Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Ragan Grace Fastest In Superleague

Learning All The Songs

Default Ragan Grace Fastest In Superleague

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...layer-in-2019/

OK, we all knew that anyway but I was surprised when I read that 2 of the fastest top 6 were hookers.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I doubt either of the hookers would be anywhere near the top in a foot race but they measure top speeds and hookers can be very explosive over 10-20m, acceleration out of dummy half against a retreating defence is so important and I imagine they spend a lot of time working on it. Be interested to know if those top speeds were reached with ball in hand.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I doubt either of the hookers would be anywhere near the top in a foot race but they measure top speeds and hookers can be very explosive over 10-20m, acceleration out of dummy half against a retreating defence is so important and I imagine they spend a lot of time working on it. Be interested to know if those top speeds were reached with ball in hand.
    Bang on. Super post

Learning All The Songs

I am a fan of our boy, a few on here have doubted his speed saying Sully and Darren Albert were much quicker, this boy has serious wheels. He is slight and not the finished article yet, personally I do not want to see him bulk anymore but he seems to be strapped up more with every other game and I agree he does need better speed endurance that Albert certainly had.
    I hope his natural "filling out" as he gets older does not compromise his acceleration.
    Daryl Clarke recorded the fastest speed of any field athlete ever (soccer/rugby inclusive) last year when chasing down a break, watch Regan`s great try against Wire last season Clarke attempts to get back to him and is burned.
    Enjoy him while we have him, keep it going Regan and ignore the Aussie lure.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I am a fan of our boy, a few on here have doubted his speed saying Sully and Darren Albert were much quicker, this boy has serious wheels. He is slight and not the finished article yet, personally I do not want to see him bulk anymore but he seems to be strapped up more with every other game and I agree he does need better speed endurance that Albert certainly had.
    I hope his natural "filling out" as he gets older does not compromise his acceleration.
    Daryl Clarke recorded the fastest speed of any field athlete ever (soccer/rugby inclusive) last year when chasing down a break, watch Regan`s great try against Wire last season Clarke attempts to get back to him and is burned.
    Enjoy him while we have him, keep it going Regan and ignore the Aussie lure.
    This is an interesting topic and I think this article includes the data you're referring to regards Clark-
    https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...league-combine

Here's the data from the NRL last year-

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/...i-is-revealed/

Just shows how fast Addo-Carr is and that it's not necessarily the case that adding some extra kilos will slow Regan down.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    This is an interesting topic and I think this article includes the data you're referring to regards Clark-
    https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...league-combine

Here's the data from the NRL last year-

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/...i-is-revealed/

Just shows how fast Addo-Carr is and that it's not necessarily the case that adding some extra kilos will slow Regan down.

Regards,

STEVO
    Nailed on it won't be interesting if you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    That was great. I also loved the try he scored against Wigan on Good Friday, when, from practically a standing start, he puts on the afterburners, and it's as if he's in fast forward compared to everyone else. You mentioned speed endurance, but I remember Jason Robinson, who was quicker than anyone over 20 meters, had a pretty mediocre top speed over distance. It may be that Grace is more in that mode, which is no bad thing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    That was great. I also loved the try he scored against Wigan on Good Friday, when, from practically a standing start, he puts on the afterburners, and it's as if he's in fast forward compared to everyone else. You mentioned speed endurance, but I remember Jason Robinson, who was quicker than anyone over 20 meters, had a pretty mediocre top speed over distance. It may be that Grace is more in that mode, which is no bad thing.
    Yes, I mentioned last season that Regan Grace is very much like Billy Whiz in that he is OK up to 60 metres and then struggles to maintain top speed. Its his footwork and quick change in direction that causes so much panic once he is in open play, the more experienced he gets then he will use that to a better advantage once he finds an individual defenders weakness.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, I mentioned last season that Regan Grace is very much like Billy Whiz in that he is OK up to 60 metres and then struggles to maintain top speed. Its his footwork and quick change in direction that causes so much panic once he is in open play, the more experienced he gets then he will use that to a better advantage once he finds an individual defenders weakness.
    While I agree with you, I do think he showed a lot more experience last year and improved a lot.

Starting A Programme Collection

If there'd be one area I'd like to see Regan improve on it would be coming inside more often off Percy's breaks. Perhaps just needs a bit more communication between them both or the coach to instil the confidence in him

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    While I agree with you, I do think he showed a lot more experience last year and improved a lot.
    If he keeps improving then I can see him joining up with JH again.