Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roby ruled out of opener

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Roby ruled out of opener

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...by/?ref=twtrec

Roby still recovering from groin surgery so 'unlikely' to play in the opener.

Knowles, Makinson and Lees all back in full training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

It’s certainly no big deal, Woolf mentions Josh Eaves knocking on the door and I’d like to see him get a go this year. When I’ve seen him in the Academy he’s been impressive and looked decent in his game against Leeds

Banned

Not great news but not a massive deal and considering it will be cold it's probably for the best if he's not right. I had a lingering groin injury in my teens (no smutty jokes) and it was annoying because it was so difficult to shake off, most of the time I didn't notice it but it wasn't right for 2 years and could be bloody sore at times. I'm also intrigued to see Eaves although I'm not sure he'll be thrown straight in, we'll see I suppose.

Banned

Not to worries as i would of been in previous years but i really like the look of this aaron smith so be happy to see him given an extendes run in the first team

Plus there’s always Bentley as well.

Smith played well when called upon last year so should be able to step up when required, i've seen nothing of Eaves so couldn't give an opinion. A longer Pre Season probably wouldn't do Roby any harm.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt St Christopher's Avatar

Realistically there's also a danger Roby won't make the WCC Roosters game which would be a blow. Our replacements are sound players but experience is vital up front.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Smith will definitely get first run at hooker in Roby’s absence but I’d like to see more of Eaves this season as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Roby return week 2 off the bench and possibly continue with that role even into the WCC. The first 25 minute spell with Thompson and Walmsley laying a platform is an easier ride for the hooker, it’s once we start using the bench after 25 minutes that Roby’s experience could be a difference maker.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...by/?ref=twtrec

Roby still recovering from groin surgery so 'unlikely' to play in the opener.

Knowles, Makinson and Lees all back in full training.
    For me, the best news here is that Matty Lees is back.
    After the 'car crash'comments from the surgeons at Leeds hospital, I was worried that we wouldn't see him play again!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Smith will definitely get first run at hooker in Roby’s absence but I’d like to see more of Eaves this season as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Roby return week 2 off the bench and possibly continue with that role even into the WCC. The first 25 minute spell with Thompson and Walmsley laying a platform is an easier ride for the hooker, it’s once we start using the bench after 25 minutes that Roby’s experience could be a difference maker.
    Good post. Smith alongside Thompson and Walmsley and then Roby coming on with Amor and Lees for example would mean we keep some momentum and tempo after the interchange.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Good post. Smith alongside Thompson and Walmsley and then Roby coming on with Amor and Lees for example would mean we keep some momentum and tempo after the interchange.
    I am happy to step up if required

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Interestingly at the open training session yesterday they did a couple of set drills which started off as first team vs reserves. Bentley was the first team dummy half with Smith and Eaves on the reserve team. Maybe reading a bit too much into it but perhaps the new coach likes the look of Bentley at 9?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Christopher View Post
    Realistically there's also a danger Roby won't make the WCC Roosters game which would be a blow. Our replacements are sound players but experience is vital up front.
    Realistically it shouldn't matter that much because they will most likely cane us. I'd rather not risk him in a glorified friendly. I've just had a look on Sky bet and the Roosters are -10, the looks like buying money to me.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Realistically it shouldn't matter that much because they will most likely cane us. I'd rather not risk him in a glorified friendly. I've just had a look on Sky bet and the Roosters are -10, the looks like buying money to me.
    CMON Dave it's a bit more than a glorified friendly. Being World club champions must generate a good source of income for the club.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    CMON Dave it's a bit more than a glorified friendly. Being World club champions must generate a good source of income for the club.
    I seem to remember last time we played the WCC we had to guarantee the opposition £1 hundred thousand pounds expenses for travel, accomodation, player insurance, appearance money etc, before we started making a profit, a proportion was paid by Sky and the Rugby League but we had to make sure it was cost effective hence extra corporate restaurant space at the tech college hosted by ex Saints players etc. there was a lot of publicity and marketing to make it a sell out, but I'm not too sure that it will be the same this time around. I've got my ticket and I hope Im wrong, but the result last time might put a few off, mind you we won't have to shell out 70.00 odd quid for the brand of Vodka that apparently was Russell Crowes pre ordered drink of choice

Learning All The Songs

I’m with you im not really arsed about this game, i just hope we make a nice profit and it doesn’t affect us for the season.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Looks like Latrell Mitchell won’t be playing for the Roosters which is a big plus for us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Aye ok, I'm just trying to be realistic that we probably won't win and if that's the case we're better not risking him. Don't worry, I'll be cheering as loud as anyone at the game.

Learning All The Songs

Roby will be a big miss. i have said it before but currently on what i have seen last season Bentley for me has shown significant improvement.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    Interestingly at the open training session yesterday they did a couple of set drills which started off as first team vs reserves. Bentley was the first team dummy half with Smith and Eaves on the reserve team. Maybe reading a bit too much into it but perhaps the new coach likes the look of Bentley at 9?
    I’d like to see him have a run at 13 at some stage, spelling Knowles. I know he played there at Bradford but he seems to have decent acceleration and leg speed, he’s got a pass in him and he’s obviously got high work rate as well. That’d be the position I’d see him in at this stage long term personally.

In terms of Roby, it only sounds like he’ll miss a couple of games max. Hopefully he can play a part in the WCC.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Not convinced on Smith yet. He looks okay but let’s be honest, okay isn’t good enough in that position. I like Bentley a lot, I hope one way or another, he nails a position this year, he seems to be a man without a clear position at the minute. His versatility was a huge asset last year but he can’t spend his career as a complete utility.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Maybe Lewis Dodd will be ready to have a crack at 7 in a couple of years & we can put Fages at 9? Or bring a 7 in? Not that there's many decent ones about over here

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

As always with Roby missing what suffers is the speed and accuracy of service from the ptb so whilst others can fill in it is the slowing of our game that is the bigger problem. If whoever comes in can match that speed of service it will help. I hope that Azzer and Bentley are doing overtime throwing balls into a bin from the ground because it is back breaking work and almost impossible to do it every time with the quality Roby does.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Not sure I agree. The front row will be a match for anyone. I'm not sure I would back Saints to win but I certainly don't think we'll be 'caned.'
    I'd also hope the clubv treat the WCC seriously. The game is in need of a massive credibility shot and being stuffed by another Australian team won't help though that would be symptomatic of how •••• poorly run the sport is over here.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Not sure I agree. The front row will be a match for anyone. I'm not sure I would back Saints to win but I certainly don't think we'll be 'caned.'
    I'd also hope the clubv treat the WCC seriously. The game is in need of a massive credibility shot and being stuffed by another Australian team won't help though that would be symptomatic of how •••• poorly run the sport is over here.
    I've got a feeling we will win. I'm pretty confident