties will be better!!
    This is spot on.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    You’ve proved what a pillock you are by attacking probably the most ’unpolitically correct’ poster (Dave no offence intended) in what looks like a pretty feeble attempt to try to brush off what was said.

Ill remind you: it was a hateful, vindicative and horrid series of statements that reinforces bigotry and is deserving of the contempt it has received. In fact in the majority of workplaces those statements would amount to misconduct and disciplinary proceedings.

Oh and the reaction here and elsewhere should tell you its more than a ‘minority.’ As for comparing thieves and adulterers with homosexuals. Jesus wept.
    None taken. I actually thought he was being sarcastic in some way, strange post whatever he was getting at.

Fact is, he's signed now so show's how much I know and as player he'll add to the competition. As a person he's still a gobshite but he's in good company at Cat's.

So Wigan quickly announces their game v Catalans will be a celebration of all things LGBTQ which is applauded by most. But a few minutes ago the Wigan chairman on radio 5 live said Wigan considered signing him, but were down on cap space?
    I’m lost..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    So Wigan quickly announces their game v Catalans will be a celebration of all things LGBTQ which is applauded by most. But a few minutes ago the Wigan chairman on radio 5 live said Wigan considered signing him, but were down on cap space?
    I’m lost..
    Oh dear

Not you 49er, Wigan

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I’m lost..
    Its back pedaling and cashing in on a toxic situation.

In The South Stand

There are not many clubs that can try and take the moral high ground in rugby league. Wigan are not one of them.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Banned

I’m lost..
    I have to say I'm shocked by this.

Lenaghan is thicker than a whale omelette. Why even mention it at the same time as taking the moral high ground and probably doing the image of his club no harm in the eyes of most?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I have to say I'm shocked by this.

Lenaghan is thicker than a whale omelette. Why even mention it at the same time as taking the moral high ground and probably doing the image of his club no harm in the eyes of most?
    I would assume because Folau may try to say, why are you doing this if you tried to sign me, would seem very hypocritical to a lot of people, Lenaghan may be trying to get ahead of that with a bit of damage limitation. Although it could now be seen as a petty act linking with Wigan Pride.

It’s going to be really awkward for the sponsors -Sky for example. Can they be seen to praise and highlight him at the risk of alienating themselves in terms of public opinion? Every major broadcaster has to be so careful these days. It doesn’t seem like Elstone and Super League’s administrators are happy.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    It’s going to be really awkward for the sponsors -Sky for example. Can they be seen to praise and highlight him at the risk of alienating themselves in terms of public opinion? Every major broadcaster has to be so careful these days. It doesn’t seem like Elstone and Super League’s administrators are happy.
    Should have banned him then. He did with Barba. With negotiations taking place in 2021 for a new TV deal, he could have used that as an excuse. Elstone is a puppet with no backbone or opinion of his own.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I wonder if the Govt. could block his right to enter the country and deny him a visa to enter? Now that would be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Should have banned him then. He did with Barba. With negotiations taking place in 2021 for a new TV deal, he could have used that as an excuse. Elstone is a puppet with no backbone or opinion of his own.
    As I understand it he legally couldn’t do it. The RFL had to sanction it because he has not been convicted of anything and it’s down to individual clubs to decide on their playing roster.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    I wonder if the Govt. could block his right to enter the country and deny him a visa to enter? Now that would be funny.
    Haven't they done just that with some homophobic rappers in the past?

I’m lost..
    And wasn’t Hardaker guilty of homophobic posts a few years back?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    As I understand it he legally couldn’t do it. The RFL had to sanction it because he has not been convicted of anything and it’s down to individual clubs to decide on their playing roster.
    It's a really tricky one that could of opened a legal can of worms. His parents are Tongan and with his Tongan heritage he will be a kolpack agreement type player. So if they had not agreed to his playing there could will of been a very costly court battle on the cards.

Rightly or wrongly he is part of our game again and we just have to deal with it and move on. He also has to behave and another outburst will see his contract terminated

Got A Season Ticket

The statements from the RFL and Superleague are unequivocal in their repugnance of IF’s views and the way they conflict with our sport’s values. The statements are equally clear in their disappointment at any club’s decision to sign IF, and RFL’s legal inability to prevent any such signing. If I were an owner or coach I’d not have to think twice about the problems signing someone with such views might present; if I were a player, I’d wonder how to negotiate a working relationship with such a person. But in doing the latter, I’d do my utmost to show that another, more positive world is available, open even to those people who think like IF. Wigan’s Pride move is a good start.

Got A Season Ticket

Only in rugby league ,two days to the start of the new season no one's talking about the games coming up,We can't stop shooting are own sport in the foot

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Interesting for Woolf as it’s another excellent player to add to his ranks in the Tongan squad.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    They have, and also for hate preachers, extreme right wing speakers, however that will have been to stop them entering and rapping, preaching etc.

Falou is coming to play rugby, even though he clearly has those extreme views

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I'd like to see them draw Halifax in the Cup and Keegan Hirst smash him. And when I say 'smash him', you know what I mean. Can I say that? :-)

Margaret Court took a very similar stance in her opinions on homosexuality, and a national hero(ine) has now become a somebody that is considered beneath contempt. She is rightfully deplored by her sport, the past and present players and most decent Australians. Israel Folau is of the same ilk.

I agree that he cannot be banned from the sport. He has the right to free speech, but that's not to say that he should be welcomed with open arms too. Expressing dislike for a way of life is one thing. Preaching hatred is another.

It seems to me that Super League clubs are so desperate for publicity that they'll stoop to anything to get it. The game over here is seriously in danger of strangling itself from within.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It's not often I really bother with stuff like that but i think what he said is way, way over the top
    I know. I was joking.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I’m lost..
    The two are most likely completely unrelated. Don't think for a second that Wigan have done this for any other reasons bar positive publicity and the hope of a few extra ticket sales.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wish they would do it with all rappers