Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warrington sign Tongan prop Leilani Latu

Learning All The Songs

Anyone know if they have increased the size of their physio department this season? It seems like they may need a few more treatment tables, i assume Widdop has a personalised one given how often hes on one.

I think we’re all wrong about Latu. I’m sure he’s said that he always wanted to play in Super League and his dismal performances at the Titans were therefore merely to allow him to get an early release from his contract.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Quotes from Titans: 1) Whoever at the club managed to polish that turd into an "offloadable" commodity deserves a lobster dinner............ 2) Like a Belated Xmas Present

He was on a decent Salary at the Titans seems more of a "deadwood financial clear out".
    He may well have the same agent as Paulo, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Which non-fed trained player do you think Warrington will be releasing to make way for him, Wolfie?

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Which non-fed trained player do you think Warrington will be releasing to make way for him, Wolfie?
    As I understand the rules you can’t register more overseas/NFT players than the quota, the RFL must have decided that we are not over or granted an exemption. Best I can do I’m afraid.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Sure I read somewhere that Widdop doesn't count and that's how they've got round it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Sure I read somewhere that Widdop doesn't count and that's how they've got round it.
    Widdop wouldn't count on the old-school quota, but according to all the definitions stated by the RFL he does count as Non-Fed (he's even used as a specific example in this article explaining the system, as is Luther Burrell).

I make it 8 non-fed players in their 2020 squad:

1. Gelling
    2. Austin
    3. Widdop
    4. Murdoch-Masila
    5. Clark (Jason)
    6. Mamo
    7. Akauola
    8. Burrell
    Last edited by Dux; 23rd January 2020 at 16:27.

Learning All The Songs

As I understand the rules you can’t register more overseas/NFT players than the quota, the RFL must have decided that we are not over or granted an exemption. Best I can do I’m afraid.

Would be typical of the RFL to either fudge the rules or circumvent them completely for a few clubs, by definition of the NFT rule Widdop is a NFT player, you had 8 last year including Luther Burrell who was exempt, Goodwin goes and you add Widdop, Gelling and this bloke, something smells off in this.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Widdop wouldn't count on the old-school quota, but according to all the definitions stated by the RFL he does count as Non-Fed (he's even used as a specific example in this article explaining the system, as is Luther Burrell).

1. Gelling
    2. Austin
    3. Widdop
    4. Murdoch-Masila
    5. Clark (Jason)
    6. Mamo
    7. Akauola
    8. Burrell
    Maybe one or more has a European passport?

Edit. Sorry, still a bit confused over the Non-Fed trained thing!

Learning All The Songs

1. Gelling
    2. Austin
    3. Widdop
    4. Murdoch-Masila
    5. Clark (Jason)
    6. Mamo
    7. Akauola
    8. Burrell
    9 now with Latu signing, its blatantly obvious the RFL have either made a mistake, or more likely, just ignored their own rules.

The article from Dux does say that Burrell isn't counted.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I think there was some dispensation for him last year, though I think that may have been salary. Does Gelling count after spending more than 6 years in the UK. Not sure if the 6 years need to be consecutive? The whole thing with Club trained Fed/Non Fed is a bit of a thick soup.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Right you are - I should have read it to the end! But even if you cross Burrell off, with Latu added to the list they're still at 8.

Regarding your other question about the passport: that is entirely separate from the non-fed rule, which is based entirely on where you learned your trade. So even though Widdop is English he counts as he has been at Australian clubs for his entire professional career.

I can only guess that Wire have managed to weasel an exemption out of the RFL for Widdop, but that's pretty dodgy if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think there was some dispensation for him last year, though I think that may have been salary. Does Gelling count after spending more than 6 years in the UK. Not sure if the 6 years need to be consecutive? The whole thing with Club trained Fed/Non Fed is a bit of a thick soup.
    No, Non-Fed status doesn't change over time - Gelling will/should still be on the list.

No, Non-Fed status doesn't change over time - Gelling will/should still be on the list.
    Is it the Widnes connection again? Released 'due to financial issues'?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Thanks mate . Like to see where Warrington end up with this and what excuses are made if they get an exemption. Maybe because they haven't won it for 65 years.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Thanks mate . Like to see where Warrington end up with this and what excuses are made if they get an exemption. Maybe because they haven't won it for 65 years.
    I like the sound of that exemption.

Banned

I like the sound of that exemption.
    Sounds great, having to pull strokes to sign some no mark. It's like you sitting in a bus stop drinking warm skol while we sit in a leather wingback drinking a nice Chateau Margaux.

I'm sure you will feel the same way when he signs Luke Thompson.
    One of the drawbacks of bringing top quality through your academy. Something Wire don't understand.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There is a bit of a difference though when we find a player that eventually doesn't meet our standards we reject and offload them only to find Wire coming knocking at the door in Savelio, Tasi, Smith for example. We don't sign Warrington rejects, for Scully it was Scully who rejected Warrington and joined a better competitive team. For Paulo my gut feeling is that he will be a much better player this season under our new coach, if not time may well tell and he could be on the warrington shopping list.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

There is a bit of a difference though when we find a player that eventually doesn't meet our standards we reject and offload them only to find Wire coming knocking at the door in Savelio, Tasi, Smith for example. We don't sign Warrington rejects, for Scully it was Scully who rejected Warrington and joined a better competitive team. For Paulo my gut feeling is that he will be a much better player this season under our new coach, if not time may well tell and he could be on the warrington shopping list.
    A very valid point about our youth set up has been made on here, I’m not the only Wire supporter scratching their head about it. However using the example of Smith to beat us with has no validity. An end of season loan player hardly warrants consideration. Savelio I’m not sure counts as a reject given the circumstances. As for Tasi, squad filler in a salary capped sport, and despite the conspiracy theories on here, we are subject to the Cap like everyone else.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Paulo is an interesting one, almost all your underperforming players improved under Holbrook. Paulo didn’t, why do you think Woolfe will get more out of him?

Learning All The Songs

I am sure Paulo wasn't unhappy to see JH leave .Its now up to him to prove he is worth a place in the match day squad.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I'm sure you will feel the same way when he signs Luke Thompson.
    Something you lot will never do, first James Graham rolled off the production line and became a star in Aus. Then Thompson rolls off and maybe will make himself a star in Aus, another one will come before long. You have Mr Gumshield Hill, the soft arse who can dish it out but not take it, to keep you happy.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Paulo didn’t, why do you think Woolfe will get more out of him?
    Not sure he can get less out of him based on last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste