Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sky to launch new weekly RL show

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Sounds good, hopefully the make a decent fist of it.

In The South Stand

If it's done professionally it can only be good for the game. Hopefully it'll get away from the "flat cap and whippets" presentation delivered by Barry and Terry. We need to move forward!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Will Perry is doing it, so certainly not a flat cap type.. usually very funny

*Just read the article which confirms Perry is doing it

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m interested to see how this goes actually. McDermott and O’Connor are obviously passionate about the sport but I think we’re behind other sports when it comes to analysis. Sean Long was in the studio before a game last season and he went into more detail in about 15 mins than those two have done since they got involved.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m interested to see how this goes actually. McDermott and O’Connor are obviously passionate about the sport but I think we’re behind other sports when it comes to analysis. Sean Long was in the studio before a game last season and he went into more detail in about 15 mins than those two have done since they got involved.
    It’s on tomorrow at 7.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The fella behind the documentaries is quoted in the League Express saying he wants RL to be a sport watched by Americans in bars, and wants the weekly show to look like a 'Nike advert' because he knows 'what is cool'. All the buzz words and sentences he used with the aim of exciting people made me cringe to be honest. But, I suppose I'm not the target audience for this show, strangely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    The fella behind the documentaries is quoted in the League Express saying he wants RL to be a sport watched by Americans in bars, and wants the weekly show to look like a 'Nike advert' because he knows 'what is cool'. All the buzz words and sentences he used with the aim of exciting people made me cringe to be honest. But, I suppose I'm not the target audience for this show, strangely.
    I suppose this in one of the conundrums in life - how do you attract the attention of potential new fans to a niche sport without creating something that doesn’t alienate the current supporter base? The show might be a bit like the early Super League era Bradford Bulls who attracted new viewers with a mix of pre-game entertainment and a variety of in-game singing which many traditionalists despised. Unfortunately, the efforts were transient and the Bulls 20,000 fan base is no more than a distant memory.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I suppose we'll just have to wait and see and judge for ourselves when the 1st episode airs this week.

The new season definitely has a different 'fresher' vibe to it. Some things may work, some may not but at least they appear to be trying now. I really liked the new advert to promote the season, thought it perfectly encapsulated what the sport is about, so I'm hopeful that the new content and ideas (new weekly TV programme and docuseries) will be good to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    The new season definitely has a different 'fresher' vibe to it. Some things may work, some may not but at least they appear to be trying now. I really liked the new advert to promote the season, thought it perfectly encapsulated what the sport is about, so I'm hopeful that the new content and ideas (new weekly TV programme and docuseries) will be good to watch.
    I agree, some effort is being made this year which is encouraging. I'm definitely willing to give the new shows a go and hope for the best.

Got A Season Ticket

The weekly show is on tonight but haven't yet found where/when the documentaries are are on. Anyone know?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    The weekly show is on tonight but haven't yet found where/when the documentaries are are on. Anyone know?
    1st one starts tomorrow night at 10pm on Sky Sports Main Event. Not sure when they're on Amazon Prime though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

/
    Last edited by Mal; 29th January 2020 at 14:56. Reason: wrong information

Got A Season Ticket

1st one starts tomorrow night at 10pm on Sky Sports Main Event. Not sure when they're on Amazon Prime though.
    Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Don’t know what to make of her new show. When it first started I thought the set looked really cheap, with the two presenters not addressing the camera which also seemed to be miles away from them. I liked the alternative filming and camera angles from the GF and the filming of the Leeds team training. Burgess was a bit boring though. The feature with Hurrell watching the first game of last season was also underwhelming. I also thought they could have done a season prediction and some kind of profile and discussion of each team. The sound also didn’t sound right. Hope it gets better in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Don’t know what to make of her new show. When it first started I thought the set looked really cheap, with the two presenters not addressing the camera which also seemed to be miles away from them. I liked the alternative filming and camera angles from the GF and the filming of the Leeds team training. Burgess was a bit boring though. The feature with Hurrell watching the first game of last season was also underwhelming. I also thought they could have done a season prediction and some kind of profile and discussion of each team. The sound also didn’t sound right. Hope it gets better in the coming weeks.
    Thought it was decent - a modern look to it. I think it will live and die by how interesting the guest is but I thought the features were good. I think they are trying to be a bit different in not doing the usual season preview/team profiles - there are umpteen of those around and in fact there’s one on before the game tomorrow, so I can see why they didn’t go down that route

Banned

Bloody SkyGo didn't work off my phone to record it.

I tend to agree. It was all a bit flat. I don’t like Will Perry as he’s just a bit of dick. The female presenter was a little bit pushed out.
    As you say Burgess was boring. Didn’t mind the GF stuff. The game review has potential but Hurrell was a poor choice. I will stick with it as maybe it needs the season to start. Just wish Perry was not doing it. He reminds me of a Rugby League groupie.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Yeah, i can agree with that, a pretty fair assessment, hopefully it will improve as it goes on, but it is certainly better than the lack of presence outside of games and highlights on Sky since Boots ‘N’ All finished.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Enjoyed the angle, to be honest I get bored of the "how do you think saints will go?" "Yeah they'll be fine, they've not had many changes" same old.. I'd much rather see features such as the training feature, thought the grand final video was excellent..

George Burgess with his black hair was boring, but it was nice that Perry mentioned the gouging twice, he's probably not had many ask him that

It's worth remembering that Will Perry is an actual presenter, whereas Farrell isn't.

Got A Season Ticket

I definitely think having an actual presenter who knows about rugby rather than an ex player given 20 minutes of media training is an improvement.

George Burgess was boring but with better guests and more interesting segments as the season progresses - there’s not much you can discuss pre-season, we need a few incidents/controversial decisions to discuss.

I’ll stick with it and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    I definitely think having an actual presenter who knows about rugby rather than an ex player given 20 minutes of media training is an improvement.

George Burgess was boring but with better guests and more interesting segments as the season progresses - there’s not much you can discuss pre-season, we need a few incidents/controversial decisions to discuss.

I’ll stick with it and see how it goes.
    I’m guessing it was recorded before the Folau signing.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Amazon Prime is for the international audience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Thought it was a decent start. Nice set up and the GF highlights were really well done. The TWP was quite annoying although I could see what they were trying to do.

Not a real fan of Perry, I thought he was quite wooden as was Lois who doesn't appear to be that well rehearsed in prestenting yet. Very early days and they will improve as they go on. They also weren't helped by Burgess and Hurrell having similar personalities of a pair of dead ants.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Bit disjointed but did enjoy it.

I get what they are trying to do. But echo other sentiments on here, Burgess and Hurrell where poor choices as guests.

Tidy up the shaking cameras and a bit better audio.

I liked the female presenter. Would like to see her bit more involved with the interviews. To add to that, it was nice to see presenters who could string a sentence together.

I hope it is given time to evolve into something good for the game.