Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play the ball

Default Play the ball

Just reading on the TotalRL site that the play the ball is to be tightened up this season with players having to make contact with the ball with their foot. Link below but you have to be a subscriber to get the full article, which I’m not

https://www.totalrl.com/refs-to-targ...lay-the-balls/

Got A Season Ticket

About time too!

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

At last.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

I have mixed feelings about this. Last time they cracked down on this it was a penalty-fest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. Last time they cracked down on this it was a penalty-fest.
    And then they went back to ignoring it.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Just need to power through when that happens rather than the usual RL way of giving up if something isn't perfect straight away. If it's a penalty fest, that isn't the fault of the rule, it's the fault of the coaches and players. I mean it's not hard to do is it

Big Al will get hammered for penalties..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Big Al will get hammered for penalties..
    As long as players know what is being policed, no need for anyone to get hammered. Just need to get them to stop lying on now.

In The South Stand

Typical pre season stuff. It will get enforced rigorously at first and every game will be a penalty fest.Then it will gradually fade away and each ref will have their own interpretation of it and there will be no consistency.

Learning All The Songs

Id rather them be sharper on stopping defenders lying on and stopping the player playing the ball moving off the mark than ensuring they touch it with their foot. Once again the RFL are trying to solve something that isn't so much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    As long as players know what is being policed, no need for anyone to get hammered. Just need to get them to stop lying on now.
    This is the thing for me. I'd much rather we did something about the third man dropping on half an hour after the tackle is complete than quibbling over whether a toe touched a ball at the PTB.

Banned

This is the thing for me. I'd much rather we did something about the third man dropping on half an hour after the tackle is complete than quibbling over whether a toe touched a ball at the PTB.
    Me too, it really annoys me that although so do scruffy PTB's. I just hope the referee's don't go overkill with it.

Learning All The Songs

Get ready for sky to micro analyse every PTB before a try

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Get ready for sky to micro analyse every Saints PTB before a try
    FTFY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WARNING! PIE EATER!

About time too. It's something, as many of you know I've been on about for years and years and years. Maybe we'll now get acting halfbacks who are creative instead of endless dummy half scoots, the most one dimensional part of our game.

Play the ball with the foot or get penalised, it's that simple.

There are certain players who will struggle more than others at first but they'll learn quickly IF the referees apply the rule correctly. Don't blame the referees if they blow up for it, blame the players for doing it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    About time too. It's something, as many of you know I've been on about for years and years and years. Maybe we'll now get acting halfbacks who are creative instead of endless dummy half scoots, the most one dimensional part of our game.

Play the ball with the foot or get penalised, it's that simple.

There are certain players who will struggle more than others at first but they'll learn quickly IF the referees apply the rule correctly. Don't blame the referees if they blow up for it, blame the players for doing it.
    What do you think about getting 3/4 defenders, superfluous to the tackle, to pile onto the ruck, then peel off slowly to slow down the PTB and allow defensive lines to be fully set?

In The South Stand

The game will be more like a Rugby League game and better to watch .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    The game will be more like a Rugby League game and better to watch .

I don't think it will make any discernible difference, other than to slow it down some more.

The sport is struggling with a dynamism problem. Round about 2008, when the RFL/SL began relaxing the stringent PTB rules that had speeded the game up, our sport began to go into decline as an entertainment spectacle. The 'scoot' from DH was a means to an end - it was normally the next PTB that saw the attacking team able to exploit a disjointed defensive line with more room and gaps, and we saw more longer-range tries. First we got more leniency towards teams lying on the tackler for more seconds, then the piescum and Hudds ramped-up the 'wrestle', slowing the game down even more and making it too much of an attritional contest with big bloke running hard at an organised line of other big blokes, and a big rise in the proportion of tries scored both from kicks and from a PTB within a few metres of the line.

It's far less enjoyable to watch than in the late 90's and most of the 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I don't think it will make any discernible difference, other than to slow it down some more.

The sport is struggling with a dynamism problem. Round about 2008, when the RFL/SL began relaxing the stringent PTB rules that had speeded the game up, our sport began to go into decline as an entertainment spectacle. The 'scoot' from DH was a means to an end - it was normally the next PTB that saw the attacking team able to exploit a disjointed defensive line with more room and gaps, and we saw more longer-range tries. First we got more leniency towards teams lying on the tackler for more seconds, then the piescum and Hudds ramped-up the 'wrestle', slowing the game down even more and making it too much of an attritional contest with big bloke running hard at an organised line of other big blokes, and a big rise in the proportion of tries scored both from kicks and from a PTB within a few metres of the line.

I agree with 99% of what you say but I think the sport needs to get ‘tidier’ first of all - the shot clock helped massively last year and this is another step in getting the solid basics and principles of our game back before we look further

Learning All The Songs

Yes as they relaxed the PTB with the foot rule, players just stepped forward and rolled the ball back. This alongside not allowing lieing on lead the PTB being to quick to defend against.

I hope with this they now stop lieing on, and the ball carrier must regain their feet before placing the ball on the ground. This will slow the PTB down enough, so that the ref should penalise defenders not getting of the tackle as soon as the ball carrier us held.

In other words put the onus on the ball carrier to ensure a clean PTB and any interference from the defenders is penalised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Get ready for sky to micro analyse every PTB before a try
    If a referee doesn’t give a penalty for an incorrect play the ball and a try is scored could the video ref disallow it ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

What do you think about getting 3/4 defenders, superfluous to the tackle, to pile onto the ruck, then peel off slowly to slow down the PTB and allow defensive lines to be fully set?
    He thinks it's a great idea, and wonders why Wigan never thought of it.

Banned

Need to tidy up the ruck and stop the messing around instead of policing trivial things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I agree with 99% of what you say but I think the sport needs to get ‘tidier’ first of all - the shot clock helped massively last year and this is another step in getting the solid basics and principles of our game back before we look further
    Aye, very good points from Webbo but I also agree it needs tidying up.

In The South Stand

nOW LETS GET THE PACK set properly ie props propping and all the back three all being forwards then who knows srcum half and stand offs might have to go I into their own positions and feed the backs , nah it wouldn't be allowed .