Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best prop in the world headed to Belmore

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I know a lot of what you say is tongue in cheek mate, but seeing as we’ve just won a Grand Final with Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Thompson, Roby, Knowles, Smith and Ashworth in the 17, questioning the benefits of an Academy system seems odd to say the least.
    Probably overplaying it, but it must be disheartening to bring a player through from being 14/15 and see him leave before he's even in his prime. I suspect the likes of Knowles, Lees and Ashworth will all get offers as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

If he does go I'm sure he'll go with the best wishes of all Saints fans. I only hope it's sorted ASAP to give us a chance to try and replace the irreplaceable. Looking at the list of off contract props in the NRL and Super League it's slim pickings. Jesse Bromwich, Kane Evans and James Tamou seem to be the stand outs unless we can buy someone out of their contract early.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I’ll be surprised if he stays.
    Nooo don't be like that. I like you

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If he does go I'm sure he'll go with the best wishes of all Saints fans. I only hope it's sorted ASAP to give us a chance to try and replace the irreplaceable. Looking at the list of off contract props in the NRL and Super League it's slim pickings. Jesse Bromwich, Kane Evans and James Tamou seem to be the stand outs unless we can buy someone out of their contract early.
    Bromwich is a top prop

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

I’ll be surprised if he stays.
    I agree.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Canterbury, Gold Coast, NZ, probably the 3 clubs you’d least want to go.

Can’t see him going before the start of the year unless something drastic happens Greenwood/Taia esc. Can’t think of a prop from either of those 3 teams that I’d be happy with in his place.
    Would be good to see the Raiders get some salary cap room for him, (watch this space). They are getting close to a super league team in the NRL, then one in New York along with the one in Canada and one (maybe) 2 in France. is it a conspiracy !!!!.

Got A Season Ticket

Aussie Lifestyle? Nobody has mentioned the flies, redback spiders, sharks, lousy beer at 6 or 7 quid a pint which is really not a pint, and fish and chips at about 15 quid without mushy peas! Oh, make sure you never talk sport with the locals because they are the best at every sport ever invented. Give me Blighty any day of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson1994 View Post
    Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    Canterbury have emerged as outright favourites to land the prized signature of the Englishman rated the “best prop in the world”.
    In what would be a massive boost for the rebuilding Bulldogs, St Helens hard man Luke Thompson is expected to make an announcement on his future in the coming days.
    Gold Coast is the other club in the chase while the New Zealand Warriors have come in late and hard with a big offer.
    Initially 11 NRL clubs expressed some interest in signing Thompson for the 2021 season but it is now down to three with the Bulldogs said to be leading the charge
    In the Titans’ favour is that Thompson also has a connection with new coach Justin Holbrook from their time together at St Helens.
    The talk is Thompson is set to earn in the vicinity of $700,000 a season which is massive money but understandable given teammate Alex Walmsley’s huge rap last year.
    Walmsley declared that Thompson was the world’s best prop following a man of the match performance in the Super League grand final.
    Thompson is only 24 but has already made more than 150 Super League appearances for St Helens.
    He has also earned tremendous respect among his English Test teammates, with the Canberra Raiders’ Pommy connection in particular trying their hardest to get him to the Raiders.
    In the end Canberra simply didn’t have the salary cap space to match the offers elsewhere.
    Thompson would be a huge acquisition for the Bulldogs who are trying to fight their way back into finals contention.
    Although Thompson is contracted to St Helens for the 2020 Super League season, there has been some talk that he may come to Australia early.
    St Helens have stated categorically that they won’t let that happen but it could possibly change if an NRL club was willing to cough up a significant transfer fee.
    Although it is unlikely to eventuate regardless, it is worth noting that any money paid for a transfer fee is not included in the NRL salary cap

Posted over here in aus today
    Thanks for joining the St Helens forum just to post this non-story.

Trolling of the first degree.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post

Let me say that Thommo is one of my favourite players to put on the V, he’s uncompromising in his attitude and attritional in his play without being a “nasty” player. He’s not a huge prop, but he hits bigger and harder than his size and moves and steps in a way that belies his size.

It would be ridiculous to not expect the NRL to come calling, and I feel that if we win the Challenge Cup this season he will probably want to take up that challenge in the NRL, however I can’t omagine a 2 time GF winner, 3 time LLS winner and Harry Sunderland trophy winner going to join any team in the NRL who isn’t going to challenge for honors.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Noooobie

Last edited by Jackson1994; 19th January 2020 at 12:00.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Thanks for joining the St Helens forum just to post this non-story.

Trolling of the first degree.
    How is it trolling you halfwit I'm just posting the story that was in the paper over here in Oz it a forum I'm sorry I need your permission to post in here I'm a bulldogs support but I also keep a close eye on St Helens for a number of years there always one person on every forum who thinks they run the place

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

How is it trolling you halfwit I'm just posting the story that was in the paper over here in Oz it a forum I'm sorry I need your permission to post in here I'm a bulldogs support but I also keep a close eye on St Helens for a number of years there always one person on every forum who thinks they run the place
    Don't worry he's not on his own.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Get him told.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    Aussie Lifestyle? Nobody has mentioned the flies, redback spiders, sharks, lousy beer at 6 or 7 quid a pint which is really not a pint, and fish and chips at about 15 quid without mushy peas! Oh, make sure you never talk sport with the locals because they are the best at every sport ever invented. Give me Blighty any day of the week!
    Don't forget the extreme heat. Some might like it hot but 40+ degree's is just too much.

Learning All The Songs

I think deep down we all knew at some point he was going.
    He would be crazy not to.
    I fear Knowles could be next ��

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Don't forget the extreme heat. Some might like it hot but 40+ degree's is just too much.
    If you don't get heatstroke there is a good chance of concussion from golf ball sized hailstones.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    Load of exaggerated crap that, and you forgot the Snakes, bumped into a few of them over the years, but they take one look at me and say he's from Parr and run (slither off)..
    get mushy peas in a tin from supermarkets but not as good as chipmonk,
    Last edited by Ex Parrer; 20th January 2020 at 07:28.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    4/5 days a year even in Perth, now humidity is another issue i would agree on

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    If you don't get heatstroke there is a good chance of concussion from golf ball sized hailstones.
    when they are that big you take cover they hurt, duration usually in the seconds, but Two tourists have been struck by lightning.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

If Luke sees out his contract and wants to try his luck in Oz he should go with our blessing.
    Learned comment from The Don

I notice that Luke Thompson’s contract ends at the same time as James Graham’s.

Jammer will be 35 by then, but I’ve always had him down as one of those who could play on into his late 30s, as his game has never relied on pace or explosiveness. I’d rather keep Thommo, but a 1-2 year swan song from Jammer would be nice, I reckon. I know some will say he’s finished but I reckon he’s still got it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

Jammer will be 35 by then, but I’ve always had him down as one of those who could play on into his late 30s, as his game has never relied on pace or explosiveness. I’d rather keep Thommo, but a 1-2 year swan song from Jammer would be nice, I reckon. I know some will say he’s finished but I reckon he’s still got it.
    Sorry but no..... been battered for too long in the NRL now for me.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

I'm with you Dux. Saints would still have Walmsley, Lees & Ashworth to bend the line back. I think Graham's ball playing ability and leadership skills would still be valuable. I think it's an option.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I'm with you Dux. Saints would still have Walmsley, Lees & Ashworth to bend the line back. I think Graham's ball playing ability and leadership skills would still be valuable. I think it's an option.

Regards,

STEVO
    No chance for me. He'd command a big contract, possibly the biggest at the club. He'd have other suitors within Super League for the big name element of it alone. But if you watch his performances in the NRL recently, he is done. Bent over wheezing after five minutes, not having anywhere near the impact in attack or defense that he used to have and seems to be picking up knocks all the time.

Thompson, Taia (Who is incredibly important to us, not that many people notice), Roby, LMS, Paulo and Amor all looking likely to leave at the same time? Is that right? I know Roby's contract goes beyond that, but unless his post-season operations fix something that was broken last season, he's another one held together by masking tape and vaseline and will surely be done after another season. Does replacing six forwards in one year seem possible? Are there any in our academy that are likely to push for any of those positions?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Sorry but no..... been battered for too long in the NRL now for me.
    Agreed