Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up with loop fixtures

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The game isn't strong enough to field fourteen teams, Saints had a good increase in attendance last year but it was on the back of having three home derbies v Wigan, and three games v Leeds. They still had five attendances below 10K. If those games had been say Featherstone, Toulouse and Widnes it would have had a big effect.
    Also factor in t.v revenue, the "pot" would be shared out between fourteen clubs, can you imagine the clubs voting for that? One of the reasons the Toronto bid was accepted was that it now means the t.v. money is split eleven ways.

IF we had a fourteen teams strong enough then maybe yes, but at present it won't work.
    Last season if we' had a first past the post system there would have been little interest from July onwards, even as it was the main focus was on the relegation and that can't be right. Football isn't the same, clubs are still competing for Champions League places (big money) or play off places in the lower leagues, but then again they have twenty four teams in those lower divisions.
    This. We really don’t have 14 strong enough teams. It might be something we can work towards going forward but it’s not something we can do immediately, or within the next year. It would need to be a 3-5 year plan to expand, maybe longer.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

The game isn't strong enough to field fourteen teams, Saints had a good increase in attendance last year but it was on the back of having three home derbies v Wigan, and three games v Leeds. They still had five attendances below 10K. If those games had been say Featherstone, Toulouse and Widnes it would have had a big effect.
    Also factor in t.v revenue, the "pot" would be shared out between fourteen clubs, can you imagine the clubs voting for that? One of the reasons the Toronto bid was accepted was that it now means the t.v. money is split eleven ways.

IF we had a fourteen teams strong enough then maybe yes, but at present it won't work.
    Last season if we' had a first past the post system there would have been little interest from July onwards, even as it was the main focus was on the relegation and that can't be right. Football isn't the same, clubs are still competing for Champions League places (big money) or play off places in the lower leagues, but then again they have twenty four teams in those lower divisions.
    Just a couple of points of correction re: attendances. Yes we did play Wigan three times at home but one of those was the semi-final play off so didn’t count in the final attendance figures. We played Leeds at home twice not three times.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Just a couple of points of correction re: attendances. Yes we did play Wigan three times at home but one of those was the semi-final play off so didn’t count in the final attendance figures. We played Leeds at home twice not three times.
    The play off was counted in the average attendance figures, Leeds yes it was two home games, my mistake.

Banned

It's not often I agree with you but you're spot on in this case, even though I called for 14 teams, there's not enough good players and not enough money to go around. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place and I can't see anything changing any time soon, as sad and depressing that is.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It's not often I agree with you but you're spot on in this case, even though I called for 14 teams, there's not enough good players and not enough money to go around. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place and I can't see anything changing any time soon, as sad and depressing that is.
    I agree, my solution not ideal would be to have a 12 team SL playing each other twice with the winners being SL Champions finishing around July. Most would agree the CC and Wembley as much as I love it is dead on its arse and needs a revamp, included in season ticket 2 groups of 6 (for SL clubs only the rest could contest 1895 cup I suppose) playing once giving five extra games throw the magic weekend in that if you want, then the top two from each group play in a semi then Final at Old Trafford meaning the GF winners would win the Challenge Cup? Its not ideal but neither is jockeying for position all year until a meaningful game comes along, coupled with attendances for cup and play off games on the slide suggests that the current format isn't working. I love RL but playing all season for a chance to appear in a final will never sit well with me, the value of two SL points have been ridiculously eroded.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I've always found it bizarre when calculating attendance it's all if this, well if Wigan didn't have good Friday, if saints played on the moon etc etc

It's an average of how many people attended matches, and if it drops next year, there'll be other excuses

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I agree, my solution not ideal would be to have a 12 team SL playing each other twice with the winners being SL Champions finishing around July. Most would agree the CC and Wembley as much as I love it is dead on its arse and needs a revamp, included in season ticket 2 groups of 6 (for SL clubs only the rest could contest 1895 cup I suppose) playing once giving five extra games throw the magic weekend in that if you want, then the top two from each group play in a semi then Final at Old Trafford meaning the GF winners would win the Challenge Cup? Its not ideal but neither is jockeying for position all year until a meaningful game comes along, coupled with attendances for cup and play off games on the slide suggests that the current format isn't working. I love RL but playing all season for a chance to appear in a final will never sit well with me, the value of two SL points have been ridiculously eroded.
    Read an idea online recently of a 40 team Challenge Cup with eight groups of five. Top two through and so on. Still think attendances would be rubbish.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Meant to add I'm not advocating abandoning London, I think the England or GB team is a far better marketing tool for London and the South, why would anyone from London want to watch two Northern clubs, the national team at least something anyone interested can relate to.

Learning All The Songs

I’m not so sure. It might increase competition in the bottom half of the league

I also like the radical idea of 14 teams playing 13 home games and 13 away games and the top team wins the league. It’s genius but it’s not complicated enough. Make every 5th game play on a Tuesday afternoon in Venezuela

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I’m not so sure. It might increase competition in the bottom half of the league

I also like the radical idea of 14 teams playing 13 home games and 13 away games and the top team wins the league. It’s genius but it’s not complicated enough. Make every 5th game play on a Tuesday afternoon in Venezuela
    I guess no system is without it's pro's and con's but I'm pretty old school and I've never been sold on the play offs, they're just not my cup of tea. If we have to stick with a play off system which I'm sure we will then the current one is about the best.

Learning All The Songs

I guess no system is without it's pro's and con's but I'm pretty old school and I've never been sold on the play offs, they're just not my cup of tea. If we have to stick with a play off system which I'm sure we will then the current one is about the best.
    I’m with you there