Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBW and Betfred

Learning All The Songs

Default SBW and Betfred

There is a few comments on some other threads on this I think it may be time for the RFL to stand up to this.
    Last year Tony Adams made similar comments and now probably the highest profile player on the planet openly dismisses our games sponsor. I have no gripe with anyone who says we should be aligning with a "blue ribbon" sponsor they may be correct in their ideals but sadly we have to take the sponsor we have.
    "bewaretheshadows" wrote a brilliant piece on imaginary "blue ribbon" companies that would stack up against any difference towards a gambling endorsement.

Ban him now, he is only looking to tarnish what ever reputation we have left.
    Last edited by Bronco; 25th January 2020 at 22:41. Reason: spelling

Banned

It's been on my mind for a couple of days now and I'm really quite annoyed by it. He's far and away the highest profile player in the comp' and he's making a song and dance about about one of it's main sponsors right before the season is about to kick off. If he was so against it maybe he shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place.

Gambling is legal in the UK and Canada as far as I'm aware, betting companies sponsor sporting events for obvious reasons and contribute to his wages. If he doesn't like that then maybe he should play in Saudi Arabia, that country that hosts the worlds most valuable horse race and breeds some of the best horses.

I actually hope the RFL fine them everytime he refuses to wear the sponsor. Not a chance that will happen though. I also think we should give him a confetti welcome with betting slips
    Last edited by Bronco; 25th January 2020 at 22:43.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Ironically, because of his worldwide profile, SBW's stance regarding the main sponsor of the league has just delivered Betfred the most amount of coverage they have probably ever had. As it's cited as being for religious reasons,along with his profile, the announcemnt will spill over away from the back pages and sport media into mainstream news - reaching a target market that Betfred's name on SL would never normally reach. It will also be raked up every game he doesn't wear a sponsor too. I'd say from a marketing perspective Betfred won't be bothered in the slightest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Ironically, because of his worldwide profile, SBW's stance regarding the main sponsor of the league has just delivered Betfred the most amount of coverage they have probably ever had. As it's cited as being for religious reasons,along with his profile, the announcemnt will spill over away from the back pages and sport media into mainstream news - reaching a target market that Betfred's name on SL would never normally reach. It will also be raked up every game he doesn't wear a sponsor too. I'd say from a marketing perspective Betfred won't be bothered in the slightest.
    That is a very good point.

It still winds me up though, you don't see Mo Salah complaining about various Liverpool sponsors or Cenk Tosun refusing to wear a shirt with SportPesa on it, both practicing Muslims, mainly because they're not that stupid and poorly advised.

Learning All The Songs

Pa•••• Cisse objected to Newcastle United being sponsored by Wonga in 2013 on ethical grounds. He backed down in the end but dont know what eventually happened to him

I enjoy a punt but betting sponsorship and adverts in some sportsis starting to get too much and whatever anyone says about choice is targetting the vulnerable and stats show is hooking in kids on phones at increasing rates .

Like it or not though the players and fans have to respect that our game is sponsored by a betting company and the logo is part of the game at the moment. No excpetions should be made. If they are where do you draw the line.

In The South Stand

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about at all. He is clearly a really good guy, gives a lot to charity and is now a clean living family man. He became muslim through finding himself lost in the world of celebrity, drinking, drugs, women etc and his belief gave him a path to improving himself. Good on him. I'm sure he doesn't agree with or practise everything in the Quran, but that's fine, he doesn't have to.

Having seen the social destruction gambling can cause really close over the last couple of years I'd suggest betting is one of those industries like smoking that just shouldn't be allowed to advertise, or should be severely limited to after 9 and only containing factual bits about their features or offers and nothing glamorising gambling.

The sponsor isn't likely to mind in this instance as SBW and the sponsors have been clever enough with the annoucement and SL launch photos all featuring SBW and the Betfred logo surrounding him. He just doesn't want to wear it on him. For me that's a non-issue. I believe it's happened before with Khattabi not wanting to wear a sponsors logo in France. I have no objections to it on a case by case basis. Perhaps they should make SBW pay a fee to charity in leui of wearing it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    At last some sense. I was scared to comment for fear of being called a racist!
    I don't think anyone has any problems with New Zealanders.

Learning All The Songs

Ok let’s face it what SBW has said has struck a cord with me. There are moves to stop gambling sponsorship of football ( especially the FA cup etc). RL has always HAD to accept the less socially acceptable sponsors, Regal, Silk Cut . Because of its perceived lower (I suppose I Have to use the term) social appeal.

I feel concerned about the fact a nicotine company sponsor our stadium and a gambling firm sponsor our league ( this is coming from someone who has an unhealthy but compliant relationship with alcohol). All these drugs and pastimes have a detrimental effect on the person who engages in them. Unfortunately for many people the relationship is extremely unhealthy.

I respect SBW for speaking out against gambling. I would do the same, but yes taking the money from the sponsor does make him a hypocrite but let’s face it he is an honest hypocrite in an world full of hypocrites.

Learning All The Songs

I thought TWP had their share of the commercial income taken off them? Not sure BetFred are really contributing to his wages at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    I thought TWP had their share of the commercial income taken off them? Not sure BetFred are really contributing to his wages at all.
    They don’t take any share of the the SL Sky money, I don’t know how it works with regard to sponsorship of the competition and how that is divied out

Banned

I'm torn on this.

I have nothing but derision for anyone who falls so much for that sky-fairy crap that they'd go to such lengths. FFS, think for yourself without being brainwashed by bullsh*t designed to control the masses and make them obedient and compliant. (Whatever religion)

But then, I want to see all gambling advertising banned, including sponsorships. Gambling companies are parasites, feeding off the addiction and desperation of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm torn on this.

I have nothing but derision for anyone who falls so much for that sky-fairy crap that they'd go to such lengths. FFS, think for yourself without being brainwashed by bullsh*t designed to control the masses and make them obedient and compliant. (Whatever religion)

But then, I want to see all gambling advertising banned, including sponsorships. Gambling companies are parasites, feeding off the addiction and desperation of people.
    You don’t sound very “torn”

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't think anyone has any problems with New Zealanders.
    Smart Arse you know exactly what I meant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    You don’t sound very “torn”
    If he or another player made a moral stand against gambling advertising, citing the societal damage it creates and the devastation it visits upon addicts, then I'd applaud them.

But whining some guff about sky fairy sh1te annoys the frig out of me.

I despise religion and the brainwashing control it exerts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Smart Arse you know exactly what I meant
    Yes, I know what you mean but it isn't a case of race or ethnicity so don't make it one.

Decided to delete the rest of my post as no doubt someone would get upset.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Sorry. Don't want to get involved in the SBW debate, but I'm afraid the writing's on the wall regarding betting companies and sport sponsorship.
    ...Mushy Peas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Sorry. Don't want to get involved in the SBW debate, but I'm afraid the writing's on the wall regarding betting companies and sport sponsorship.
    ...Mushy Peas anyone?
    I agree. I don’t think it will be long before it goes the same way as tobacco advertising.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Carry on the debate by all means but leave out all the rubbish please.

FWIW I think it’s really a non story blown out of all proportion.

@RedveeDotNet

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I agree. I donÂ’t think it will be long before it goes the same way as tobacco advertising.
    I have a good friend who had a gambling problem years ago, it led to him having to give up his job and the break up of his marriage. That was years ago, now when you're at the match and see fellas constantly updating their betting on the match and other events on their phones it's worrying, it should be like the tobacco industry, heavily taxed and more education as to it's dangers. Nothing wrong with making the effort to walk to the betting shop and having a small wager, but the ease with which bookmakers can take money off you is frightening. You only need to look at the town centre to see the problem, people who've given up on a useful life spending all day between betting shops and tacky bars. Whatever his religion SBW has made a point. He does appear to have turned his life around, a twelve month a year rugby player with a bit of professional boxing thrown in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I have a good friend who had a gambling problem years ago, it led to him having to give up his job and the break up of his marriage. That was years ago, now when you're at the match and see fellas constantly updating their betting on the match and other events on their phones it's worrying, it should be like the tobacco industry, heavily taxed and more education as to it's dangers. Nothing wrong with making the effort to walk to the betting shop and having a small wager, but the ease with which bookmakers can take money off you is frightening. You only need to look at the town centre to see the problem, people who've given up on a useful life spending all day between betting shops and tacky bars. Whatever his religion SBW has made a point. He does appear to have turned his life around, a twelve month a year rugby player with a bit of professional boxing thrown in.
    You do make a good point regarding the ease of access to betting sites, and I know what you mean when you see people in town but that is just gamblers, there's plenty of people with different problems, alcoholics, drug addicts, people who have have fell on hard times and been unlucky in life. I think that says more about our town and society in general at the moment.

My point is, I enjoy a bet and do so without a problem, I can't always get to a bookies so why should I be penalised because others can't control themselves? By the same logic we shouldn't be able to buy fags and booze in every other shop and garage.

You do make a good point regarding the ease of access to betting sites, and I know what you mean when you see people in town but that is just gamblers, there's plenty of people with different problems, alcoholics, drug addicts, people who have have fell on hard times and been unlucky in life. I think that says more about our town and society in general at the moment.

My point is, I enjoy a bet and do so without a problem, I can't always get to a bookies so why should I be penalised because others can't control themselves? By the same logic we shouldn't be able to buy fags and booze in every other shop and garage.
    Completely agree, nothing wrong with the occasional or even regular bet by responsible people, its the downward spiral into addiction thats aweful and also the rise of in game betting that I worry about, 72per cent of 365s revenue in 2017 was from in game betting, Denise Coates paid herself £265 million pound salary last year, no coincidence You will never see a poor boomaker That's why if someone highlights the problem, I've no problem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Completely agree, nothing wrong with the occasional or even regular bet by responsible people, its the downward spiral into addiction thats aweful and also the rise of in game betting that I worry about, 72per cent of 365s revenue in 2017 was from in game betting, Denise Coates paid herself £265 million pound salary last year, no coincidence You will never see a poor boomaker That's why if someone highlights the problem, I've no problem
    Any addiction is horrible and some people are more susceptible than others I guess. I don't have a problem with anyone highlighting that. I think I got on my soap box a bit because it always seems to be the same group of people complaining about things whilst being intolerant themselves.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

good publicity from my point of view. Betfred must be loving it.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Any addiction is horrible and some people are more susceptible than others I guess. I don't have a problem with anyone highlighting that. I think I got on my soap box a bit because it always seems to be the same group of people complaining about things whilst being intolerant themselves.
    I think you have made an important point here when you introduce the word "intolerant". I find intolerance a not very attractive human characteristic and is on display more than once in this thread. I just wish people would have more respect for views, attitudes and lifestyles which don't necessarily conform to their own.
    I'm surprised nobody has made comparisons and contrasts between SBW and Ben Barba and the issues which caused the latter' fall from grace.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Personally I don't see what the fuss is about at all. He is clearly a really good guy, gives a lot to charity and is now a clean living family man. He became muslim through finding himself lost in the world of celebrity, drinking, drugs, women etc and his belief gave him a path to improving himself. Good on him. I'm sure he doesn't agree with or practise everything in the Quran, but that's fine, he doesn't have to.

Having seen the social destruction gambling can cause really close over the last couple of years I'd suggest betting is one of those industries like smoking that just shouldn't be allowed to advertise, or should be severely limited to after 9 and only containing factual bits about their features or offers and nothing glamorising gambling.

The sponsor isn't likely to mind in this instance as SBW and the sponsors have been clever enough with the annoucement and SL launch photos all featuring SBW and the Betfred logo surrounding him. He just doesn't want to wear it on him. For me that's a non-issue. I believe it's happened before with Khattabi not wanting to wear a sponsors logo in France. I have no objections to it on a case by case basis. Perhaps they should make SBW pay a fee to charity in leui of wearing it.
    I have no gripe with his views on gambling or religious beliefs, I have a problem when a sponsor is rebuffed publicly.
    We nearly started a season a few years ago with no sponsor, Betfred came on board and have put up money unlike the previous incumbents. Has SBW got an alternative sponsor? Did Tony Adams have an alternative sponsor? Shut up or put up, publicly at least.
    As far as turning his life around, good luck to the man I wish him well, well done for finding peace and happiness.
    As far as being an honest hypocrite, he refused to wear a bank logo when playing for the All Blacks yet he has said that his salary Canadian $5 million over two years is more than Betfred is putting up! Use that to beat our sponsor over the head if you wish.
    I can only presume his salary is being paid in bitcoin or untouched notes fresh off the press not contaminated by a bank.
    Maybe this is how Moran is paying his club`s players to get around the cap at Wire.
    I have never met SBW and can only presume he is a decent enough chap, his morals are undeniably hypocritical.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 26th January 2020 at 14:03. Reason: spelling