Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season ticket sales?

Banned

Default Season ticket sales?

Seen a few clubs mention now how many tickets have been sold but nothing has been announced by saints yet. Are we to pass our 10k expectation

Banned

I wouldn't know personally but maybe a good gauge would be ticket sales for the WCC now that the season ticket holders deadline has passed. Hopefully its around the ten thousand mark that is perhaps our top end in reality.

Learning All The Songs

I wouldn’t think we’d be anywhere near 10,000. I was thinking more like 6,000, 7,000 at the most.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I wouldn’t think we’d be anywhere near 10,000. I was thinking more like 6,000, 7,000 at the most.
    So we have a strong settled team, playing the best rugby we have for years and you think we'll lose a couple of thousand or more ST holders?

Banned

6 or 7k? That would be the lowest sales we have ever had wouldnt it forgetting the year at widnes. I know we always set a target of 10k and with us winning the grand final and playing the most entertaining rugby weve had in the last decade was hoping we set record this year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    So we have a strong settled team, playing the best rugby we have for years and you think we'll lose a couple of thousand or more ST holders?
    He is blaming Wilkin for the drop in numbers.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He is blaming Wilkin for the drop in numbers.
    haha! Probably about right.

Banned

I'm convinced the main problem is kick off times. Personally Friday's are no good for me for various reasons, people with young kids don't want them out so late and younger people seem to prefer the pub. Not forgetting most teams bring less than 1000 fans and to be honest I can't really blame them. 15 years ago I followed Saints everywhere with a group of mates but if you ask me now if I'm going to Huddersfield on a Friday night in March I doubt I'd go if I had a free ticket but I'm fairly certain I would on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. People are busy and can't be arsed sitting on the M62 at gone midnight. I know nothing will change while we're Sky's bitch but I'm convinced playing at the weekend would improve attendances and ticket sales. Sky could still have a weekly Friday night game if it's so important to them. I'd like to see a TV schedule of Friday 19:30 ko, Saturday and Sunday 15:-17:00 ko.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I wouldn’t use Saturday afternoons for Super League because of the amateur game. Amateur clubs would potentially suffer in various ways. Obviously there’s football and Rugby Union as well now given how early in the year round 1 is.

I think a couple more Sunday afternoon games would be good for the club though.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah, especially summer games when we're playing teams with 'poor' away support. Good chance for us to lower ticket prices and try to attract some of the younger generation and kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I wouldn’t use Saturday afternoons for Super League because of the amateur game. Amateur clubs would potentially suffer in various ways. Obviously there’s football and Rugby Union as well now given how early in the year round 1 is.

The amateur game has all but disappeared anyway. The switch to summer decimated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    The amateur game has all but disappeared anyway. The switch to summer decimated it.
    I don’t disagree, the game is really struggling. Think the standard of the top couple of divisions is pretty strong though, the England Lions programme has offered something as well, although the better players get offers from the semi pro game or elsewhere. Probably a discussion for another thread though.

For me as I say, a combination of Friday’s and Sunday’s would be ideal.
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

All but disappeared in what way? We have a 5 tier North West Men’s League (which provided this years 2019 National Cup winners and will have 2 representatives in the 2020 Challenge Cup). Then there’s the 4 tier NCL which is providing a conveyor belt to League 1 and even Championship clubs currently (Thatto Heath alone have just had 4 signed by Swinton, Rochdale and Widnes). We have online coverage for NCL matches and amateur clubs showing up on the BBC in cup competitions.
    I don’t have the stats for NCL but I know in the NWML there was a 14% participation increase in 2019 from 2018.

How has the amateur game “disappeared?”
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    All but disappeared in what way? We have a 5 tier North West Men’s League (which provided this years 2019 National Cup winners and will have 2 representatives in the 2020 Challenge Cup). Then there’s the 4 tier NCL which is providing a conveyor belt to League 1 and even Championship clubs currently (Thatto Heath alone have just had 4 signed by Swinton, Rochdale and Widnes). We have online coverage for NCL matches and amateur clubs showing up on the BBC in cup competitions.
    I don’t have the stats for NCL but I know in the NWML there was a 14% participation increase in 2019 from 2018.

How has the amateur game “disappeared?”
    Maybe disappeared was a bit strong but it has massively contracted.
    Well for starters the NWCL used to be about 13 divisions.
    NW mens league was barely down to a single division not so long ago wasn't it?

The other regional divisions have shrunk in a similar manner.

Dozens of teams have disappeared in St Helens. A large number of clubs have gone completely. Most clubs used to run 2/3 teams, many seem to struggle to get one on the park.
    The NCL isn't the standard it was.

I think there is a huge gulf from the bottom end of the championship and league one.

I don't think it's peculiar to amateur RL. Other sports like Football have seen similar declines.

Maybe disappeared was a bit strong but it has massively contracted.
    Well for starters the NWCL used to be about 13 divisions.
    NW mens league was barely down to a single division not so long ago wasn't it?

The other regional divisions have shrunk in a similar manner.

Dozens of teams have disappeared in St Helens. A large number of clubs have gone completely. Most clubs used to run 2/3 teams, many seem to struggle to get one on the park.
    The NCL isn't the standard it was.

I think there is a huge gulf from the bottom end of the championship and league one.
    North West Men’s hasn’t been one division in a long long time. It’s been 5 for quite some time, 5 years at least.

I agree there’s been a reduction in teams from 10 years ago perhaps. I don’t agree with the NCL standard not being as great. You’ve got more chance of NCL sides beating semi pro clubs than 10 years ago and there seems to be more talent being picked up from the NCL by semi pro clubs too. There’s much of a link between amateur and semi pro clubs now than when I first started playing Open Age 15 years ago and I think the coaching standards are better too.

As I say I agree there’s been an overall reduction in numbers from a good few years ago but in the last 2-3 years things have picked up significantly. “Disappeared” was definitely a bit much but I’m probably a bit defensive too with being so heavily involved.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    North West Men’s hasn’t been one division in a long long time. It’s been 5 for quite some time, 5 years at least.

I agree there’s been a reduction in teams from 10 years ago perhaps. I don’t agree with the NCL standard not being as great. You’ve got more chance of NCL sides beating semi pro clubs than 10 years ago and there seems to be more talent being picked up from the NCL by semi pro clubs too. There’s much of a link between amateur and semi pro clubs now than when I first started playing Open Age 15 years ago and I think the coaching standards are better too.

As I say I agree there’s been an overall reduction in numbers from a good few years ago but in the last 2-3 years things have picked up significantly. “Disappeared” was definitely a bit much but I’m probably a bit defensive too with being so heavily involved.
    I've been involved with the amatuer game for 40 odd years I can't ever remember One Division in The North West Counties or The North West Mens League except when The NWC kept a Winter League going following the change to Summer. The decline in the
    Amateur Game started before the switch to Summer although it hasn't helped, the player commitment just isn't what it used to be.
    Last edited by daveh; 23rd December 2019 at 22:37.

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    I've been involved with the amatuer game for 40 odd years I can't ever remember One Division in The North West Counties or The North West Mens League except when The NWC kept a Winter League going following the change to Summer. The decline in the
    Amateur Game started before the switch to Summer although it hasn't helped the player commitment just isn't what it used to be.
    Yeah I don’t remember it being one league either.

Agree to a certain extent on the commitment thing. “It’s not like it used to be” and “these lot wouldn’t have last two minutes in my day” are sentences I hear a lot haha. However I do maintain that over the last few years it’s picked up a bit and the stats prove that; certainly in the NWML.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm convinced the main problem is kick off times. Personally Friday's are no good for me for various reasons, people with young kids don't want them out so late and younger people seem to prefer the pub. Not forgetting most teams bring less than 1000 fans and to be honest I can't really blame them. 15 years ago I followed Saints everywhere with a group of mates but if you ask me now if I'm going to Huddersfield on a Friday night in March I doubt I'd go if I had a free ticket but I'm fairly certain I would on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. People are busy and can't be arsed sitting on the M62 at gone midnight. I know nothing will change while we're Sky's bitch but I'm convinced playing at the weekend would improve attendances and ticket sales. Sky could still have a weekly Friday night game if it's so important to them. I'd like to see a TV schedule of Friday 19:30 ko, Saturday and Sunday 15:-17:00 ko.
    Couldn't agree more.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Geoggy View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    As far as I know, there has never been any sort of official sounding out of the fans between Friday night and Sunday afternoon options, certainly since we moved into the new stadium, just as a matter of interest the Saints website could arrange an online survey amongst Season Ticket holders, I know Saints would prefer night times for corporate guests, but they might change their minds if up to five hundred plus extra started coming on a Sunday afternoon, I suspect that the bar sales might increase too, together with away supporters. I would not think of going to an away game in Yorkshire on Friday night covered by Sky but a Sunday afternoon is different, I suspect many Yorkshire fans coming the opposite way also think the same these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    As far as I know, there has never been any sort of official sounding out of the fans between Friday night and Sunday afternoon options, certainly since we moved into the new stadium, just as a matter of interest the Saints website could arrange an online survey amongst Season Ticket holders, I know Saints would prefer night times for corporate guests, but they might change their minds if up to five hundred plus extra started coming on a Sunday afternoon, I suspect that the bar sales might increase too, together with away supporters. I would not think of going to an away game in Yorkshire on Friday night covered by Sky but a Sunday afternoon is different, I suspect many Yorkshire fans coming the opposite way also think the same these days.
    I’d have a mixture of Friday’s and Sunday’s. Don’t see why it has to be one or the other, have a combination throughout the year then everyone is happy like most teams.
    V

In The South Stand

I think that the Amateur game suffered greatly when factories and collieries were shut .

Starting A Programme Collection

I’d have a mixture of Friday’s and Sunday’s. Don’t see why it has to be one or the other, have a combination throughout the year then everyone is happy like most teams.
    I'd agree with that

The big problem is that, while it should be possible to get a fairly accurate picture of the preferences of existing Friday night attendees, it is more difficult to gather the views of those who currently don’t bother to go to matches. Equally, I know of several season ticket holders who would find it more problematic to go on Saturday afternoons because of other sporting commitments (eg playing or watching the likes of football, rugby union, cricket or golf) or family activities so it would be a gamble for Saints to assume that such losses to the existing, paying fan base would be more than offset by newcomers.

I think it just boils down to corporate income - selling a nice meal and a few drinks and a game of rugby is an easier sell on a Friday night than it is on a Sunday afternoon

Got A Season Ticket

I agree with what people have said about travelling on the M62 on a friday night unless you can set off early your pushing it to make kick off times most Friday's
    Cas have moved there games to Friday night this season from Sunday or almost all of them because of the anger it caused when Sunday games were switched at late notice to be on TV on a Thursday or Friday