Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel Folau

Learning All The Songs

Default Israel Folau

It was mentioned on TalkSPORT this evening that Israel Folau may be close to signing for Catalan Dragons for the upcoming season. Folau lost his Rugby Australia contract after making homophobic comments along the lines of ‘hell awaits gay people’, a theme of which he has prior history of.

Whilst he is a quality player who has played both League and Union internationally i cannot look past his prior comments and think should his registration be accepted or should he have to commit to addressing his views through diversity training. Would the bad publicity he would bring outweigh the news of a player of his quality playing in the Super League?

Banned

Doubt they'd allow it to be honest. Although he was only expressing his religious beliefs in the same way SBW did, abeit in a less offensive way.

I think the outrage over his comments has largely run its course so there might not be too much public/press resistance particularly if the RFL/Super League promote such a signing as charitable in giving someone a further chance.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think the outrage over his comments has largely run its course so there might not be too much public/press resistance particularly if the RFL/Super League promote such a signing as charitable in giving someone a further chance.
    If it was the first or even second time i can see a case for that, but its not, he had aired that view multiple times previously, its not like he is not going to air it again. How many times must someone say or do the same unacceptable thing before you say no more?

In The South Stand

While i don't agree at all with what he said and i think he is a fool for doing what he did. We have let people who have taken drugs back into the game,we have taken people with convictions back into the game,we can't really take them back and not let someone back for speaking what they believe.

In The South Stand

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny to Saints if they signed him and I'd lose a little more respect for Catalans if they did. He's poisonous individual and one SL would be wise to stear clear of. If SL does have to accept his registration, which legally I think it might if he persued a claim for restriction of trade, it'd be wise to avoid promoting him or associating him with the competition.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    While i don't agree at all with what he said and i think he is a fool for doing what he did. We have let people who have taken drugs back into the game,we have taken people with convictions back into the game,we can't really take them back and not let someone back for speaking what they believe.
    I feel the same. I also don't think we should refuse his registration just because the NRL have done that. We were all annoyed at the RFL bending over backwards about Barba.

Given Folau won his unfair dismissal case against ARU it is hard to see how he can be blocked from working.

Rimmer will talk big then fold like a cheap suit.

In the end he is a quality player that will enhance the competition.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm not gay so it's easy for me not be offended but if that's what he thinks will happen if you are gay everyone knows he's talking a load of balls anyway, I think what Barba did was worse but no doubt the guy is a fool if he thinks he can publicly air those views and not receive a backlash, don't think it warrants his career to be over either,

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'm not gay so it's easy for me not be offended but if that's what he thinks will happen if you are gay everyone knows he's talking a load of balls anyway, I think what Barba did was worse but no doubt the guy is a fool if he thinks he can publicly air those views and not receive a backlash, don't think it warrants his career to be over either,
    What people fail to include about his statements is that it was not just homophobic> He stated that adulterers, gamblers and all sorts of people that dont live by the same code of ethics and beliefs as he does will go to hell. He didnt single out the LGBT community in any way.

I wouldnt personally touch him with a barge pole as his presence in a club could become toxic. As for forgive and forget that is for others to decide but his comments in a public forum were in no way professional in this day and age.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    What people fail to include about his statements is that it was not just homophobic> He stated that adulterers, gamblers and all sorts of people that dont live by the same code of ethics and beliefs as he does will go to hell. He didnt single out the LGBT community in any way.

I wouldnt personally touch him with a barge pole as his presence in a club could become toxic. As for forgive and forget that is for others to decide but his comments in a public forum were in no way professional in this day and age.
    Agree with this- and of course he has not been willing to retract anything he has said, so unlike others who have done things that go against sports codes of ethics he has refused to acknowledge he was wrong.

Wouldn't go near him.

A self-righteous, arrogant, judgemental, poisonous individual.

Banned

Lots of good points made in this thread and as mentioned it wasn't just homosexuals he spoke about. As someone who drinks and gambles I couldn't give a toss what he thinks. But I wouldn't expect to make comments like he did and be welcomed by any sporting organisation in this day and age, that said, I don't think he should be stopped from playing because of his beliefs and has apparently won his unfair dismissal case in any case. It's a strange one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

It would be tricky to find a shirt he could wear or a ground he could play at then.Given everything he opposes.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post

The post that got the most attention was the one that included all sinners. However there are numerous occasions where he has referred specifically to homosexuality, same sex marriage, abortion etc even going as far as suggesting they caused the fires in Australia as a response from god.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

He didnt actually win his case but the two parties reached a settlement. Reckon OZ RU did the sums and realised even if they won the case it would have been extremely lengthy and he would not have been able to pay costs so they took pragmatic approach and settled.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Wouldn't go near him.

Come on Ralph, get off the fence and tell us what you really feel about him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    He didnt actually win his case but the two parties reached a settlement. Reckon OZ RU did the sums and realised even if they won the case it would have been extremely lengthy and he would not have been able to pay costs so they took pragmatic approach and settled.
    Was going to post the same.

His views are poisonous and extremist and have served to whip-up hate against groups who have faced persecution in the past. As a society I'd prefer to think we've evolved past all that sort of crap, but there are still hate-filled cretins who cannot 'turn the other cheek' and just let other people live their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Come on Ralph, get off the fence and tell us what you really feel about him.
    It's not often I really bother with stuff like that but i think what he said is way, way over the top

All the Catalans should come out. Problem sorted.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Wouldn't go near him.

In the past there has been much worse said in pulpits than what falau stated.
    If it is part of his beliefs then he is entitled to his opinion.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Was going to post the same.

His views are poisonous and extremist and have served to whip-up hate against groups who have faced persecution in the past. As a society I'd prefer to think we've evolved past all that sort of crap, but there are still hate-filled cretins who cannot 'turn the other cheek' and just let other people live their lives.
    Most hypocritical post I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    In the past there has been much worse said in pulpits than what falau stated.
    If it is part of his beliefs then he is entitled to his opinion.
    I take your point.

Can tell straight away we won't agree on it so I'll accept your point & leave it there

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Either way, catalans have just announced it. His personal views aside, hes some player. Could be devastating

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Now confirmed to have signed for Catalans in a one year deal.