Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best prop in the world headed to Belmore

Noooobie

Default Best prop in the world headed to Belmore

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    Canterbury have emerged as outright favourites to land the prized signature of the Englishman rated the “best prop in the world”.
    In what would be a massive boost for the rebuilding Bulldogs, St Helens hard man Luke Thompson is expected to make an announcement on his future in the coming days.
    Gold Coast is the other club in the chase while the New Zealand Warriors have come in late and hard with a big offer.
    Initially 11 NRL clubs expressed some interest in signing Thompson for the 2021 season but it is now down to three with the Bulldogs said to be leading the charge
    In the Titans’ favour is that Thompson also has a connection with new coach Justin Holbrook from their time together at St Helens.
    The talk is Thompson is set to earn in the vicinity of $700,000 a season which is massive money but understandable given teammate Alex Walmsley’s huge rap last year.
    Walmsley declared that Thompson was the world’s best prop following a man of the match performance in the Super League grand final.
    Thompson is only 24 but has already made more than 150 Super League appearances for St Helens.
    He has also earned tremendous respect among his English Test teammates, with the Canberra Raiders’ Pommy connection in particular trying their hardest to get him to the Raiders.
    In the end Canberra simply didn’t have the salary cap space to match the offers elsewhere.
    Thompson would be a huge acquisition for the Bulldogs who are trying to fight their way back into finals contention.
    Although Thompson is contracted to St Helens for the 2020 Super League season, there has been some talk that he may come to Australia early.
    St Helens have stated categorically that they won’t let that happen but it could possibly change if an NRL club was willing to cough up a significant transfer fee.
    Although it is unlikely to eventuate regardless, it is worth noting that any money paid for a transfer fee is not included in the NRL salary cap

Posted over here in aus today

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson1994 View Post
    Canterbury have emerged as outright favourites to land the prized signature of the Englishman rated the “best prop in the world”.
    In what would be a massive boost for the rebuilding Bulldogs, St Helens hard man Luke Thompson is expected to make an announcement on his future in the coming days.
    Gold Coast is the other club in the chase while the New Zealand Warriors have come in late and hard with a big offer.
    Initially 11 NRL clubs expressed some interest in signing Thompson for the 2021 season but it is now down to three with the Bulldogs said to be leading the charge
    In the Titans’ favour is that Thompson also has a connection with new coach Justin Holbrook from their time together at St Helens.
    The talk is Thompson is set to earn in the vicinity of $700,000 a season which is massive money but understandable given teammate Alex Walmsley’s huge rap last year.
    Walmsley declared that Thompson was the world’s best prop following a man of the match performance in the Super League grand final.
    Thompson is only 24 but has already made more than 150 Super League appearances for St Helens.
    He has also earned tremendous respect among his English Test teammates, with the Canberra Raiders’ Pommy connection in particular trying their hardest to get him to the Raiders.
    In the end Canberra simply didn’t have the salary cap space to match the offers elsewhere.
    Thompson would be a huge acquisition for the Bulldogs who are trying to fight their way back into finals contention.
    Although Thompson is contracted to St Helens for the 2020 Super League season, there has been some talk that he may come to Australia early.
    St Helens have stated categorically that they won’t let that happen but it could possibly change if an NRL club was willing to cough up a significant transfer fee.
    Although it is unlikely to eventuate regardless, it is worth noting that any money paid for a transfer fee is not included in the NRL salary cap

Noooooooooooo! If true?

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Canterbury, Gold Coast, NZ, probably the 3 clubs you’d least want to go.

Can’t see him going before the start of the year unless something drastic happens Greenwood/Taia esc. Can’t think of a prop from either of those 3 teams that I’d be happy with in his place.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

McManus is a businessman as well as a fan, I'll be honest I've said it halfway through last season I'm expecting us to sell him early or do a swap ala Greenwood and Taia as mentioned.. Could be wrong though?

In The South Stand

Expecting him to go at the end of the year, I’d be gutted if it’s earlier.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson1994 View Post

I'd take anything the Telegraph reports with a truck full of salt. The Australian equivalent of a hybrid Sun-Daily Mail and known to be as accurate as Dave Nosey Parker...

In The South Stand

What are we Wigan now? Can't we just make him a marquee player and pay him £7m to counter their £700k?

Who are our marquee players now? It used to be Robes, but he's getting to the glue factory stage of his career so it can't still be him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    What are we Wigan now? Can't we just make him a marquee player and pay him £7m to counter their £700k?

Who are our marquee players now? It used to be Robes, but he's getting to the glue factory stage of his career so it can't still be him.
    There’s more to it than money, he may want to test himself in the NRL, he may fancy a change of lifestyle, we dont know. If i were Eamonn i would not let him go before his contract runs out, not even if we are offered a record fee and a player to replace him, with him in our side we are far better than with any replacement we would receive as they would be unlikely to be the same quality as Thommo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Expecting him to go at the end of the year, I’d be gutted if it’s earlier.
    Me too. I think the only way he won't go is if he doesn't fancy the lifestyle or wants to stay close to family. If Hodson is good enough, Thompson will be a sensation.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 17th January 2020 at 13:48.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    There’s more to it than money, he may want to test himself in the NRL, he may fancy a change of lifestyle, we dont know. If i were Eamonn i would not let him go before his contract runs out, not even if we are offered a record fee and a player to replace him, with him in our side we are far better than with any replacement we would receive as they would be unlikely to be the same quality as Thommo
    Absolutely. If he stays this season and performs well he’d go with most peoples blessings. If he does a Barba and acts like a spoilt brat he’ll be remembered for that.

He comes across as a decent bloke so I would expect him to honour his contract.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Absolutely. If he stays this season and performs well he’d go with most peoples blessings. If he does a Barba and acts like a spoilt brat he’ll be remembered for that.

He comes across as a decent bloke so I would expect him to honour his contract.
    A born & bred Saints fan, too.

I hoped he'd stay, but understand him giving the NRL a go. Hopefully he'll give it 2 or 3 years, then head back here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    A born & bred Saints fan, too.

I hoped he'd stay, but understand him giving the NRL a go. Hopefully he'll give it 2 or 3 years, then head back here.
    Exactly, I’m sure he’ll understand what it means if he leaves early. Especially if he leaves us in the shit.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

It's looking pretty ominous that he will be going to the NRL for 2021. The Australian press are all over it and whilst the speculation is annoying, they're not normally a million miles away from the truth. These types of stories were coming out for Barba and Holbrook too months before we had official confirmation.

I can't see Saints selling him before the end of the year and I don't think Thompson is the type to sulk and will simply get on with it.

I just hope whatever the decision we know early enough, so we can find a good replacement if he does decide to go. If he stays, then fantastic but I'll be surprised if he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

We need to get Leon Pryce in as a consultant to tell him what Australia is really like.

Brings into question the point of having an academy system these days. Anyone with any real international level talent is likely to be off before they reach 25. The disparity between the salary caps means Super League can only realistically keep 2 players per team and knowing most clubs 70% of those are likely to be imports from Australia.

I was at a National Cup game in Warrington at Under 14s recently and there were two Australian scouts there. They didn't give much away about who they worked for, but it's clear English players are well known over there way before they are stars in Super League.

Maybe Warrington's policy of signing established players and not bothering to bring academy players through will prove the way to go soon? The benefit of the investment in youth really isn't there anymore if we start losing all the best ones to the NRL, which seems inevitable.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I don't think its necessarily all about the money (in some cases it may be) but the challenge the competition brings in the NRL. Until our competition can compete on a financial and quality level then we will continue to see some of our best talent go to the NRL, sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

We need to get Leon Pryce in as a consultant to tell him what Australia is really like.

Brings into question the point of having an academy system these days. Anyone with any real international level talent is likely to be off before they reach 25. The disparity between the salary caps means Super League can only realistically keep 2 players per team and knowing most clubs 70% of those are likely to be imports from Australia.

I was at a National Cup game in Warrington at Under 14s recently and there were two Australian scouts there. They didn't give much away about who they worked for, but it's clear English players are well known over there way before they are stars in Super League.

Maybe Warrington's policy of signing established players and not bothering to bring academy players through will prove the way to go soon? The benefit of the investment in youth really isn't there anymore if we start losing all the best ones to the NRL, which seems inevitable.
    Though I enjoyed Australia when I was there, culturally its not for everyone. For example music fans should prepare for disappointment; the country has barely got past INXS. Garbage.
    Anyway, some players head over (Hodgson, Graham etc) some don't (Cunningham, Roby). Its a lottery when it comes to whether a talented player will go or not but the big gap between the financial position of the two competition has really not helped SL. It was a big reason the RFL were kicked out of running SL and rightly so. Wood and his yes-man Rimmer ran the sport poorly and failed to grow the sport. Migration of talented English players to Australia a symptom of poor leadership by the governing body.

He hasn't signed for anybody & is still a St Helens player.

I don't think he'll leave

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I know a lot of what you say is tongue in cheek mate, but seeing as we’ve just won a Grand Final with Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Thompson, Roby, Knowles, Smith and Ashworth in the 17, questioning the benefits of an Academy system seems odd to say the least.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Though I enjoyed Australia when I was there, culturally its not for everyone. For example music fans should prepare for disappointment; the country has barely got past INXS. Garbage.
    Anyway, some players head over (Hodgson, Graham etc) some don't (Cunningham, Roby). Its a lottery when it comes to whether a talented player will go or not but the big gap between the financial position of the two competition has really not helped SL. It was a big reason the RFL were kicked out of running SL and rightly so. Wood and his yes-man Rimmer ran the sport poorly and failed to grow the sport. Migration of talented English players to Australia a symptom of poor leadership by the governing body.
    The problem is that we have hardly moved on from Wood by appointing Rimmer. Unless we can keep our better players the sport will not be attractive to Broadcasters. Increasing the SC is probably a requirement that will cause some short to mid term difficulties for some clubs.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

A couple of years ago Alex Walmsley was a 'nailed on ' going to Australia. Until it happens believe nothing.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Exactly, I’m sure he’ll understand what it means if he leaves early. Especially if he leaves us in the shit.
    I just hope its far more open than the Holbrook scenario became, the silence from the club was deafening last season after the early noises about a new contract, if he does go as long as he gives his all this season and doesn’t leave early i can accept it, maybe we try and get a first refusal clause in like the piescum do when their players go to the NRL and want to come back.

In The South Stand

James Graham was/is a Saints fan as much as any of us, he still left. I think it could be similar for Thommo. Graham would have gone down on par, if not better than any of the Super League era players we’ve had and Thommo could easily do the same if he decided to stay.

However, money, lifestyle and challenges talk. In Australia, he’ll get a great life in their summer months and will be paid handsomely. However, the biggest thing for me is the challenge that Thommo will face out there. The competition as a whole in the NRL is far stronger than what we have and they have far more higher intensity games than us and they have a higher standard of player in the league. That’s what would be a key influence for me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

As far as I'm aware no team can talk to him while there is over 6 months on his contract without the club's permission. So either it's a load of speculation or we have been told by him that he isn't staying and we have allowed it ( hopefully that includes first refusal if he ever wants to return)

Canterbury were getting Holbrook as well. Look how that turned out.

I'll be surprised if he leaves

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Canterbury were getting Holbrook as well. Look how that turned out.

I'll be surprised if he leaves
    I’ll be surprised if he stays.