Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: UK players Gap year

Got A Season Ticket

Default UK players Gap year

Reported today that the Canberra Raiders are looking to bring a Huddersfield under-20s player to Canberra to essentially do a gap year before returning. They also talked to Wigan about a similar arrangement. Get them young ?????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Parrer View Post
    Reported today that the Canberra Raiders are looking to bring a Huddersfield under-20s player to Canberra to essentially do a gap year before returning. They also talked to Wigan about a similar arrangement. Get them young ?????
    Great idea.

I’m surprised there aren’t more tie ups between NRL and super league teams to do similar things. A youth player exchange for 12 months.

Forget about the rugby experience it would be great life experience for the young players living in a different country for 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Great idea.

I’m surprised there aren’t more tie ups between NRL and super league teams to do similar things. A youth player exchange for 12 months.

Forget about the rugby experience it would be great life experience for the young players living in a different country for 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And a great way of tapping up our best young players safe in the knowledge that theirs will come back home. No thanks.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    And a great way of tapping up our best young players safe in the knowledge that theirs will come back home. No thanks.
    Its an absolutely terrible idea, it would be a talent drain on Super League, we need to do more to keep our best and brightest in Super League not provide NRL clubs with near free reign to tap up our best young players.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    As i understand it, it's not an exchange of players, but UK to Australia only, for one year or season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As i understand it, it's not an exchange of players, but UK to Australia only, for one year or season.
    Even more reason not to get involved.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Basically pick out the most promising academy talent, take them for a year to see if they like them, then send them back if they don’t think they’re good enough. Sounds great.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

I can't believe any club would entertain this or anyone think it's a good idea.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Could we work this the other way round? Plenty of young Aussies want to spend some time over here.
    I know that a 'gap year' in St Helen's probably doesn't sound that great a pull but you never know!
    ..Or should we just be focusing on our own talent pools?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Could we work this the other way round? Plenty of young Aussies want to spend some time over here.
    I know that a 'gap year' in St Helen's probably doesn't sound that great a pull but you never know!
    Not sure. Would that possibly hinder opportunities for our own young players?

EDIT: Sorry Kentish, you already said it
    Last edited by Ralph Fridge; 30th December 2019 at 13:06.

To be honest, I'm pretty sick of us just rolling over for the NRL. They have zero interest in rugby league outside Premiership clubs over there.

Time we put a ban on players representing GB/England unless they play in Super League. And cap the number of overseas players you can have.

I agree with the general sentiment on here.

I've never gone along with the idea that it's a good thing that our best players play in the NRL. The goal should be to have the best players playing over here in a vibrant competition that can attract sponsorship and broadcast revenue. Lying down and meekly accepting feeder status is not the way to achieve this.

Thankfully we are beginning to see the benefits of the marquee rules, which are certainly a step in the right direction. The calibre of import has certainly gone up a notch over the last season or two, and the flood of players going the other way has slowed down.

In The South Stand

I agree with Ralph Fridge post 11.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    To be honest, I'm pretty sick of us just rolling over for the NRL. They have zero interest in rugby league outside Premiership clubs over there.

Time we put a ban on players representing GB/England unless they play in Super League. And cap the number of overseas players you can have.
    Spot on, bollocks to them. Same goes for players who want to take the AUS $ but at the same time we need to at least try and make up some ground on the wage parity.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Might as well go the next step, which is to introduce SL as a Duel-Reg partner for NRL clubs!!

Have a "try before you buy" offer!

Learning All The Songs

I think we have it right with the academy tour, it gives our young players a fantastic life experience and tests them against the best. Whilst we get a good look at upcoming Aussie coaches in their youth and academy structure.

I hope the club stay well clear of sending any of our youngsters on a secondment type deal.

Banned

I read myself apparently Huddersfield have agreed to this nonsense, at least most of their players are crap.

Thick As Mince

Evening chaps. There is a post on our board about this. Canberra said something about our players last week but it certainly wasn't along the lines of gap years etc. They openly state what players they want from SL. Us in particular

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/can...rab-1-10169009

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    There is some truth to this, young blokes regularly ask about playing in the UK, so think this gap year could work both ways, as well as benefit both clubs.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

understand the sentiment but i would not like to see us go back to losing by 30 or 40 nil to the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Evening chaps. There is a post on our board about this. Canberra said something about our players last week but it certainly wasn't along the lines of gap years etc. They openly state what players they want from SL. Us in particular

I cannot believe that this is allowed to happen

understand the sentiment but i would not like to see us go back to losing by 30 or 40 nil to the Aussies.
    We don't even play them anymore due to the NRL kicking off about pretty much every international fixture so I wouldn't worry about it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post

Starting to feel like a Mackerel being circled by a school of sharks.

Super League: The NRL's feeder competition.

With an Aussie as national coach & Aussies in our national side.

I despair at the mess we are in

Learning All The Songs

We will become the BDO to the PDC