Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Marmite' Saints XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Surely not he was very good. I would take a front row with him and Farleigh anyday!
    I totally agree, but I do remember people slagging him off when he played for us. I think it was because he wasn’t a pacey, tackle breaking powerhouse like Fairleigh. But I loved watching him play - an old school prop who put a real shift in and had a great pair of hands, too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Played in a Challenge Cup game when they were pre season and left shortly after, Was signed from Castleford. Had some good games for Cas and I was excited at signing him at the time. Something must have happened for him to leave so suddenly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    He got a job as a bouncer. I don't think he played again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I totally agree, but I do remember people slagging him off when he played for us. I think it was because he wasn’t a pacey, tackle breaking powerhouse like Fairleigh. But I loved watching him play - an old school prop who put a real shift in and had a great pair of hands, too.
    He was our only real prop forward at one point and played big minutes.
    Doesnt deserve a mention in comparison with some names on here

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Played in a Challenge Cup game when they were pre season and left shortly after, Was signed from Castleford. Had some good games for Cas and I was excited at signing him at the time. Something must have happened for him to leave so suddenly.

He had all he needed to be a top player but had a number of off field issues shall we say

Banned

Brian Parkes and Dennis Litherland as we started to struggle post 1978 these guys divided opinion, mainly due to the ageing quality they replaced.

Paul Round and a young Paul Forber used to bring some groans from the popular side when normally brought on as substitutes in the early eighties but both proved their worth as did Steve Peters he may have been a bit slow over the turf but he did the tackling of two half backs.

Moving forward and forgetting the rubbish Cunningham brought in. Matty Smith over 3 spells is the king of division whilst on a controversial note Regan has his lovers and doubters. With our fans even Murphy doesn't escape fully.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Brian Parkes and Dennis Litherland as we started to struggle post 1978 these guys divided opinion, mainly due to the ageing quality they replaced.

Paul Round and a young Paul Forber used to bring some groans from the popular side when normally brought on as substitutes in the early eighties but both proved their worth as did Steve Peters he may have been a bit slow over the turf but he did the tackling of two half backs.

Moving forward and forgetting the rubbish Cunningham brought in. Matty Smith over 3 spells is the king of division whilst on a controversial note Regan has his lovers and doubters. With our fans even Murphy doesn't escape fully.
    I seen Brian on New years day, nice bloke but I heard he was a crap player, before my time though. I don't think Smith or any of the other rubbish Cunningham brought in divide opinion much. I can only think of Peyroux who's turned out anything like.

Banned

I wouldn't say crap Dave, Brian and Dennis replaced ageing homegrown heroes like Billy Benyon and Les Jones our conveyer belt from the A team had dried up and the club was skint.

That makes it hard for fans whose expectations rightly at Saints was win and play really expansive rugby which aligned us to Leeds and different from Wigan.

1980 onwards those of us who remained on the terraces knew we were going to watch local lads giving it a go and we perhaps moaned less in the early eighties due to this fact. Menninga was great make no bones but God we as fans were ready for him and hence the cult status.

Lyon for me was better than Mal but it was like going back to the John Walsh era we were spoilt for choice. My worst period was Dawson and Owens on opposite wings and Tommy Lee as hooker. That wasn't marmite it was arsnenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Bonkers that. Britt was a top, top prop. He lived around the corner from my mate. He couldn't walk for 3 to 4 days after a game and went again. A tough, tough bloke

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Bonkers that. Britt was a top, top prop. He lived around the corner from my mate. He couldn't walk for 3 to 4 days after a game and went again. A tough, tough bloke
    He was quality,one of the best import props we have had. such a shame his career ended like it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I seen Brian on New years day, nice bloke but I heard he was a crap player, before my time though. I don't think Smith or any of the other rubbish Cunningham brought in divide opinion much. I can only think of Peyroux who's turned out anything like.
    Harsh to say he was crap.. We always had plenty of local lads in the squad then. Many of them, Brian included were fringe players much of their career spent in the A team with occasional runs in the first team. Played a lot of games in the 70's and 80's often Sunday -midweek- Sunday fixtures. We needed lads like that at the time. Local lads, not world-beaters admittedly but decent enough.
    Played with a good few of them over the years at amateur level. Played with Mick Glover at UGB and Blackbrook and he had played for Saints against The Kangaroos of invincible fame! What a claim that you played against a front row of Craig Young, Max Krillich and Les Boyd!

This is worth a read:

http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/player.php?num=15401
    Last edited by Div; 5th January 2020 at 16:53.

Learning All The Songs

Harsh to say he was crap.. We always had plenty of local lads in the squad then. Many of them, Brian included were fringe players much of their career spent in the A team with occasional runs in the first team. Played a lot of games in the 70's and 80's often Sunday -midweek- Sunday fixtures. We needed lads like that at the time. Local lads, not world-beaters admittedly but decent enough.
    Played with a good few of them over the years at amateur level. Played with Mick Glover at UGB and Blackbrook and he had played for Saints against The Kangaroos of invincible fame! What a claim that you played against a front row of Craig Young, Max Krillich and Les Boyd!

This is worth a read:

Spot on with that Div. Almost every amateur club had an old pro usually much traveled or still playing "under alias" A team player.
    Who was the guy I think his first name was Billy ? He played for many lower first team pro clubs, he had rolled down socks , sideburns, played as a ballhandling loose forward, kicked goals and out of hand for touch. He once played an A team match on a Wednesday, for one of the amateurs on Saturday, (Recs, Finch or Hounds whoever were at home and short) and for Runcorn on Sunday.
    These fellas loved the game and were much needed to the likes of Runcorn back then.
    Some can have great claims as with Mick Glover.
    Others can claim they were let go from Saints because they would have kept Menninga out of the side..
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 5th January 2020 at 17:32.

Billy Platt? Yeah, played with him as well!

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He coached one of my lads, nice bloke, knew his stuff, not keen on stroppy teenagers though haha

Banned

This is worth a read:

Good write up that. The part about the viking burial was funny.

Learning All The Songs

Billy Platt? Yeah, played with him as well!
    That`s him, a real throw back to days gone by, even in the 80`s.
    Did you get the centre that we had to sell to allow Meninnga to play for us (well so he insists) ?
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 5th January 2020 at 20:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    That`s him, a real throw back to days gone by, even in the 80`s.
    Did you get the centre that we had to sell to allow Meninnga to play for us (well so he insists) ?
    Sean Allen??

Got A Season Ticket

Wasn’t Roy Haggerty the centre that made way for Meninga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

How about Stuart Evans? A brute of a man who hadn't a clue how to play RL. Apparently, though, he was pretty good at decking a posing boxer in the local chippy!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Travelvocation View Post
    Wasn’t Roy Haggerty the centre that made way for Meninga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue another funny Roy 'Agg story, that when when the club announced they'd signed Australian centre Mal Meninga, Roy muttered along the lines of "Dunno where they're going to play him, we've already got two centres"

Played his best rugby as a 12, though, did Roy.

Banned

1. Adam Quinlan
    2. Francis Meli
    3. Jordan Turner
    4. Paul Loughlin
    5. Les Quirk
    6. Mark Bailey
    7. Shane Cooper
    8. Tony Burke
    9. Paul Groves
    10. Jonathan Neill
    11. Roy Haggerty
    12. Jon Harrison
    13. Jon Wilkin

Pointless mentioning players like Davidson, Owens etc as they palpably players who were so poor that they were disliked by more or less everyone. These players belong in one of those off-season 'worst Saints XIII...'

Banned

1. Clive Griffiths. Big money RU signing more marmite than honey
    2. Jamie Foster. Would eat himself if either, had his younger fans though.
    3. Brian Parkes. Local lad following legends, easy target.
    4. Steve Peters lacked pace but not bottle, more honey than marmite.
    5. Dennis Litherland. As number 3 marmite for the majority.

6. Bill Francis. Never a dirty shirt he was a finer things in life player. Real marmite for many, but a class act.
    7. Ken Gwilliam. Not one of the better scrum halves to grace Knowsley Road but useful utility value.

8. Big Stu Evans. He could play and play hard one game out of three. Loved and loathed.
    9. Graham Liptrot. Early doors replacing Karalius was slaughtered as Ashton's daughters fella. Got better with age.
    10. Barry Ward. Strange signing and more morale value around a top top team.
    11. Eric Chisnall. Club legend to many and a lucky man to a vocal few.
    12. Gary Bottell. Played more at prop but a real target around our descent in 1980/81
    13. Harry Pinner. International, class act. But marmite for some speccies and DIRECTORS

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Sean Allen??
    No
    I went to school and played with Shaun. He played opposite centre to Mal the season he was here. He did leave for Oldham couple of years later.

Banned

Decent player Shaun. He had a bit of the Percivals about him. I thought he was worth keeping.

No
    I went to school and played with Shaun. He played opposite centre to Mal the season he was here. He did leave for Oldham couple of years later.
    Thx. He was the only centre I could remember leaving around that time.

Learning All The Songs

No
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Thx. He was the only centre I could remember leaving around that time.
    Steve Fenney, when he meets people who have never heard of him and that he played for us he says that Saints got shot of him because they did not want him keeping Menninga out of the side.
    One of the many characters from them times.