Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Game Move ?

Default Toronto Game Move ?

https://www.totalrl.com/torontos-hom...it-on-stanley/

Ealing Trailfinders or Newcastle

Would prefer Rotterdam or Coventry in that order.

Banned

Hopefully they play it on actual grass instead of bloody plastic.

Not like Rugby League to not know what part of the country a game will be played less than 6 weeks before it takes place.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was slightly worried then! Thought it was the game actually in Toronto!

In The South Stand

Firstly, why is it being moved? There’s no explanation there at all as to why it’s potentially being moved. You would think that Saracens, if they own the ground, would be more than happy for some extra income at a time when their reputation is in tatters and they’re going to have to plan for less income next season, due to less demand to watch second division rugby union instead of the Champions Cup opposition they face now. It wouldn’t surprise me if this is some terrible Rugby League journalist putting two and two together and getting 500,000,000 as the answer.

If it is to be moved, I’m not sure how Toronto or Super League could justify a game being moved 279 miles away with roughly five weeks’ notice. Fans are the lowest priority but I’m sure coaches, trains and hotels have been paid for by some Saints fans and moving a game to the opposite end of the country on such short notice should not be allowed. I think they’ll keep it in London, Toronto have been keen to establish links in London, they’ve played “home” games in London since they come into the game, at London Skolars, so I don’t see why they’d want to lose that and go to Newcastle instead.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Toronto may take the game on the road to St Helens? ��

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Firstly, why is it being moved? There’s no explanation there at all as to why it’s potentially being moved. You would think that Saracens, if they own the ground, would be more than happy for some extra income at a time when their reputation is in tatters and they’re going to have to plan for less income next season, due to less demand to watch second division rugby union instead of the Champions Cup opposition they face now. It wouldn’t surprise me if this is some terrible Rugby League journalist putting two and two together and getting 500,000,000 as the answer.

If it is to be moved, I’m not sure how Toronto or Super League could justify a game being moved 279 miles away with roughly five weeks’ notice. Fans are the lowest priority but I’m sure coaches, trains and hotels have been paid for by some Saints fans and moving a game to the opposite end of the country on such short notice should not be allowed. I think they’ll keep it in London, Toronto have been keen to establish links in London, they’ve played “home” games in London since they come into the game, at London Skolars, so I don’t see why they’d want to lose that and go to Newcastle instead.
    I was in FB conversation with a guy from London Skolars who said that it was Saracens who have moved the goalposts and asking for the WP to guarantee 5000 attendees. It seems the WP where not prepared to do that. Even with a draw of saints and SBW 5000 may be a stretch. I am flying in from Toronto for the game so any move out of the big smoke or change of day could royally screw me!

Saracens don't own the ground as far as I know. Think it's aBarnet council facility.

What a joke. Glad I'm swerving that one

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Saracens don't own the ground as far as I know. Think it's aBarnet council facility.
    I'm not so sure. They received a 20 million pound loan to build a stand there recently. Maybe it's leased?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    What a joke. Glad I'm swerving that one
    This. Yet another RL shambles. We shouldn't be taking games to Union clubs in any case.

Banned

Just to latch onto the point made by Dave. What has Union ever done for Us? Just one thing. Ever since Lewis and Wood we faunicated and grovelled to them. France and the slashing and asset stripping of RL by Nazi RU sympathisers and no recompense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Just to latch onto the point made by Dave. What has Union ever done for Us? Just one thing. Ever since Lewis and Wood we faunicated and grovelled to them. France and the slashing and asset stripping of RL by Nazi RU sympathisers and no recompense.
    Exactly. We seem to have this victim mentality and a stupidity to go with it. For a start they should be playing in Toronto and deal with the conditions and if not why should we have to travel to bloody London to play in a poxy Union ground? I'd rather us cram into London Scholars ground, or even better, Widnes or Leigh. At least they'd get a half decent crowd that way.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Exactly. We seem to have this victim mentality and a stupidity to go with it. For a start they should be playing in Toronto and deal with the conditions and if not why should we have to travel to bloody London to play in a poxy Union ground? I'd rather us cram into London Scholars ground, or even better, Widnes or Leigh. At least they'd get a half decent crowd that way.
    I agree, if it cant be played in Toronto why not do the simplest thing, play it at another Super League ground close to the opposition they are due to play that isnt in use that weekend. It would get enough ‘away’ fans going to make it worthwhile.

If they were not 100% certain that we would be able to play at Saracens they should have not got it and gone somewhere easier to ensure it would go ahead uninhibited, its not a great look that weeks before we are due to play them the ground is not 100% set, how can you market it to the local community to generate interest effectively?

Got A Season Ticket

Total agree with the poster. Toronto have had all winter to sort this and now they move it 5 weeks before. I have booked a prepaid hotel to cater for the evening kick off on the Saturday so will lose the money if it goes to Newcastle. Ealing would be OK for me but can in accommodate the numbers that may want to see this one?
    Also I am aware some WP fans are flying over to watch this game so a move out of the capital would certainly damage the WP reputation not only here but with some of their Canadian supporters.

McDermott talking here about asking for salary cap dispensation, as they only have a squad of 23 but have spent up.

I'm quite open to the Toronto project and am interested to see how it goes, but things like this at the start of their first season in the top flight aren't doing them any favours.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

If it's not staged at Saracens as planned it'll be at Widnes I reckon, possibly Leigh.

In The South Stand

I thought that the framing the future at the start of and reasons for changing to Super League and Summer Rugby League.

In The South Stand

I am sorry I have done it again I intended to say every Club having own ground and certain proper facilities.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Can we just remember that there's still no official news about any changes, and the various club websites (Saints, WP and Skolars) still have the game down as Allianz Park?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Can we just remember that there's still no official news about any changes, and the various club websites (Saints, WP and Skolars) still have the game down as Allianz Park?

Toronto are being asked to guarantee a gate of 5K. Toronto reluctant hence the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Toronto are being asked to guarantee a gate of 5K. Toronto reluctant hence the issue.
    When this Toronto nonsense falls on its backside, I won't be in the least bit surprised.

You cannot just plonk a team from across the Canada in a 'European' league.

The game needs to have a significant presence in Canada/North America first & a player development programme. There are no foundations to this. Built on sand.

We've signed Sonny Bill? So what? I really do not get it. It's a Canadian team in name only. Nothing remotely Canadian about it bar that and where they (sometimes) play their home games.

Beyond farcical. Another gimmick in the sport that is all about gimmicks

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Have you got a link for this? Not doubting you, but the only thing I've seen so far is the link in your OP. I've not found anything on Google.

In The South Stand

Toronto have held this grand press conference claiming that they’ll change the face of Rugby League and in the same announcement, they’ve confirmed the double header at Saracens won’t happen and will be played elsewhere in London, most likely Ealing (Broncos’ home).

Laughable. They’ll be in Room 101 with Club Call and PSG in five years.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Toronto have held this grand press conference claiming that they’ll change the face of Rugby League and in the same announcement, they’ve confirmed the double header at Saracens won’t happen and will be played elsewhere in London, most likely Ealing (Broncos’ home).

Laughable. They’ll be in Room 101 with Club Call and PSG in five years.
    PSG, Gateshead, Celtic Crusaders, Celtic Crusaders V2.0, London V1 - whatever new home/name comination we are up to...Have we as a sport not spent enough time, money and resource to know how to launch a club? Or as it's failed everytime apart from Catalan (were RL was at least played at a lower level) are we hoping to drop lucky this time?

We might as well look at BeNeLux & Nordic regions or Germany for the next expansion plan, at least it's closer with more regular flights.