Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Game Move ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    Don't go then, simple. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay that kind of money then it's not the end of the world is it? Is your life over if you miss one away game??
    No I guess not. It's just the whole farce of it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm a bit confused over the Toronto piece on sky's website. McDermott is talking about additional teams, it then says that Hemel have been given permission to relocate. To Canada? The article then continues about Toronto. How do you relocate a non professional club thousands of miles away? Do they just take the name, or is this just shoddy writing from Sky?
    Can't make head nor tail of it myself to be honest

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm a bit confused over the Toronto piece on sky's website. McDermott is talking about additional teams, it then says that Hemel have been given permission to relocate. To Canada? The article then continues about Toronto. How do you relocate a non professional club thousands of miles away? Do they just take the name, or is this just shoddy writing from Sky?
    Hemel still had a licence when they pulled out of League One, Eric Perez (the bloke behind Toronto) bought the licence, not the Hemel club itself, and is using that licence to start off Ottawa.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

I've totally changed my opinion of these clowns. They're an absolute shambles and I hope they get caned on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I've totally changed my opinion of these clowns. They're an absolute shambles and I hope they get caned on a weekly basis.

There is Hull's teamtalk done for them.

All for expansion. Just want a plan and groundwork rather than this nonsense

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    There is Hull's teamtalk done for them.

All for expansion. Just want a plan and groundwork rather than this nonsense
    He's never been the smartest but that's just plain stupidity. Pearson was right in what he said, Hull are taking 1500 there, I'd imagine we'll take a similar number and so will Wigan, others will also travel there in decent numbers but they'll bring next to no one, they're an average at best team and have moaned about everything so far. You'd think they'd be trying to ingratiate themselves instead of bitching, moaning and asking for special treatment. •••• off and get back in you box.

In The South Stand

Cannot stand McDermott, hope they get relegated. They've mismanaged the cap, they brought in their marquee players last year and are suffering this year for throwing a load of money at SBW.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I always liked and respected BM at Leeds, he was a straight talker but talked sense. In his last year at Leeds I think he started to lose the plot, starting jumping on each word in interviews by Bill Arthur, Angela Powers etc to the point now I think it's the ramblings of a mad man... And if I ever see him I'll say to his face.... Alright Brian mate ��

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I always liked and respected BM at Leeds, he was a straight talker but talked sense. In his last year at Leeds I think he started to lose the plot, starting jumping on each word in interviews by Bill Arthur, Angela Powers etc to the point now I think it's the ramblings of a mad man... And if I ever see him I'll say to his face.... Alright Brian mate ��
    Unfortunately Paul you’d have to get on a plane and fly first

Learning All The Songs

To be fair he has a point about SBW not being particularly relevant as far as cap management is concerned. As he's a marquee only a small portion actually counts on the cap. The cap is also (rightly in my view) skewed towards teams with community/academy frameworks. For expansion clubs you either plod away at the bottom for decades building up slowly or you have to buy in what we get for cheap from the academy. Pearson is also a whiny so and so who talks a lot but delivers little.

That said, hoping TWP start doing their talking on the pitch soon because for all the good publicity they're getting for them and SL they're doing far too much whining themselves.

Got A Season Ticket

Game just over a month away and I want to sort our tickets to go with our London Hotel and it seems no-one actually know where this game will be played. Total farce.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Hemel still had a licence when they pulled out of League One, Eric Perez (the bloke behind Toronto) bought the licence, not the Hemel club itself, and is using that licence to start off Ottawa.
    Thanks

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTSAM View Post
    Game just over a month away and I want to sort our tickets to go with our London Hotel and it seems no-one actually know where this game will be played. Total farce.
    According to the London Sckolars an announcement is due early this week but it will be played in London. I can't see it being played anywhere apart from Ealing but maybe that's why it keeps being delayed.

Banned

We should all boycott the fixture and make them look stupid. I wouldn't go with a free ticket and coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Heard the game will now be moving to the HJ Stadium, which is a bit of a farce if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I've never massively rated him as a coach. Obviously he's a tough fella and probably inspires loyalty and commitment from his players, but I always thought that his Leeds teams played when they could be bothered more than because he wanted them to. I think the likes of Peacock, Sinfield, McGuire, Burrow and co worked the system well and turned up when needed.

In that 2015 season when they wanted Peacock and Sinfield to go out on a high they turned it on all season, but I never sensed McDermott actually had much of a say in it. And the same in 2017 they won the games they needed to in order to send McGuire and Burrow off with the title as well. For them to win that Grand Final in 2017 yet finish bottom 4 either side of it tells me that he isn't a great coach and pretty much relied on his star players to win games when they wanted to.

Game now confirmed to be played at Warrington’s ground...

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/01/2...to-warrington/

Refunds for any lost travel etc can be applied for..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post

The gate would be bigger if they moved it a few miles further to the north west to St. Helens’ ground.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Heard the game will now be moving to the HJ Stadium, which is a bit of a farce if true.
    A man of integral sources. :-)

I had been sympathetic to this club initially, but it's starting to get silly now. Whether I get a refund or not, it's still a balls-up. A day in London scuppered. Many of us had booked accommodation and I doubt they'll make it easy for us to get that refund.

Why they couldn't have found another London venue, I don't know. Have they even tried or is this an excuse to move it close to St. Helens because they know they will get a couple of thousand extra at Warrington?

Whatever, the whole thing is a joke. They can't play home games till May. They expect special dispensations, and the absolute cast iron reality is that the whole experiment is not sustainable.

They do get good crowds and it will be a shame for those people over there who have took the game to their hearts, but we all know that in five years time there will be no Toronto Wolfpack, because their whole future existence has to be based upon the game taking off over there on a much broader basis. That isn't going to happen and everybody sane knows it.

It's a fad and once they start to lose every week rather than rolling teams over, the gates will plummet and the club will go the way of all the other expansion clubs.

Oh, and I can just see the part-time players of West Wales and Coventry all getting the time off work for three trips to Ottawa, New York and Belgrade!!! Just what planet are these dreamers on?

Why is it that nobody at the RFL ever sees what is staring them in the face?
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

All getting a bit sorry, this Toronto thing, isn’t it? Four weeks to the game and the venue wasn’t confirmed and when it was it was hundreds of miles from where it was originally supposed to be played and then there’s the whole salary cap thing. It appears that Toronto have “overspent” in salary cap terms either to attract players to the club in the first place or because they’ve been poorly run and overpaid for players and now they’re having a whinge days before their first game at Super League level.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    A man of integral sources. :-)

I had been sympathetic to this club initially, but it's starting to get silly now. Whether I get a refund or not, it's still a balls-up. A day in London scuppered. Many of us had booked accommodation and I doubt they'll make it easy for us to get that refund.

Why they couldn't have found another London venue, I don't know. Have they even tried or is this an excuse to move it close to St. Helens because they know they will get a couple of thousand extra at Warrington?

Whatever, the whole thing is a joke. They can't play home games till May. They expect special dispensations, and the absolute cast iron reality is that the whole experiment is not sustainable.

They do get good crowds and it will be a shame for those people over there who have took the game to their hearts, but we all know that in five years time there will be no Toronto Wolfpack, because their whole future existence has to be based upon the game taking off over there on a much broader basis. That isn't going to happen and everybody sane knows it.

It's a fad and once they start to lose every week rather than rolling teams over, the gates will plummet and the club will go the way of all the other expansion clubs.

Oh, and I can just see the part-time players of West Wales and Coventry all getting the time off work for three trips to Ottawa, New York and Belgrade!!! Just what planet are these dreamers on?

Why is it that nobody at the RFL ever sees what is staring them in the face?
    It's all so very sad watching this sport jump up & down on the self destruct button whilst Union's scandal in Saracens, seems to have been dealt with rather efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    All getting a bit sorry, this Toronto thing, isn’t it? Four weeks to the game and the venue wasn’t confirmed and when it was it was hundreds of miles from where it was originally supposed to be played and then there’s the whole salary cap thing. It appears that Toronto have “overspent” in salary cap terms either to attract players to the club in the first place or because they’ve been poorly run and overpaid for players and now they’re having a whinge days before their first game at Super League level.
    It's all a bit of a mess DC

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    The gate would be bigger if they moved it a few miles further to the north west to St. Helens’ ground.
    That's a ridiculously logical idea

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It's all so very sad watching this sport jump up & down on the self destruct button whilst Union's scandal in Saracens, seems to have been dealt with rather efficiently
    Are you being subtly ironic again, Ralph? I'd say the Saracens scandal has been an absolute cock-up in PR, governance and any other terms you care to think of. In fact, it's comforting that Rugby Union can also get things so wrong...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post

Just waiting for the final fiasco Fitzpatrick has suggested that Robert Hicks officiates this game. Will suit quite a few Toronto players only living 30 mins drive away.