Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why aren’t people watching rugby league?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Who are Nomad?
    I assume it''s this company. Some real Blue Chip companies among their clients.

https://www.wearenomads.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I assume it''s this company. Some real Blue Chip companies among their clients.

https://www.wearenomads.com/
    Very impressive client list. I can just see Ralph Rimmer meeting with them.

Banned

Its highly likely this has been one of the problems of the past where repositioning the image of the sport is concerned - the governing body failed to set out clear expectations/needs and come up with its own plan to integrate the ideas/proposals from external agencies into a clear strategy for growth.

I should imagine the start of the end for the RFL was when Wood presented the piece d' resistance that was the Stobart deal (thereafter accompanied by a list of 'massif' partners such as BetFred, Big Soup, Mushy Peas, Dacia etc). For SL clubs these were a disaster and undermined the commercial profile of the clubs and their ability to generate revenues through strong, fashionable partnerships. Not only did they reinforce stereotypes but just highlighted that the sport was the high street equivalent of Poundland.

The sport proved that it was totally incapable of that and that's why we now have a separate SL organisation to better advance the needs of the SL clubs. Put simply the clubs lost confidence in a self serving, inept leadership and took measures to better represent their interests in almost every facet.

The repositioning of RL in the sports market is crucial to the game because the commercial and media profile of RL needs to be improved to both grow the game and ensure member clubs are healthy. This won't be achieved by RFL shortcuts of the past (mollycoddling SKY, bargain ticket prices, SL gimmicks etc). The game needs proper thinking and that's why the rebranding needs to transcend old fashioned 'marketing' that the likes of Martyn Sadler advocate: Visibility through posters and adverts is fine Martyn, but consumers are pickier than ever and awareness is nothing without credibility.

I think Nomad have already delivered the redesign of the Super League logo but that's a very small step in the whole repositioning work. The sport needs to connect and align all its ideas to project its goals and values to the partners who will inject money and to the wider public to generate more following.

This was never done in the past - the RFL just came up with a hotch-potch of different ideas and hoped something would stick. My favourite was the justification of the Stobart deal that it would raise visibility of the sport in non-traditional areas whilst the trucks themselves carried the message 'sport is about following your local team.' Talk about a mixed message! Cluelessness at its best.

There's also a need to understand modern trends. As DarkSideoftheMoon said the social media age and tapping into the 'celbridee' culture (as much as a dislike it) is important. There's obviously the TV deal on the horizon and as I understand, Elstone is looking at using a private equity firm to negotiate a new television rights deal for Super League. Its also important because the SKY presentation is horrendously dated and out of touch: the silly try music using a tune that belongs in 1991, the OTT hyperbole, the lack of push/enthusiasm for the sport etc. The next deal needs to negotiated a way which ensures the sport is properly presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    His silence is part of the reason I wasn't sure if he was responsible. I just hope it was because of the off season or that he is busy working on something.
    A number of things announced on social media, including a documentary on Amazon and a new Weekley magazine show. Appear to be getting some movement!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    A number of things announced on social media, including a documentary on Amazon and a new Weekley magazine show. Appear to be getting some movement!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate any idea of the names of the two shows?

I'd like to hear what Nomad say once he's left the room.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    ...zip...

Great post

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

At the risk of causing palpitations amongst my Redvee wearing friends, Wire are certainly doing their bit
    https://twitter.com/warringtonrlfc/s...239990788?s=21

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    At the risk of causing palpitations amongst my Redvee wearing friends, Wire are certainly doing their bit
    You do the social media and marketing stuff very well to be fair.

Just the actual rugby lets you down most of the time.

Banned

Anyway, I was thinking about this today. And I remembered someone mentioning that the game isn't trendy. I thought about it a little more and I think it's certainly part of the problem, you only need to look at the amount of absolute shite that's popular at the moment because it's considered trendy.

In The South Stand

You do the social media and marketing stuff very well to be fair.

Just the actual rugby lets you down most of the time.
    It also doesn't hurt that Adam Hills mentions them almost every week on TV

Learning All The Songs

What was it, 5000, at your play off game last season? You can have a great marketing campaign but when your products shit people wont buy it, and lets face it the product you put on last season was of a shit standard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    What was it, 5000, at your play off game last season? You can have a great marketing campaign but when your products shit people wont buy it, and lets face it the product you put on last season was of a shit standard.
    Apart from one crucial game

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Not sure if I’m being simplistic but it must be hard to attract new fans to the sport from outside Northern England when we only have three or so professional/semi professional teams in the country that are outside the area.

But I think we’ve missed the jump on that now, with football and RU so established, I think we’re too far behind. Think our main focus needs to be on making the game as strong as possible across the north.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Otherwise known as polishing a t**d

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Otherwise known as polishing a t**d
    Or selling a lemon.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Also known as “making an effort”. Building a brand for the most successful team last season should be easy, but you still have to make an effort, not sure your club is.

Also known as “making an effort”. Building a brand for the most successful team last season should be easy, but you still have to make an effort, not sure your club is.
    “Building a brand”?? We’ve been Saints for decades (unlike the “Wolves”) and without wanting to sound pompous or arrogant, being “the most successful team” has a momentum all of itself. We do promote ourselves - but in a classy way - not by flying an aeroplane over the opposition’s ground and then getting tonked by that team the week after or by calling ourselves “champions” when we clearly are not. Good effort though. I do like the clip.

Banned

Anyway, I was thinking about this today. And I remembered someone mentioning that the game isn't trendy. I thought about it a little more and I think it's certainly part of the problem, you only need to look at the amount of absolute shite that's popular at the moment because it's considered trendy.
    How can the sport be viewed as trendy with Bill anchoring, Baz and Tez, the silly titles and that clueless try music - ••••ing barmy. The sport presents itself like its 1991. SKY need ditching yesterday. Self congratulating bunch of wankers

You got 5000 for a play off game.

Just what brand are you building?

Fluked a cup win & bricked a coach. Massive club

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    How can the sport be viewed as trendy with Bill anchoring, Baz and Tez, the silly titles and that clueless try music - ••••ing barmy. The sport presents itself like its 1991. SKY need ditching yesterday. Self congratulating bunch of wankers
    Spot on this

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You got 5000 for a play off game.

Just what brand are you building?

Fluked a cup win & bricked a coach. Massive club
    This sums up the problem the sport has. The topic is about Rugby League, not a specific team. Of course Warrington are not perfect. We could have a contest about whose fans are worse, but that isn't the point.
    Wire strive to be better both on the pitch and off it. Not always successfully as the lack of a GF win shows. However by building awareness of the club they are doing the same for the sport, something that is crucial with a new TV deal to negotiate. The "Little Englander" approach, which has plagued our sport, does the sport no favours

This sums up the problem the sport has. The topic is about Rugby League, not a specific team. Of course Warrington are not perfect. We could have a contest about whose fans are worse, but that isn't the point.
    Wire strive to be better both on the pitch and off it. Not always successfully as the lack of a GF win shows. However by building awareness of the club they are doing the same for the sport, something that is crucial with a new TV deal to negotiate. The "Little Englander" approach, which has plagued our sport, does the sport no favours
    Ha ha ha 'little Englander.'

Get lost pal

Starting A Programme Collection

I dont think calling off the joint press conference ahead of the Wigan game on the grounds of "too much bad blood" shows the sport in good light and isn't a particularly good image, more like American Wrestling or Heavyweight Boxing. Quite rightly it would appear that most Warrington fans agree that it's just a silly embarrassing publicity stunt and are criticising the club. I'm all for a bit of humour like Wolfie buying Uncle Joe's mintballs or Pooles Pies, even flying over our ground, everything should be good natured banter not vilifying the enemy by cat calling There are always so called fans in All clubs who will use it as an excuse to wind themselves up and cause trouble, and then both clubs will start handwringing .
    Last edited by Woolyback; 29th January 2020 at 10:04.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Ha ha ha 'little Englander.'

Get lost pal
    Just read your posts on the Toronto game thread, just confirms it.