Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KC interview

Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

He still seems blind to why he was sacked, boring, negative rugby and appalling signings, with him saying ‘Maybe without the injuries and with a few bounces of the ball things could have been a lot different.’ I get it took a toll on him and his family, but his time as coach took its toll on the players, spectators and club.

It’s not his fault that the club took a risk on appointing someone with no coaching experience, he should have gone and had a year at Rochdale or somewhere like that, but he is responsible for his actions as coach.

Banned

Couldn't even be arsed reading it all. Self pity, crocodile tears and as deluded as ever. Wrap it up Kerion, you've had a fantastic career as a player but you'll never make a coach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Couldn't even be arsed reading it all. Self pity, crocodile tears and as deluded as ever. Wrap it up Kerion, you've had a fantastic career as a player but you'll never make a coach.
    I actually did read it all as I thought it bit unfair. I think he probably realises how wrong he got it but won't admit as much.

Learning All The Songs

Absolute legend of a player, one of the best I have seen, not as some on here have posted in the past, a good player because he was in a great team.
    His connection with supporters towards the end was non existent and some of his comments were controversial to say the least.
    Was he afforded the spending power Justin got almost instantly ? Was this because confidence in him had gone ? I don`t know and neither do many people. He had a go at coaching a top RL team that was also his hometown club I would not blame him for saying yes to that position, it was probably his first major failure in his life at that time. Do you need an ego, detachment and focus when in adversity, the history books say that is how great leaders turn many things around in all aspects of life.
    It was the wrong action but he stuck to his principles however right or wrong they were proven to be.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Absolute legend of a player, one of the best I have seen, not as some on here have posted in the past, a good player because he was in a great team.
    His connection with supporters towards the end was non existent and some of his comments were controversial to say the least.
    Was he afforded the spending power Justin got almost instantly ? Was this because confidence in him had gone ? I don`t know and neither do many people. He had a go at coaching a top RL team that was also his hometown club I would not blame him for saying yes to that position, it was probably his first major failure in his life at that time. Do you need an ego, detachment and focus when in adversity, the history books say that is how great leaders turn many things around in all aspects of life.
    It was the wrong action but he stuck to his principles however right or wrong they were proven to be.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

A fair few short memories in this town for me. As a coach I have little doubt he didn’t live up to our expectations and highly likely that of his own.
    I think deep down he knows it was a step too far too soon but the initial blame for me lay with the club. They appointed him as the return of a great player to be our head coach when Nathan Brown left, how many times has that ever worked out? Was he ever going to turn down such an opportunity? No, would I? Also no.

One of the greatest players to ever pull on the jersey, a fellow Thatto Heather born and bred with St Helens and the club running through his blood. His 2.5 years as coach although undeniably woeful, I would never ever flower it up any other way, we were pitiful. They do not define him, a legend of the club and game and someone I can say I had the privilege to watch for many years at Knowsley Road during undeniably our most recent glory years.

I hope his future ventures go his way. I am sure he will remain, as he states, a fan of the club.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    A fair few short memories in this town for me. As a coach I have little doubt he didn’t live up to our expectations and highly likely that of his own.
    I think deep down he knows it was a step too far too soon but the initial blame for me lay with the club. They appointed him as the return of a great player to be our head coach when Nathan Brown left, how many times has that ever worked out? Was he ever going to turn down such an opportunity? No, would I? Also no.

One of the greatest players to ever pull on the jersey, a fellow Thatto Heather born and bred with St Helens and the club running through his blood. His 2.5 years as coach although undeniably woeful, I would never ever flower it up any other way, we were pitiful. They do not define him, a legend of the club and game and someone I can say I had the privilege to watch for many years at Knowsley Road during undeniably our most recent glory years.

I hope his future ventures go his way. I am sure he will remain, as he states, a fan of the club.
    Couldn't put it any better. Totally agree

Banned

A great player idolised by the fans and let's be frank well looked after financially by the club. Sadly our club led with the heart and gave Kez a role he didn't have the skill set for.

I am pleased he has done this interview which is far better balanced than his leadership era. Good luck to him and hope he can return as a fan like Kel did.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Still one of the biggest legends in my lifetime supporting the club. But one thing was always bugging me when he was coach in that he learnt a lot of positives from nearly all our top super league coaches but never seemed to put these into practice whilst he was still a rookie coach and wanted to put his own badge on things which proved his downfall. In the interview he talked about in hindsight possibly doing things differently but his character was a dogmatic one which made him a great player and that didn't work as a coach and perhaps migrated to poor man management skills.

Hope to see him around the club a bit more especially to heal the wounds on the way he departed, he deserves to be appreciated as a truly great player and not too dwell too much his time as a coach.

I think that I must have read a different article to some on here. Cunningham, for the first time, shows an acceptance that he made mistakes and remorse that things didn't work out how he hoped. It's not easy for anyone to admit that things have spiralled out of their control in any context, let alone what must be a dream job.

There's no question that sacking him was the right call, but it's hard to criticise him for feeling gutted that it didn't work out for him. Great to see that he wishes the club well too. It's a dignified interview in my opinion and in a reasonable world should start to heal some of the lingering bitterness towards Cunningham (which was understandable given his conduct in the job).

Most of us would be hopeless players and hopeless coaches. A select few are good enough to be professional players. A select few are good enough to be coaches at the top level. Very few indeed, in any sport, reach the peak as both a coach and a player. KC has learned that the hard way.

I wish KC the best in his new business venture and will always remember the glorious moments that he brought in 16 majestic years as a player.

In The South Stand

My hope is that he’ll feel comfortable going to the ground and watching the team in future. He was a great player and an unsuccessful coach who made some ill considered remarks about fans. I think his playing career is what we should remember and let the rest go. Plenty of water has now passed under that bridge.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Just wondering "what was the name" of the new electrical supply company he mentions ? .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    My hope is that he’ll feel comfortable going to the ground and watching the team in future. He was a great player and an unsuccessful coach who made some ill considered remarks about fans. I think his playing career is what we should remember and let the rest go. Plenty of water has now passed under that bridge.
    Agree totally. The GF win has put this sad episode to bed for me, great player not so good at coaching.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Just wondering "what was the name" of the new electrical supply company he mentions ? .
    MK Electrical, outlined in the text.

I took a picture of a coffee cart a few days ago, it was called KC's Coffee Haven. Tried to upload but cant seem to. Might have raised a giggle.

Great to see a great player move on and be successful despite a woeful coaching period.

When Keiran played I never missed a game . He was definitely a legend . Shame it all went to bits when he was made manager . But good to see now with hopefully a successful business .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Still one of the biggest legends in my lifetime supporting the club. But one thing was always bugging me when he was coach in that he learnt a lot of positives from nearly all our top super league coaches but never seemed to put these into practice whilst he was still a rookie coach and wanted to put his own badge on things which proved his downfall. In the interview he talked about in hindsight possibly doing things differently but his character was a dogmatic one which made him a great player and that didn't work as a coach and perhaps migrated to poor man management skills.

Hope to see him around the club a bit more especially to heal the wounds on the way he departed, he deserves to be appreciated as a truly great player and not too dwell too much his time as a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    I think that I must have read a different article to some on here. Cunningham, for the first time, shows an acceptance that he made mistakes and remorse that things didn't work out how he hoped. It's not easy for anyone to admit that things have spiralled out of their control in any context, let alone what must be a dream job.

There's no question that sacking him was the right call, but it's hard to criticise him for feeling gutted that it didn't work out for him. Great to see that he wishes the club well too. It's a dignified interview in my opinion and in a reasonable world should start to heal some of the lingering bitterness towards Cunningham (which was understandable given his conduct in the job).

Most of us would be hopeless players and hopeless coaches. A select few are good enough to be professional players. A select few are good enough to be coaches at the top level. Very few indeed, in any sport, reach the peak as both a coach and a player. KC has learned that the hard way.

I wish KC the best in his new business venture and will always remember the glorious moments that he brought in 16 majestic years as a player.

Agree with both of these. There was bitterness from both sides (fans and himself) when he left, but this seems to have healed over time.

A young and inexperienced coach made mistakes and found his coaching methods and tactics didn't work, then went into a 'bunker mentality' when things started to go wrong. So we changed direction as a club, and it's worked out. On the bright side, the bad years have made us appreciate the recent successes even more.

Wish him well for the future.

I would have liked him to have been honest and build bridges with the club and fans. A simple quote would have been nice something like ‘ if at first you you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you’

Learning All The Songs

Kieron the player was the best player I've seen. LEGEND

Kieron the coach was awful but we still love him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Kieron the player was the best player I've seen. LEGEND

Kieron the coach was awful but we still love him
    Speak for yourself.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I actually did read it all as I thought it bit unfair. I think he probably realises how wrong he got it but won't admit as much.
    I think that attitude was what sums him up as a coach Dave. My dad always used to say "The man who never makes a mistake never makes anything." KC was always in denial, he never did anything wrong and his tactics were spot on, which of course we all know is nonsense. Rather like Rebecca long Bailey giving Corbyn 10/10 as leader of the opposition when he presided over said party's worst results since the 1930s!!

Learning All The Songs

I hope i never see someone like him coaching at the club again.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I think that attitude was what sums him up as a coach Dave. My dad always used to say "The man who never makes a mistake never makes anything." KC was always in denial, he never did anything wrong and his tactics were spot on, which of course we all know is nonsense. Rather like Rebecca long Bailey giving Corbyn 10/10 as leader of the opposition when he presided over said party's worst results since the 1930s!!
    Prez, its a great point, theres a quote, mistakes are the steppingstones to learning, if you do not see what you do as a mistake you do not learn from it. I’m sure people would say if he goes the games, but since i am unsure, it would be nice to see him down every now and again, at the end of the day he is a club legend and arguably the best player a lot of us have seen and surely would be given a great reception, even if his time as coach does detract from his legacy as a whole.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Exactly. I don't want to keep knocking the bloke but I don't like this big love in for him now. As he player he was a legend, as a coach the polar opposite but neither aspect should be forgotten.

I read the thread on here before I read the interview and found myself very surprised at peoples reactions.

Nothing wrong with that interview at all. Very honest in fact. He admits he would do things differently with hindsight and also admits to being as big a fan of the club as anyone.

Quite why anyone finds issue with this interview is beyond me. Yes he was an awful coach and yes he was arrogant at times but that interview was refreshingly honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk