Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Default England

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...-wayne-bennett

Decision 6th of Feb. Only two names mentioned Bennett and Wane. Any other likely contenders or preferences?

I'm not a Wane fan especially his tactics, but I think he would get more out of the team than Bennett. I do hope others have put their hand up.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Perfect job for Wane. He’s a winner and that’s what International rugby is about.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Perfect job for Wane. He’s a winner and that’s what International rugby is about.
    Maybe it's your autocorrect, but you've misspelt 'w a n k e r'

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I agree, the only thing that makes me think that they'll keep Bennett is that all the players in the England and GB set up have only good things to say about him. If the players are on your side and want to play for you then that gives you a better case for keeping your job.

In The South Stand

If you spent the length of the GB tour moaning about how poor the Rugby was under Bennett and you want Shaun Wane to replace him, I despair. The similarities between the two are alarming. You’ll still get the same dull Rugby you got under Bennett, under Wane, though you’ll just get a load more of underhand, niggly aggression in the side, which isn’t necessarily whats missing from the England/GB side.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Give it to Watson and leave him to get on with it.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Maybe it's your autocorrect, but you've misspelt 'w a n k e r'
    I don't particularly like him either. But he's the best man for the job. He's a winner. If it doesnt work, then I'll happily admit I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Too early for him yet imo

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    If you spent the length of the GB tour moaning about how poor the Rugby was under Bennett and you want Shaun Wane to replace him, I despair. The similarities between the two are alarming. You’ll still get the same dull Rugby you got under Bennett, under Wane, though you’ll just get a load more of underhand, niggly aggression in the side, which isn’t necessarily whats missing from the England/GB side.
    I'm not sure you would. I think you would get some smart rugby. And let's face it, you have to upset them anyway to have a chance

Learning All The Songs

Whilst I agree the style of rugby is unlikely to change, and i hate to say it, but i would rather have Wane as England coach over Bennett, Bennett looks and sounds like he couldnt care less about the England team, his last squad selection is evidence of that. At least Wane would care about the job and maybe give the team a bit of the spine thats been lacking under Bennett.

Surely the England head coach should have a watching brief each week during the Super League season, given that the majority of players are over here, so they can actually see who is playing well and who deserves a call up to the squad. International sport isnt so much about coaching players skills, they already have that, its more about having an effective game plan and having the ability to motivate players to unite behind it and implement that, something Bennett either didnt do or did poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    If they go foe Wane I would certainly keep Watson as Assistant. I don't know whether he just had some decent players last year or whether he is developing into a good coach,

Starting A Programme Collection

It’s called arse licking. Talk bennet up and kiss his arse he,ll pick u. Half of them are not good enough to pull an England shirt on......

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...-wayne-bennett

Decision 6th of Feb. Only two names mentioned Bennett and Wane. Any other likely contenders or preferences?

I'm not a Wane fan especially his tactics, but I think he would get more out of the team than Bennett. I do hope others have put their hand up.
    Just read it. Sounds like Ralphie & Kev really have got the finger on the pulse.

'Fill in this question and answer sheet lads.'

Half baked tour, ran by a half baked organisation, resulting in half baked performances, with half of the players involved having a 3 hour flight home. Some tour.

Banned

Why does Rimmer always look like he stinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Why does Rimmer always look like he stinks?
    Have you ever stood close to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Just read it. Sounds like Ralphie & Kev really have got the finger on the pulse.

'Fill in this question and answer sheet lads.'

Half baked tour, ran by a half baked organisation, resulting in half baked performances, with half of the players involved having a 3 hour flight home. Some tour.
    To me it sounded a bit like Rimmer covering his a-se, putting our Kev in the picture to take a fall if it doesn't work out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Have you ever stood close to him?
    Thankfully not.

In The South Stand

England / Britain should have a coach from this side of the world,

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m not sure on the comparison tbh, I’d take his attack over Bennett’s. The attack under him was more one out than anything I’ve seen under Wane. I get where you’re coming from, they were very structured and mechanical under him, lots of pre-planned block plays etc but they still threw a lot at teams and moved the ball a lot. Those shift plays when the ball went through O’Loughlin/Williams/Leuluai/Tomkins were difficult to defend against even though everyone knew they were coming. Williams and Tomkins were good under him, I don’t see why Lomax and whoever else can’t be. They ran good support lines and made good decisions, he had them well drilled. I thought they were much easier to defend against last season. I wouldn’t like to watch it for a full season but it’s three games. I’m not sure I’d put him in the Bennett category of five drives and a kick repeat, I don’t think he was ever that.

I thought the attack in the last series was abysmal to be honest. We didn’t attack we just went through the motions. I thought the whole thing was embarrassing for the sport and it’s important we get the next appointment right IMO.

First thing I’d do is change the hooker. Put Clarke behind that pack and he’d cause carnage. Wane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but IMO we can beat Australia with him as our coach.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 14th January 2020 at 23:38.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

I’m not sure on the comparison tbh, I’d take his attack over Bennett’s. The attack under him was more one out than anything I’ve seen under Wane. I get where you’re coming from, they were very structured and mechanical under him, lots of pre-planned block plays etc but they still threw a lot at teams and moved the ball a lot. Those shift plays when the ball went through O’Loughlin/Williams/Leuluai/Tomkins were difficult to defend against even though everyone knew they were coming. Williams and Tomkins were good under him, I don’t see why Lomax and whoever else can’t be. They ran good support lines and made good decisions, he had them well drilled. I thought they were much easier to defend against last season. I wouldn’t like to watch it for a full season but it’s three games. I’m not sure I’d put him in the Bennett category of five drives and a kick repeat, I don’t think he was ever that.

I thought the attack in the last series was abysmal to be honest. We didn’t attack we just went through the motions. I thought the whole thing was embarrassing for the sport and it’s important we get the next appointment right IMO.

First thing I’d do is change the hooker. Put Clarke behind that pack and he’d cause carnage. Wane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but IMO we can beat Australia with him as our coach.
    There isn't anyone of this I'd disagree with.

I think the key thing we all want is to beat Australia. Put simply over 40 years of losing is a national disgrace and symptomatic of how poorly the game has been run. Bennett was seen as a silver bullet but he just isn't a right fit for the job.

Being coach of England is more than game plans. Its a unique position because our sport struggles for media/commercial attention so its important the coach has at least some sort of personality. Bennett is to borrow from Morrissey, This Charmless Man. His total disregard for what is a generally friendly RL media is a turn off for the press and it alienates the fans.

But much more than that there seems so little identity to British / English RL. Its as if those players have been driven to be a better copy of Australia; imitation is the best form of flattery is but its always a limited tactic to say the least. I don't buy into comparing Wane with Bennett, whilst Wigan were a structured team under his leadership they put much more air on the ball then we see with England. He built a definite identity at Wigan characterised around an aggressive pack amongst other things.

I'm just not sure what Bennett offers. He's almost like a walking, talking parody of himself who wants to win the statistical battle. The international game needs a massive lift and its really important it gets it for the future of the sport - the longer Bennett stays in role, the more opportunities we miss. Anyone remember that dreadfully sterile bore-fest at the Olympic stadium?

Learning All The Songs

For me Bennett has had the team playing the most dire negative rugby league from an England or GB team it has been my misfortune to see. Wait for it. We played far better rugby under McBanana. On top of this our key forwards in the pack are getting passed their sell by date or have retired and Widdop a shadow of the player he was. Please let us not say Wane. He is just a pale imitation of Maguire. I favour an English coach and the only one i feel properly qualified is Powell who has produced good teams on a far smaller budget than most Super League clubs. Lets get a bit of pace at half back and at hooker. If we are going to go down at least lets play attract rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    For me Bennett has had the team playing the most dire negative rugby league from an England or GB team it has been my misfortune to see. Wait for it. We played far better rugby under McBanana. On top of this our key forwards in the pack are getting passed their sell by date or have retired and Widdop a shadow of the player he was. Please let us not say Wane. He is just a pale imitation of Maguire. I favour an English coach and the only one i feel properly qualified is Powell who has produced good teams on a far smaller budget than most Super League clubs. Lets get a bit of pace at half back and at hooker. If we are going to go down at least lets play attract rugby.

If Powell gets the job (which I wouldn't mind) we will probably find out we have just released the next England 7

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    How many trophies has Wane won? Some ‘pale imitation!’

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Wayne Bennett has been a great coach during his career, but he simply doesn't care about British rugby league and our competition. His selections are biased and based on the NRL, and his lack of knowledge on our competition is unacceptable for a coach representing our nation. For that reason alone he isn't equipped to do the best possible job for England / GB in my mind and this is why he should be replaced, especially when you factor in recent results and his handling of the press.

England / GB needs someone who respects and knows the British competition, has the primary focus of England / GB and doesn't see it as a secondary afterthought, is a good role model for the English game and speaks about it in the highest regard and obviously is a good coach.

Whilst Bennett may be a better coach than some of the British candidates, at least they'd care about wanting to do a good job.

Would I give it Wane? I'm not sure if I would, but at least he would care about the players, fans and knows our competition, which immediately makes him a better candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Wayne Bennett has been a great coach during his career, but he simply doesn't care about British rugby league and our competition. His selections are biased and based on the NRL, and his lack of knowledge on our competition is unacceptable for a coach representing our nation. For that reason alone he isn't equipped to do the best possible job for England / GB in my mind and this is why he should be replaced, especially when you factor in recent results and his handling of the press.

England / GB needs someone who respects and knows the British competition, has the primary focus of England / GB and doesn't see it as a secondary afterthought, is a good role model for the English game and speaks about it in the highest regard and obviously is a good coach.

Whilst Bennett may be a better coach than some of the British candidates, at least they'd care about wanting to do a good job.

Would I give it Wane? I'm not sure if I would, but at least he would care about the players, fans and knows our competition, which immediately makes him a better candidate.
    I wouldn't change a word of this.