Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KC interview

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I read the thread on here before I read the interview and found myself very surprised at peoples reactions.

Nothing wrong with that interview at all. Very honest in fact. He admits he would do things differently with hindsight and also admits to being as big a fan of the club as anyone.

Quite why anyone finds issue with this interview is beyond me. Yes he was an awful coach and yes he was arrogant at times but that interview was refreshingly honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I’m not sure what people want him to say

Starting A Programme Collection

had he not gone into coaching . He would have been the clubs ambassador , loved by all forever more! He took the gamble to coach and it went incredibly tits up . Had he have been honest , stood down when he new it was a failed mission he would have gained credibility and respect and no doubt would have been held in great respect for trying his best to lead his team .

The bitterness and resentment would have gone had he have done that. Any bridges built over he last two and half years he has just burnt in that interview. Stunned reading it i really was

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post

I was a shit coach !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I was a shit coach !
    And that he looked like a smash robot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think sadly Cunningham's coaching career and bizarre comments about the fans during that period will always tarnish his legacy and affection amongst some Saints fans now (not me btw).

Personally, I look at that period as one of the worst watching the club, so much so that I didn't want to go anymore, was apathetic towards the club and almost gave up my season ticket which I'd had since 1996.

The interview was quite honest though and he admits he would do things differently in hindsight which is fair enough. I did chuckle at his "if injuries hadn't occured and with the bounce of the ball" comment though, typical KC stubbornness that.

Awesome player though and still a legend in my eyes. His coaching career will be forgotten in time but everyone will be talking about him as a player in many years to come, like they do with Alex Murphy now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    And that he looked like a smash robot.

If red Vee did a post of the year award, this would be nominated hahahahaha

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I was a shit coach !
    And, I shouldn't have taken out my frustrations on the fans because I wasn't up to standard.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Oh something like

I now understand that coaching isn’t just about gameplans and tactics, there is more man management involved, is more about treating people with respect and getting people to perform at the top of their abilities. Unfortunately that is where I needed more experience. In hindsight I should have paid more attention to detail in managing the players on an individual level. I suppose that my playing career I always wanted to be the best and to perform at the top, but all people are different and need handling differently. That’s where I struggled with the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Oh something like

I now understand that coaching isn’t just about gameplans and tactics, there is more man management involved, is more about treating people with respect and getting people to perform at the top of their abilities. Unfortunately that is where I needed more experience. In hindsight I should have paid more attention to detail in managing the players on an individual level. I suppose that my playing career I always wanted to be the best and to perform at the top, but all people are different and need handling differently. That’s where I struggled with the role.

Nail on the head

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Oh something like

Spot on mate.

I thought it was quite an honest interview.
    What came through loud and clear was his love for the club.
    He was without peer for me as a player.
    His coaching career was without doubt a low point for me watching Saints in over 40 years. Whether it was down to inexperience, bloody mindedness or whatever.
    I have no issues separating the two parts of his career.
    I'd still like to think he would be treated with total respect if he showed up to watch the team as a spectator. In

Legendary player

Completely lacking in coaching ability unfortunately, don’t blame him for taking the job though

At the time I was surprised that he turned on the fans (and his own players at times) and hopefully that’s one thing he’s learnt from as it created a toxic atmosphere around the whole club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

My first thought was •••• him,
    I've not listened because the wi-fi in this hotel is shite
    BUT. he's one of us, and I've been one of his biggest critics and he's been big enough to speak, time to bury the hatchet in my eyes,

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    My first thought was •••• him,
    I've not listened because the wi-fi in this hotel is shite
    BUT. he's one of us, and I've been one of his biggest critics and he's been big enough to speak, time to bury the hatchet in my eyes,
    You want to bury the hatchet in your eyes......that's a bit drastic...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    You want to bury the hatchet in your eyes......that's a bit drastic...
    I feel like someone has buried one in my head this morning.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There was still elements of stubbornness in that interview, great if you are a player but not so much if you are a coach. Nice to see him t the club though because his 15 years as a top player shouldn't be overshadowed by his 2 years as a poor coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

You can't predict how people will react to stress and he didn't react well but that should not reflect how many of us saw him as a player. Time to forgive and forget the coaching years. Firmly believe he should have been sent elsewhere for a couple of years to learn the trade. As should wello in my opinion if he is to follow in KC's footsteps eg seconded to an aussie club for a season?
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

So... (thats for Div )

Having read the article I've got to agree with Stu, I read nothing in that the warrants ANY further demonisation / finger pointing at Keiron. I think it is time to bury the hatchet over his coaching stint. In 24 years of commitment thats all it was, a stint. It's probably time now to start looking beyond KC's time as a coach and instead, as a group of fans, players, town and community, look past those years and enjoy the memories he gave us as a player.

His statue - (albeit perhaps coming far too soon) - for me still stands as a poignant reminder of a true legend and it is now the responsibility of those who were lucky enough to witness his career to pass on those memories down to the next generation like our dads and granddads did before us with tales of Murph, Voll and the like.

I often get tired of todays media men and pundits 'bigging up' decent players to be superstars and miracle men, instead I wish we could have a sense of perspective. Let's enjoy good play, rightly celebrate the talent we have in our game today, but reserve mentions of 'superstars', 'box office' and 'legends' for the few players who have made such and impact in the game that they rise above everyone else.

Kieron Cunningham was a freak. As a teenager, I've NEVER, EVER seen anyone at such a young age with such strength, speed, skill and natural ability to come on to the scene and make people sit up and take notice. He was unbelievable and for him to continue that standard throughout his career with hardly any dip in form... well... that's why there's a statue of him.

A one club man, St.Helens born and bred, a glittering career that delivered the finest period in the clubs history. I'll take that.

I'll end with a quote from Critch's article...

"“I was lucky to do something which I loved every day. Coaching did not go how I thought it would go; how I wanted it to go.

“That hurts me because I am a fan. Cut me through the middle and I will bleed Saints forever for the rest of my life."

Thanks Keiron, you'll do for me.
    Have a quick look at 'The Last Days Of Knowsley Road' here http://saintsbook.wordpress.com/

Learning All The Songs

we should not let the period as our coach overshadow what he did as a player. The word legend is overused these days but KC is certainly a Saints legend.

SO....��. Well put Dom perfectly summarised.

Got A Season Ticket

Dom......excellent post! Well said

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post
    So... (thats for Div )

Having read the article I've got to agree with Stu, I read nothing in that the warrants ANY further demonisation / finger pointing at Keiron. I think it is time to bury the hatchet over his coaching stint. In 24 years of commitment thats all it was, a stint. It's probably time now to start looking beyond KC's time as a coach and instead, as a group of fans, players, town and community, look past those years and enjoy the memories he gave us as a player.

His statue - (albeit perhaps coming far too soon) - for me still stands as a poignant reminder of a true legend and it is now the responsibility of those who were lucky enough to witness his career to pass on those memories down to the next generation like our dads and granddads did before us with tales of Murph, Voll and the like.

I often get tired of todays media men and pundits 'bigging up' decent players to be superstars and miracle men, instead I wish we could have a sense of perspective. Let's enjoy good play, rightly celebrate the talent we have in our game today, but reserve mentions of 'superstars', 'box office' and 'legends' for the few players who have made such and impact in the game that they rise above everyone else.

Kieron Cunningham was a freak. As a teenager, I've NEVER, EVER seen anyone at such a young age with such strength, speed, skill and natural ability to come on to the scene and make people sit up and take notice. He was unbelievable and for him to continue that standard throughout his career with hardly any dip in form... well... that's why there's a statue of him.

A one club man, St.Helens born and bred, a glittering career that delivered the finest period in the clubs history. I'll take that.

"“I was lucky to do something which I loved every day. Coaching did not go how I thought it would go; how I wanted it to go.

“That hurts me because I am a fan. Cut me through the middle and I will bleed Saints forever for the rest of my life."

An excellent post.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

So... (thats for Div )

I'll add my voice to the chorus - cracking post, Dom.

A memory that sticks with me is being in the away end at Central Park in '94, at the cup game that we drew with the pies. A 16/17 year old KC reached up to catch an attempted chip over and then went halfway down the field with a couple of Wigan forwards hanging off him and one on his back. This was when Wigan were that good that every yard was like gold dust. I just remember everyone looking around at each other as if to say 'what the f*** have we got here?'.

So... (thats for Div )

Great post pal. Also one of only a handful of people on here that knows my real name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk