Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Players you irrationally dislike

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Ian Herron - probably more for the length of time it took him to kick.

Semi Tadulala - not sure why.

Peter Gill - mainly due to sky praising everything he did, to me he just looked like an old bloke plodding around.

Richie Mathers
    Mathers is a great shout.

I'd like to add Lee Smith and Stuart Rearden.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

Surprised Mick Cassidy hasn't had a mention. Definitely deserves one.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mathers is a great shout.

I'd like to add Lee Smith and Stuart Rearden.

Remember when Smith kicked that 40-20 by accident at Old Trafford?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Remember when Smith kicked that 40-20 by accident at Old Trafford?
    No thank god

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    How genuinely pleased was Hunte? He was on the end of some bitter defeats in big games by the scum, so just glad he got a few medals at the end of his time here. A pity (if the rumours/reports were true) that he felt he had to leave due to the actions/comments of a certain halfback.
    Hunte looked like he was having s good time after the Goulding tackle, he wasn't trying to seperate them.

He left Saints over a testimonial. He was the first player due a testimonial in the professional era, Saints told him that as he was now a full time professional he didn't qualify.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He left Saints over a testimonial. He was the first player due a testimonial in the professional era, Saints told him that as he was now a full time professional he didn't qualify.
    Is that right? I heard at the time he was angered about the attitude from the club after he had a spat with Goulding that involved a racist comment. But then, the rumour mill in St Helens has always been legendary!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty Ash Saint View Post
    Surprised Mick Cassidy hasn't had a mention. Definitely deserves one.

Excellent call.

He reminded me of one of the gang of bullies from the Karate Kid. And acted similarly, always strutting round like he was some Billy Big-Bollocks. Him and Neil 'fat as a' Cowie, who was the archetypal 'walk with a roll of carpet under each arm' pillock.

In The South Stand

Richie Myler. I can’t get my head round teams continually signing him when he’d look out of place at Championship level.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Is that right? I heard at the time he was angered about the attitude from the club after he had a spat with Goulding that involved a racist comment. But then, the rumour mill in St Helens has always been legendary!
    Yes that's what happened. After Alan left they started giving testimonials again. He was always pretty sore about it. Whether or not there was anything with Goulding, no idea.

I heard the same rumour and that a similar incident occurred after we’d played Wigan in Swansea - this time involving Goulding and Sullivan. Also rumoured that Joynt stepped in and put Goulding on his arse.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Richie Myler. I can’t get my head round teams continually signing him when he’d look out of place at Championship level.
    That's why I irrationally like him - always great to see him on a teamsheet facing us against us

Is that not why Goulding left rather than Hunte?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Is that not why Goulding left rather than Hunte?

Hunte left in 97, after putting in two transfer requests, and publicly said he was unhappy with certain issues at the club.

Goulding only left a year later, after gradually losing his place to Long (and some further 'disciplinary issues')

Hunte left in 97, after putting in two transfer requests, and publicly said he was unhappy with certain issues at the club.

Goulding only left a year later, after gradually losing his place to Long (and some further 'disciplinary issues')
    Ah. For some reason I thought Goulding had left mid 97 and Hunte left at the end of 97, must have been 98 when Goulding left. Got mixed up with Sully and Hunte I think.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

The annoying thing was, didn't we turn down a bid from an Australian club (Parramatta IIRC) for Goulding not long before all of the issues came to light?
    It did feel strange when Prescott, Hunte (and to a lesser extent Booth) all lined up for Hull against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Richie Myler's Mrs. I can’t get my head round BBC1 continually signing her when she’d look out of place at CBBC level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Richie Myler's Mrs. I can’t get my head round BBC1 continually signing her when she’d look out of place at CBBC level.
    He's a lucky ••••••• on more than one level.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Luke Gale. He was the poster boy for a bit before Danny McGuire played him off the park in that Grand Final they lost.

That semi-final still frustrates me, we were the better team by a mile that night.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Too true Mr Angry. Helen is as fit as a butchers dog in more ways than one.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Eh? Weird.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I think a lot of the reasons being given for disliking players are quite rational.

Not liking someone because they are unpleasant/over-rated/bad are all rational reasons.

My best answer is Brad Fittler, I am not sure why I never liked or rated him. Maybe it is me holding a grudge from the Super League war and a lot of Aussies loving him for siding with the ARL etc.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Replica Shirt

Newton - out there on his own as the dirtiest, nastiest player I've seen in 56 years watching RL. A disgrace to the game.
    McIlorum - apprentice Newton. Horrible.
    Hock - filthy and permanently offside.
    - and now the cheats (can't stand cheats):
    Sean O'Loughlin - constant interference at the play-ball mostly by lying around in the ruck pretending he's too old/infirm to get back on the right side, and gets away with it (because he's England Captain? or because Sky love him)
    Danny Maguire - should have been a footballer with his antics trying to con refs for penalties etc.
    Sam Tomkins - as above. Annoying, as he had enough talent to be admired by fans of all rival teams if he'd played more honestly.
    Ryan Atkins - classic cheat. Claims a try when he knows darn well he hasn't got that bouncing ball down in the in-goal. Maguire and Tomkins also do this.
    These guys stand out because RL, fortunately, has so few cheats. It is, happily, an honest game, in the main.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    Newton - out there on his own as the dirtiest, nastiest player I've seen in 56 years watching RL. A disgrace to the game.
    McIlorum - apprentice Newton. Horrible.
    Hock - filthy and permanently offside.
    - and now the cheats (can't stand cheats):
    Sean O'Loughlin - constant interference at the play-ball mostly by lying around in the ruck pretending he's too old/infirm to get back on the right side, and gets away with it (because he's England Captain? or because Sky love him)
    Danny Maguire - should have been a footballer with his antics trying to con refs for penalties etc.
    Sam Tomkins - as above. Annoying, as he had enough talent to be admired by fans of all rival teams if he'd played more honestly.
    Ryan Atkins - classic cheat. Claims a try when he knows darn well he hasn't got that bouncing ball down in the in-goal. Maguire and Tomkins also do this.
    These guys stand out because RL, fortunately, has so few cheats. It is, happily, an honest game, in the main.
    Not really IRRATIONAL ffs, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Too true Mr Angry. Helen is as fit as a butchers dog in more ways than one.
    She is on the attractive side

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think a lot of the reasons being given for disliking players are quite rational.

Not liking someone because they are unpleasant/over-rated/bad are all rational reasons.

My best answer is Brad Fittler, I am not sure why I never liked or rated him. Maybe it is me holding a grudge from the Super League war and a lot of Aussies loving him for siding with the ARL etc.
    To be honest Fittler was on the right side of the argument. Sl was crooked and stunk of Murdoch at his worst.