Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Game Move ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    When this Toronto nonsense falls on its backside, I won't be in the least bit surprised.

You cannot just plonk a team from across the Canada in a 'European' league.

The game needs to have a significant presence in Canada/North America first & a player development programme. There are no foundations to this. Built on sand.

We've signed Sonny Bill? So what? I really do not get it. It's a Canadian team in name only. Nothing remotely Canadian about it bar that and where they (sometimes) play their home games.

Beyond farcical. Another gimmick in the sport that is all about gimmicks
    Sadly this sums up RL. It reinforces the impression of a weak sport that has both a poor commercial profile and one that needs gimmicks to attract new followers.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    PSG, Gateshead, Celtic Crusaders, Celtic Crusaders V2.0, London V1 - whatever new home/name comination we are up to...Have we as a sport not spent enough time, money and resource to know how to launch a club? Or as it's failed everytime apart from Catalan (were RL was at least played at a lower level) are we hoping to drop lucky this time?

We might as well look at BeNeLux & Nordic regions or Germany for the next expansion plan, at least it's closer with more regular flights.
    How much time, money and resources have the RFL or Super League put into this?

Got A Season Ticket

For all these doom and gloomers about Toronto just give it some time. I've seen first hand the work the Wolfpack are doing and whilst mistakes are being made along the way they are trying to showcase the sport outside of the M62 corridor. The Saracens game move has come from Saracens not the Wolfpack. The goalposts kept being moved and eventually the Wolfpack said shove it. Ealing isn't ideal and other venues have been explored but given the time frame it is what it is.

I'm looking forward to fans coming over to Toronto to experience the event. Because that's what it will be. 10,000 fans in a stadium. How many other Super League teams are going to have those attendances this year?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstersaint View Post
    For all these doom and gloomers about Toronto just give it some time. I've seen first hand the work the Wolfpack are doing and whilst mistakes are being made along the way they are trying to showcase the sport outside of the M62 corridor. The Saracens game move has come from Saracens not the Wolfpack. The goalposts kept being moved and eventually the Wolfpack said shove it. Ealing isn't ideal and other venues have been explored but given the time frame it is what it is.
    Give me Toronto Wolfpack any day to the likes of Leigh & Fev.
    I'm looking forward to fans coming over to Toronto to experience the event. Because that's what it will be. 10,000 fans in a stadium. How many other Super League teams are going to have those attendances this year?

How's the youth teams doing?

Banned

Well said.

I hope it develops and other clubs over their spring up. They're a trailblazer and doing it a bit differently.

Or we're going to be stuck with clubs like Batley, Swinton and Dewsbury with their few-hundred fans. But, like, at least they're die-hards....

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

How much time, money and resources have the RFL or Super League put into this?
    I have no idea how much time, money or resource have been put into THIS! I was referencing what had been done in the past as a comparison. Surely since launching PSG in 1996 and other projects since, there would be plan for how to or not to do it. What lessons have been learnt to 1) make it a success 2) stop the sport having yet another failed project team.

Whilst the game being moved may have been initiated by Saracens, it doesn't look good to the outside or casual fan.

Mathew Shaw on twitter confirms Toronto v Saints will NOT take place. Almost certainly to be now at Trailfinders ground! But nothing confirmed.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

I won’t go on about attendances and academies and the like, I feel it’s stupid to mention it when you’re talking about a club that is still very new to the game.

However, I will mention the venues. When they were promoted, they mentioned about taking games to Amsterdam, Belgrade and Rotterdam amongst other places, they’re taking games to Leeds, Toulouse and North West London and even then, it’s being relocated at six weeks’ notice to a ground in Ealing that resembles Ruskin Drive. For all this talk of “changing Rugby League forever” and the hyperbole and hysteria they create, they’re delivering very little.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Well said.

I hope it develops and other clubs over their spring up. They're a trailblazer and doing it a bit differently.

Or we're going to be stuck with clubs like Batley, Swinton and Dewsbury with their few-hundred fans. But, like, at least they're die-hards....
    Whereas people who watch Saints for the away days like me have one less to go to.

I have absolutely no positivity about this gimmicky, pie in the sky idea. It is ridiculous. I'll say no more until it goes wrong

I was / am for expansion and want to see the Toronto model work. But I have to say after watching the documentary on them and the things that have happened so far I am now convinced that they are a whack job club. Today’s press conference has the coach saying Toronto will redefine RL.
    You would think ‘Hey let’s play a season in SL make friends get fans to enjoy the away trip etc’. But no, they moan about the salary cap ( rumour because SBW has a knee injury) and are struggling for players. Asking for special measures ( which they have already got in other ways).
    Muting they are looking at picking off Saracen players if possible..I have been a defender of Brian McDermott previously but after seeing him on the documentary and the things he has said recently I think he has lost his mind..
    It’s not a good start.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

I have been lucky enough to spend time with RL great people like Schofield very entertaining. Paul Rowley a top lad just to name two. Two others Brian McDermott and Karl Harrisson well you can't win em all.

Got A Season Ticket

How's the youth teams doing?
    How is Salfords?

Learning All The Songs

I’d sooner give Toronto time and see how they go. I’d rather have them in the SL than either Fev or Leigh, both clubs offer nothing. Fev are just a Leeds Reserve side while Leigh have got a basket case putting money into the club then deciding to not bother, then change his mind again until things don’t go his way.

How is Salfords?
    Fair enough.

So what are Toronto bringing to the table that's different. Bar a really expensive away trip? And believe me, I love to travel, but when I watch my team in a European comp, I don't think it's the best having to fork out best part of 1500 quid for a league fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I’d sooner give Toronto time and see how they go. I’d rather have them in the SL than either Fev or Leigh, both clubs offer nothing. Fev are just a Leeds Reserve side while Leigh have got a basket case putting money into the club then deciding to not bother, then change his mind again until things don’t go his way.
    Toronto offer nothing either. As has already been stated, complete farce

Banned

I think Ralph may have been jilted by a Canadian bird at some point.

In The South Stand

My “gripe”, which is arguably a bit harsh, with the Saints game is just how poor it’s all been. As someone who works in London, I have seen absolutely nothing in terms of marketing or engagement in any way. I’ve had people I work with become intrigued by Toronto, largely due to the Sonny Bill signing, and when I’ve told them about the game at Saracens, they’ve acted in complete shock and knew nothing about it. It may have been because they couldn’t guarantee the use of the stadium but if the guarantee of 5k was needed, they’ve done absolutely nothing to attempt to engage the people of London at all.

Even moving it to London Broncos isn’t ideal. It’s comparable to Ruskin Drive in many ways, that’s hardly going to paint the game and Toronto in a particularly great light. The idea of a “London Series” isn’t a bad one, with Broncos possibly holding three games (London S v North Wales, Broncos v Sheffield and Toronto v Saints) that day. You could potentially market three games and showcase the sport and London’s clubs quite well but with six weeks notice, I will be surprised if they even get 2k through the door now.

Got A Season Ticket

SBW refusing to wear the Toronto shirt unless Bet Fred label taken off it says in this mornings paper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    SBW refusing to wear the Toronto shirt unless Bet Fred label taken off it says in this mornings paper
    I wonder if he'll refuse any wages that may come about due to this sponsorship?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    From looking at him in the new Toronto shirt, there isn’t any Betfred signage on the arm of the shirt anyway. Whether that was a “special” shirt for him or it’s the way we’re going, I’m not sure.

Fair enough.

So what are Toronto bringing to the table that's different. Bar a really expensive away trip? And believe me, I love to travel, but when I watch my team in a European comp, I don't think it's the best having to fork out best part of 1500 quid for a league fixture.
    Don't go then, simple. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay that kind of money then it's not the end of the world is it? Is your life over if you miss one away game??
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    From looking at him in the new Toronto shirt, there isn’t any Betfred signage on the arm of the shirt anyway. Whether that was a “special” shirt for him or it’s the way we’re going, I’m not sure.
    Was for him due to his religious beliefs..

Apparently did a similar thing in Union with a betting company

Seems it's now been agreed

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'm a bit confused over the Toronto piece on sky's website. McDermott is talking about additional teams, it then says that Hemel have been given permission to relocate. To Canada? The article then continues about Toronto. How do you relocate a non professional club thousands of miles away? Do they just take the name, or is this just shoddy writing from Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think Ralph may have been jilted by a Canadian bird at some point.
    American