Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rob Burrow

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Not often stuff gets to me but that did

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Very difficult to watch that, brings back memories of Mike Gregory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Very difficult to watch that, brings back memories of Mike Gregory.
    It does. I have to say that Burrow's diagnosis has had a much bigger impact on me. Sounds horrible to say but when it happened to Mike Gregory, I was 17/18, felt immortal back then & there wasnt such a social media prevalence/focus back then (2004 ish?). But it was truly terrible what happened to him. Now approaching mid 30s, you realise that certain things really can hit you hard and when you least expect it.

Having watched Burrow for a long time and I guess, being so influential in beating us in big games on more than a few occasions, it really does bring things into perspective and how Mike Gregory must have suffered, plus everyone else who has had or has this terrible illness

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The one player I always feared coming on at the back end of a game. You just knew he was going to duck under the tackles and cost us. Always came across as a decent and humble guy. Good luck Rob.

In The South Stand

Terrible news. I always enjoyed (except when he was doing it to us) the fact that such a small player could run rings round everyone else.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It does. I have to say that Burrow's diagnosis has had a much bigger impact on me. Sounds horrible to say but when it happened to Mike Gregory, I was 17/18, felt immortal back then & there wasnt such a social media prevalence/focus back then (2004 ish?). But it was truly terrible what happened to him. Now approaching mid 30s, you realise that certain things really can hit you hard and when you least expect it.

Having watched Burrow for a long time and I guess, being so influential in beating us in big games on more than a few occasions, it really does bring things into perspective and how Mike Gregory must have suffered, plus everyone else who has had or has this terrible illness
    Yeah I feel the same. His kids are are very young, can’t imagine how hard it must be for all his family. The interview was a horrible watch. It’s another reminder of how quickly things can change.

He was a special player, one of the most dangerous I’ve seen. I remember us playing Leeds a couple of years ago at home and I think his performance was the best I’ve seen against us at the new stadium, certainly in the top two. Every time he had the ball he made a break. He destroyed us a couple of times, straight away I’m thinking of the 2011 try in the final, the break he made in the semi-final at Warrington. Was a pleasure watching him play.

Best wishes Rob, all the best.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Just watched the BBC interview with Tanya Arnold, totally heartbreaking. Terrible news and feel so sorry for him. He's about my height and ran at men a foot taller with no fear. Bloody awful news.

Banned

I trust the Leeds club will do the right thing by Rob and support this terrific competitor and his family. Mike Gregory was sadly badly let down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Just watched the BBC interview with Tanya Arnold, totally heartbreaking. Terrible news and feel so sorry for him. He's about my height and ran at men a foot taller with no fear. Bloody awful news.
    Yes, just watched it a few minutes ago, very sad. I'm pretty sure he and is family will get a lot of sport from all of the rugby league community. A really nice guy on and off the pitch, little fella with a big heart.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/cha...nUrl=robburrow

A fundraising page has been set up for Rob & his family. The target has already been smashed which shows the support of the RL family but worth donating to support and hopefully raise more awareness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

For someone who did us a lot of damage, especially in some of the big games against Leeds, I always thought he was a top sportsman and a player who played well above his weight. I'm sorry to hear about this and can only wish Rob and his family all the best and good luck.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Devastating news for the lad and his family, I had a very good friend who suffered from this deadly disease it's horrible my heart bleeds for him .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Awful news. A great player and competitor. I wish him and his family good luck with the fight ahead.

https://twitter.com/bbclooknorth/sta...718472704?s=21

This is tough to watch but also inspiring in many ways. The fight inside him is there for all to see. Let’s hope he can battle against this as best he can.

In The South Stand

Hopefully with medical treatment he can have quite a long while yet and see the significant moments in his kids lives. It's time like this that rugby league comes together and as posted above the fundraising page has smashed the total set after just one day. He was a fearsome competitor on the field and despite being so small was tough as old boots,had some memorable games against us. Such an awful disease for all that have it and the families that have to go through it. Regarding Mike Gregory,most people of a certain age will always remember him going 70m against the Aussies. Then as he got worse there was a peice on the northwest new of his frail body hardly being able to move and him stuggling to speak and being helped by Joe Lydon.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Such sad news. Its a horrible disease.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

I don't know when Saints play Leeds but I am confident that Saints will have some kind of good collection or better.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Hopefully with medical treatment he can have quite a long while yet and see the significant moments in his kids lives. It's time like this that rugby league comes together and as posted above the fundraising page has smashed the total set after just one day. He was a fearsome competitor on the field and despite being so small was tough as old boots,had some memorable games against us. Such an awful disease for all that have it and the families that have to go through it. Regarding Mike Gregory,most people of a certain age will always remember him going 70m against the Aussies. Then as he got worse there was a peice on the northwest new of his frail body hardly being able to move and him stuggling to speak and being helped by Joe Lydon.
    I read today that only 10% of sufferers live beyond 5 years. Let’s hope he’s in that 10%, not that is his life is more important than anyone else with this illness of course.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Very sad news about a great player. Let's be honest, both Wigan and Saints would have loved to have him in their team.

Starting A Programme Collection

Only just read this dreadful news . God bless you Rob , my family and I are praying for you and yours . Be strong my friend .

I read today that only 10% of sufferers live beyond 5 years. Let’s hope he’s in that 10%, not that is his life is more important than anyone else with this illness of course.
    Yes, I fully agree.

He will give it all that he's got I'm sure of that.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I think the most important thing is that Rob can find some sort of closure and can be at peace with what is happening as soon as possible. Life is fricking cruel and a lot of bad things happen to good people and vice versa. He will tackle this with the same amount of bravery and determination as he has done throughout his career.

Think he might take some heart from Dodi Weir the ex Scotland forward who also has the same condition

The only solace that can be taken out of this is the knowledge that the Leeds Rhinos and the wider rugby league family will help as much as possible. The attention that this is attracting, along with the story of Doddie Weir, will hopefully see more money given towards research into the affliction leading to a better understanding of it and, hopefully, some form of future treatment.