Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel Folau

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Either way, catalans have just announced it. His personal views aside, hes some player. Could be devastating

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    He is a quality player, no doubt about that. Played Origin when he was in the NRL didn't he?

Banned

We should warm up against Catalan in netball skirts to wind him up.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We should warm up against Catalan in netball skirts to wind him up.
    Haha, love it, and have it as a rainbow laces game.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

He did mate yes

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Why not. Being serious for a moment though, the best way to deal with it is taking the •••• out of him and use it to put him off his game. I’m all for people having their own opinions and hate this “offended” society but you can’t be saying that as a public figure and not expect anything back. The bloke is ••••ing idiot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    The Wigoons have gone one better and play their Catalans game on Wigan Pride Day 22nd March.

Cracking move from Wigan.

In The South Stand

Rugby League loves shooting itself in the foot. Two days before the season starts and rather than talking about Toronto, can anyone catch us, the signings of the likes of Sonny Bill, Maloney, Widdop etc or who’ll go down, we’re putting our sport in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. I’m disappointed today. For a sport with its many formats that has vast inclusivity, this is a slap in the face to those growing the game, some within the game and many more outside of the game.

The statement from Elstone is a shambles. How anyone can genuinely write that and agree with it and then how anyone can read it and go “yeah, this is fine, we’ll release this” is beyond me. I’ve been critical of Elstone since his appointment but this really backs up my feelings that he’s not the man for the job and that he’s nothing more than a puppet.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I actually agree with the laces idea and would go one better and suggest Saints have a special shirt for the games with Catalan just like the Magic weekend shirt promoting inclusivity on all levels. Everything about this is shambles from Catalans who have no morals at all, to the RFL who should have taken a stronger stance. Let him challenge a ban in court if he wishes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

For what it’s worth I don’t believe he should be denied a contract because of what he said. Yes it’s stupid and offensive, but we can’t be ending careers over stupid and offensive opinions. He’s ruffled a few feathers, he’s created some enemies but he’s not killed anyone. He’s basically quoted some religious nonsense. Stop him earning a living because of it, surely not!?

By the way, what he said was ridiculous and I don’t agree with a word of it, but the same goes for most things to do with religion.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Most hypocritical post I've ever read.
    How so?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I think the RFL have looked at the fact that the Australia RFU have lost at court and chances are our rules aren't as strict as the NRL.

He's had an offer from a Super League Club, he could possibly argue he's not breached any operating standards (I would guess the RFL have nothing in place for homophobia) and therefore could look at taking them to court..

Personally I think it's publicity we could do without, his opinions are without doubt contrary to the game, and modern life, however as Elstone alluded to I don't think there was a choice

Just to leave people in no doubt I'm defending the RFLs decision, not the comments

Seemingly nobody is laying any blame at the door of Catalans

Starting A Programme Collection

All we need is Barba back and the super league show could be hosted by Jeremy kyle ��

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think the RFL have looked at the fact that the Australia RFU have lost at court

They didn't lose. They reached an out of court settlement (after, as Vinny says, 'doing the sums' in terms of legal costs even if they won the case), part of which was Folau publicly acknowledging his comments were wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For what it’s worth I don’t believe he should be denied a contract because of what he said. Yes it’s stupid and offensive, but we can’t be ending careers over stupid and offensive opinions. He’s ruffled a few feathers, he’s created some enemies but he’s not killed anyone. He’s basically quoted some religious nonsense. Stop him earning a living because of it, surely not!?

If a RU player would have said something equally hate-filled and derogatory about, say, people of a specific race, would you be similarly ambivalent to them being given a contract with a SL side and have the RFL/SL rubber-stamp it?

I don't care what the topic of their particular bigotry is, I don't want hate-inciting, prejudiced bigots playing RL in the top competitions.

I don't think this comes down to what comments people agree / disagree with its about what image these incidents portray our sport as. I think at best most people will have considered his comments distasteful.

One of the main things for me is the lack of consistency with how the game treats different people whether it's drugs cheats or physical violence.

Ben Barba has effectively had his career taken away. Yet, a lad from St Helens was recently convicted of throttling and beating his girlfriend but has been allowed to sign for Rochdale.

If we are effectively setting out a moral code for the sport then the powers that be need to set the boundaries and apply them consistently.

Personally I'm looking forward to hell. I reckon I'll know more people there and the music and parties will be better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If a RU player would have said something equally hate-filled and derogatory about, say, people of a specific race, would you be similarly ambivalent to them being given a contract with a SL side and have the RFL/SL rubber-stamp it?

I don't care what the topic of their particular bigotry is, I don't want hate-inciting, prejudiced bigots playing RL in the top competitions.
    I don’t regard his comments as hate-inciting any more than I do the rants of people calling Tory voters and wishing the likes of Leigh to burn. They are merely prejudices that any sensible person should ignore.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I don't think this comes down to what comments people agree / disagree with its about what image these incidents portray our sport as. I think at best most people will have considered his comments distasteful.

One of the main things for me is the lack of consistency with how the game treats different people whether it's drugs cheats or physical violence.

Ben Barba has effectively had his career taken away. Yet, a lad from St Helens was recently convicted of throttling and beating his girlfriend but has been allowed to sign for Rochdale.

If we are effectively setting out a moral code for the sport then the powers that be need to set the boundaries and apply them consistently.

Personally I'm looking forward to hell. I reckon I'll know more people there and the music and parties will be better!!
    In the words of Morrissey: ‘There is a place reserved in hell for me and my friends... All that we hope
    Is when we go our skin and our blood and our bones dont get in your way making you ill, the way they did, when we lived.’

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I don’t regard his comments as hate-inciting any more than I do the rants of people calling Tory voters and wishing the likes of Leigh to burn. They are merely prejudices that any sensible person should ignore.
    What political party someone votes for - or what sky fairy crap they choose to delude themselves with, or what sports team they decide to follow - is a personal choice and fair game.

But a person's race, gender, sexuality is genetic. That's the difference. Considering all the prejudice and often violence that's been inflicted on LGBT people over the years (and still is in some countries), having a high-profile personality condemning them is hardly helping guide people on the road to progressive enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

By the way, what he said was ridiculous and I don’t agree with a word of it, but the same goes for most things to do with religion.
    I tend to agree. I do have a (particular) issue with his last statements re the Australian bush fires being caused by homosexuals etc. He has also said people who have abortions and atheists will go to hell ( not sure an atheist is too worried). As much as I disagree with his statements he has not broken the law. If we start allowing individuals to say this or that person can or can’t ‘work’ for reasons not illegal we are in trouble.
    I have never been a defender of the SL suits but accept they had no option.
    I think we should look at what Catalans think they are getting out of this. A whole lot of grief IMO. I also think many fans will make their voices heard during the season. But I must also say we are kidding ourselves if we don’t have many RL fans who quietly agree with some of his views.

I also think that Wigan quickly announcing that their game v Catalans will be a Gay Pride game a little bit media grabbing..
    Their recent history of players behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Super League chief executive chairman Robert Elstone said "strict guidelines are in place" to avoid Folau again making such comments and warned that a repeat would see the player's contract being "terminated immediately". Catalans also face a "substantial fine" if Folau was to do so.

Seems the rfl had no real option but to let him sign,however they have made it clear he will be gone if he does it again. Seems to me it's the best of a bad situation. When you look at all the superleague teams there are probably a few players in each team who share his views but have been sensible enough not to air them in public

I go back to what I said, if Catalan had any morals or decency about themselves as a club, they wouldn't have signed him and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    You're the ••••ing idiot. Why are gays like you so bothered about what Folau says? If you don't believe in God, Heaven or Hell, it doesn't matter one bit. How come thieves, adulterers are no bothered? Why is one tiny minority obsessed with what he tweeted? Why are they constantly whining and complaining and waving their stupid flags in our faces? It's a mania with them verging on mental psychosis.
    Image of the game, what does it say about the sport, when it allows someone with extreme homophobic views to play? He has a platform that allows him a greater voice than an ordinary member of the public. There is a huge difference between saying i do not believe man should lie with man as it goes against my faith and saying they should burn in hell and are responsible for the bushfires in Australia as its Gods punishment. As someone previously said, would it be acceptable if instead of Gay people he said people of another ethnicity, would you accept that?

Banned

You're the ••••ing idiot. Why are gays like you so bothered about what Folau says? If you don't believe in God, Heaven or Hell, it doesn't matter one bit. How come thieves, adulterers are no bothered? Why is one tiny minority obsessed with what he tweeted? Why are they constantly whining and complaining and waving their stupid flags in our faces? It's a mania with them verging on mental psychosis.
    You’ve proved what a pillock you are by attacking probably the most ’unpolitically correct’ poster (Dave no offence intended) in what looks like a pretty feeble attempt to try to brush off what was said.

Ill remind you: it was a hateful, vindicative and horrid series of statements that reinforces bigotry and is deserving of the contempt it has received. In fact in the majority of workplaces those statements would amount to misconduct and disciplinary proceedings.

Oh and the reaction here and elsewhere should tell you its more than a ‘minority.’ As for comparing thieves and adulterers with homosexuals. Jesus wept.

I disagree