Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best prop in the world headed to Belmore

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Thompson, Taia (Who is incredibly important to us, not that many people notice), Roby, LMS, Paulo and Amor all looking likely to leave at the same time? Is that right?
    Paolo and Roby have got another season after this one, the other four are out of contract along with Peyroux, so some decisions to make there.

My guess will be LMS and Peyroux will sign new short term contracts to stay another season. Taia will retire, leaving question marks over Amor and Thompson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

No chance for me. He'd command a big contract, possibly the biggest at the club. He'd have other suitors within Super League for the big name element of it alone. But if you watch his performances in the NRL recently, he is done. Bent over wheezing after five minutes, not having anywhere near the impact in attack or defense that he used to have and seems to be picking up knocks all the time.

Thompson, Taia (Who is incredibly important to us, not that many people notice), Roby, LMS, Paulo and Amor all looking likely to leave at the same time? Is that right? I know Roby's contract goes beyond that, but unless his post-season operations fix something that was broken last season, he's another one held together by masking tape and vaseline and will surely be done after another season. Does replacing six forwards in one year seem possible? Are there any in our academy that are likely to push for any of those positions?
    Id glad pay Paulo’s flight back. Total waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Id glad pay Paulo’s flight back. Total waste of money.
    Can't see Woolf putting up with Paulo for too long to be honest.

Learning All The Songs

I am sure Wolfe will have a few big Tongan props in mind to bolster our pack next year if need be.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

No chance for me. He'd command a big contract, possibly the biggest at the club. He'd have other suitors within Super League for the big name element of it alone. But if you watch his performances in the NRL recently, he is done. Bent over wheezing after five minutes, not having anywhere near the impact in attack or defense that he used to have and seems to be picking up knocks all the time.

Thompson, Taia (Who is incredibly important to us, not that many people notice), Roby, LMS, Paulo and Amor all looking likely to leave at the same time? Is that right? I know Roby's contract goes beyond that, but unless his post-season operations fix something that was broken last season, he's another one held together by masking tape and vaseline and will surely be done after another season. Does replacing six forwards in one year seem possible? Are there any in our academy that are likely to push for any of those positions?
    I don't watch the juniors and don't know about the contract situation of many of those players.

I do think you make a good point about Taia who's been a brilliant signing and wonder if Batchelor will get a chance this year to show if he can fill that position? I haven't seen anything of him.

Paulo was a strange signing for me given the club already had Knowles and Bentley who had both shown promise. He again doesn't get into the first choice 17 for this year, if I was picking it and neither does Amor, whom I also think is dispensable.

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Knowles
    Welsby
    Lees
    Ashworth
    LMS

For 2021, IF Thompson does go, I do think in Walmsley, Lees and Ashworth, Saints will still have plenty of punch in the forwards. So that leaves one spot available.

I Just think on Graham, with his contract finishing, there's a chance this could be his last year in the NRL and if he does want to continue playing and so come over here, I think he will know he can't command the same salary that he has done in the past. He's still been performing well for mine- the NRL is a step above SL and he's been playing for a struggling side let's remember (I think St George finished second bottom last year). He even played in the '9's' tournament for us didn't he? He offers more than Amor or Paulo I think and with his experience at the top level, he can help in the development of Lees and Ashworth.

Saints could look to do what Leeds have been doing and splash the cash and pay transfer fees? David Fifita (or perhaps see if they can convince his brother Andrew to come over here and join him) or Liam Watts would be strong candidates.

The hooking position is a very interesting one as whilst I've said before that Cameron Smith is still doing it in the NRL, his game is different to Roby. You can see in my team that I've not put Smith or Bentley on the interchange as I think the utility value of Welsby is more valuable in the modern game and I would use Fages to give Roby a break out of dummy half and put Roby to 13 to spell Knowles. I'm not sure if either can replace Roby long term and with that position being so important, I think Danny Levi is a hooker who is off contract at the end of this season who could be worth monitoring. Leeds snapped up the promising one from Huddersfield over the last couple of months (Kruise Leeming) didn't they?

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    Aussie Lifestyle? Nobody has mentioned the flies, redback spiders, sharks, lousy beer at 6 or 7 quid a pint which is really not a pint, and fish and chips at about 15 quid without mushy peas! Oh, make sure you never talk sport with the locals because they are the best at every sport ever invented. Give me Blighty any day of the week!
    TBH never seen a fly in Sydney (well hardly). Looking for years for a shark never seen one. The beer is excellent and a lot less than that and eating out is quality. Mushy peas I grant you are scarce as are splits but they love their pies (meat & potato not cherry and white).The weather is outstanding and the atmosphere totally relaxed and unthreatening. There is the odd fire but nearest about 70 miles away. Traffic is horrendous though.

All in all the lifestyle is outstanding ImO. As to the Aussies, they love the brits unless sport is involved but when you make “mates” with them they are genuinely great people. I’m from Marshall’s Cross BTW so I know all all about mushy peas, splits and curry sauce and beaches!!

Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    TBH never seen a fly in Sydney (well hardly). Looking for years for a shark never seen one. The beer is excellent and a lot less than that and eating out is quality. Mushy peas I grant you are scarce as are splits but they love their pies (meat & potato not cherry and white).The weather is outstanding and the atmosphere totally relaxed and unthreatening. There is the odd fire but nearest about 70 miles away. Traffic is horrendous though.

All in all the lifestyle is outstanding ImO. As to the Aussies, they love the brits unless sport is involved but when you make “mates” with them they are genuinely great people. I’m from Marshall’s Cross BTW so I know all all about mushy peas, splits and curry sauce and beaches!!
    Takes courage to move to the other side of the world so fair play to you.

If I could ever afford it, I'd live in Munich. Great place

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I lived in Aus for 8 years and loved every minute of it. When you say they love the Brits except in Sport, I always found that if you didn't lie down to them and gave it back, they enjoyed the banter over sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Takes courage to move to the other side of the world so fair play to you.

If I could ever afford it, I'd live in Munich. Great place
    Great place in summer, pretty harsh in winter.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I am sure Wolfe will have a few big Tongan props in mind to bolster our pack next year if need be.
    Taumalolo would be nice.

(I can dream!)

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Great place in summer, pretty harsh in winter.
    Aye. Can be bitterly cold in mid winter. Didnt beat Prague though. Went there early Feb a few years back & it was Baltic
    Last edited by Ralph Fridge; 21st January 2020 at 14:38. Reason: SPG

Got A Season Ticket

Aye. Can be bitterly cold in mid winter. Didnt beat Prague though. Went there early Feb a few years back & it was Baltic
    Thought you were talking about Marshall’s X in summer there for a minute. I remember those winter days when the street lights never went off and the bus from outside the Coop (number 6 or 5b?) used to be fully steamed up inside because of the cold and damp passengers. Is Charlie Chows still going on North Road? Awesome chips and gravy In the 80’s

Banned

Done a job near Munich to fit a jacket and heat tracing on a diesel pumping system to stop it thickening in the cold. It still doesn't beat Oslo airport in 2015, I was stood outside looking a a giant clock/thermometer thing and it was -26, I actually felt sick standing there.

Banned

Bunch of wusses

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson1994 View Post
    Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    Canterbury have emerged as outright favourites to land the prized signature of the Englishman rated the “best prop in the world”.
    In what would be a massive boost for the rebuilding Bulldogs, St Helens hard man Luke Thompson is expected to make an announcement on his future in the coming days.
    Gold Coast is the other club in the chase while the New Zealand Warriors have come in late and hard with a big offer.
    Initially 11 NRL clubs expressed some interest in signing Thompson for the 2021 season but it is now down to three with the Bulldogs said to be leading the charge
    In the Titans’ favour is that Thompson also has a connection with new coach Justin Holbrook from their time together at St Helens.
    The talk is Thompson is set to earn in the vicinity of $700,000 a season which is massive money but understandable given teammate Alex Walmsley’s huge rap last year.
    Walmsley declared that Thompson was the world’s best prop following a man of the match performance in the Super League grand final.
    Thompson is only 24 but has already made more than 150 Super League appearances for St Helens.
    He has also earned tremendous respect among his English Test teammates, with the Canberra Raiders’ Pommy connection in particular trying their hardest to get him to the Raiders.
    In the end Canberra simply didn’t have the salary cap space to match the offers elsewhere.
    Thompson would be a huge acquisition for the Bulldogs who are trying to fight their way back into finals contention.
    Although Thompson is contracted to St Helens for the 2020 Super League season, there has been some talk that he may come to Australia early.
    St Helens have stated categorically that they won’t let that happen but it could possibly change if an NRL club was willing to cough up a significant transfer fee.
    Although it is unlikely to eventuate regardless, it is worth noting that any money paid for a transfer fee is not included in the NRL salary cap

Posted over here in aus today
    Late afternoon of Jan 22nd and still nothing. Maybe they meant weeks; likely the whole article was idle speculation?

Thought you were talking about Marshall’s X in summer there for a minute. I remember those winter days when the street lights never went off and the bus from outside the Coop (number 6 or 5b?) used to be fully steamed up inside because of the cold and damp passengers. Is Charlie Chows still going on North Road? Awesome chips and gravy In the 80’s
    Charlie Chans you mean? Think so

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Done a job near Munich to fit a jacket and heat tracing on a diesel pumping system to stop it thickening in the cold. It still doesn't beat Oslo airport in 2015, I was stood outside looking a a giant clock/thermometer thing and it was -26, I actually felt sick standing there.
    That is cold

Late afternoon of Jan 22nd and still nothing. Maybe they meant weeks; likely the whole article was idle speculation?
    Well I never. Can't even be bothered with NRL journalists me. They know nothing about the sport over here & just presume the best players over here will go there. Why would you want to go to Canterbury? They are a mess

Banned

Well I never. Can't even be bothered with NRL journalists me. They know nothing about the sport over here & just presume the best players over here will go there. Why would you want to go to Canterbury? They are a mess
    The area itself isn't exactly a tourist sport. Barely one step up from Mount Druitt...

The OP had been on sharing lots of other views and comments all round.......

No, wait........
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.totalrl.com/woolf-confid...over-nrl-move/

This sounds quite positive. Fingers crossed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.totalrl.com/woolf-confid...over-nrl-move/

This sounds quite positive. Fingers crossed!
    Reports here that Saints are fighting back with a big contract offer, so there is still some hope for Saints keeping him, unless he wants to come and play with our snakes, spiders, fly's and sharks. (make a good song that), when you play the Sydney Roosters.

Learning All The Songs

Me and a mate went to visit another friend in NYC about 14 years ago - we went in late January, and we knew it would be cold, but it was around -20 most days and then when you factored in the windchill, it took it to around -25. Was horrendous out on the streets. Literally had to duck into bars etc every 30 minutes or so, or you would feel your body starting to get lethargic and shutting down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Me and a mate went to visit another friend in NYC about 14 years ago - we went in late January, and we knew it would be cold, but it was around -20 most days and then when you factored in the windchill, it took it to around -25. Was horrendous out on the streets. Literally had to duck into bars etc every 30 minutes or so, or you would feel your body starting to get lethargic and shutting down.
    I can imagine. That winter I had in Norway was bad even by their standards but none of it like being stood in -25, that wasn't funny and you realise how quickly people can get into trouble.

I can imagine. That winter I had in Norway was bad even by their standards but none of it like being stood in -25, that wasn't funny and you realise how quickly people can get into trouble.
    The worse I had was in the cargo area at the back of Helsinki airport - 34.