Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saints 5/2 regular season winner

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Default Saints 5/2 regular season winner

I am puzzled as to why after winning by 16 points we are 5/2 to do it again. Other than Wigan who can challenge us? This seems a gift.

Banned

11/4 on Skybet with the boost. I'll have some of that. I'm not sure why W***n are the same price, I know they strengthened but their pack is still rubbish. I'd lump on us now incase Hastings doesn't end up playing for them.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

I would of thoughts we would be around evens. Skybet are a joke they will on take about £50 then thats it. Betfred shops are the best got in a few in the space of a day. I am lumping on

Banned

There's a few offering 3-1

Overall, the piescum are shorter odds.

Have we timewarped back to the 80's?

Banned

Default Saints 5/2 regular season winner

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I am puzzled as to why after winning by 16 points we are 5/2 to do it again. Other than Wigan who can challenge us? This seems a gift.
    I’m not sure even Wigan can to be honest. Where’s the basis for them being second favourites? Hastings?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Probably because we have not strengthened?
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

It's probably because we've just hired a completely unproven coach to replace the best coach the world has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's probably because we've just hired a completely unproven coach to replace the best coach the world has ever seen.
    True enough, but I think unless he’s a complete nightmare for player morale it’s hard to make a case for anyone making up 16 points

Starting A Programme Collection

I think we performed at about the best standard we could - amazingly consistent high quality - and the competition was poor and not that interested to be top of the league, probably counting on the fact that you can still win without being top of the league.

I'm not sure it will be so easy to win the shield this season - but i don't think that will be down to our new coach, he seems a good enough one to me - and will just need time to settle, find his feet with both the team and the competition in general. I can't see other teams performing as badly either - a lot were below par last season at once - and some have strengthened for this season

Looking forward to see what the season brings

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I think we performed at about the best standard we could - amazingly consistent high quality - and the competition was poor and not that interested to be top of the league, probably counting on the fact that you can still win without being top of the league.

I'm not sure it will be so easy to win the shield this season - but i don't think that will be down to our new coach, he seems a good enough one to me - and will just need time to settle, find his feet with both the team and the competition in general. I can't see other teams performing as badly either - a lot were below par last season at once - and some have strengthened for this season

I fully agree. We were at our best and I am not sure Taia will repeat that for another full season, but counter to that argument we have a lot of young lads with more experience this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I fully agree. We were at our best and I am not sure Taia will repeat that for another full season, but counter to that argument we have a lot of young lads with more experience this year.
    That's a good point Re Taia. Maybe he needs to be managed this year, same with Roby too. It will be interesting to see if Joe Batachelor can step up at 25, Callum Hazzard who's 20 and obvious Paulo and Bentley. I've also said previously I see Ashworth as a second row, whether Woolfe does is another matter.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post

Interestingly, didn't we make more errors than any other team, according to the stats - probably because we were more ambitious in our plays, had superb defence, and could score at will from anywhere in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Interestingly, didn't we make more errors than any other team
    I think we did by a fair margin

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think we did by a fair margin
    Which comprehensively puts to bed KC’s notion that mistake-free rugby was the way to go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Interestingly, didn't we make more errors than any other team, according to the stats - probably because we were more ambitious in our plays, had superb defence, and could score at will from anywhere in the field.
    Think that was down to Longy and the enormous of passing plays and attacking shapes and those risky last tackle options. Our scrambling defence and fitness negated the errors, we did have a pretty bad completion rate in the mid season for a short time but that was fixed up by the time we got to the play offs.

The club was in the bottom three for kicks in general play almost 50% less than the top 3 clubs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Think that was down to Longy and the enormous of passing plays and attacking shapes and those risky last tackle options. Our scrambling defence and fitness negated the errors, we did have a pretty bad completion rate in the mid season for a short time but that was fixed up by the time we got to the play offs.

The club was in the bottom three for kicks in general play almost 50% less than the top 3 clubs.
    Our kicking options last year were better than the year before without a real recognised kicker. In 2018 you knew were literally 95% of kicks would go, at least last season there was a bit of variety. To be fair we're far from the worst team in that respect. Some teams seem to try and bore the other team to death with their kicking game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Seeing the young lads coming through and fighting for places is what I am most excited about this season. I am hoping the Gaffer will give them their chance.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m fairly confident in saying that we’ve got the best 1-17 in the league, I don’t think the gap will be as big this season on paper looking at other teams but we’re the team to beat without question. I think the biggest challenge for us is that we’ve not signed any new players. There’s a season’s worth of footage there for other clubs to look at so how we’re able to adapt and improve with the same players after a brilliant season last year will be interesting.

That said, there’s plenty of potential improvement left in the players we do have. The likes of Percival, Grace and Fages in the backs, we’ve got a fairly young pack as well in terms of Lees, Ashworth, Knowles, Bentley etc, they’ve not even scratched the surface in terms of what they’re capable of yet.

The likes of Lomax, Thompson, Makinson, Walmsley, Roby etc are already world class.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

I think its not a bad price, i think we will regress, i dont think we will be able to maintain the run of last year, and other teams will be a bit better, i still think we will win the league, probably by between 6 and 10 points, we have a great squad but Woolf is an unknown as a club coach, he could be as good as Holbrook but we dont know yet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Being a top 5 play off format its always very important to get a good start, it may take 3 or 4 weeks for teams with quite a few new players, that might give us that advantage of being an unchanged squad we should be able to hit the straps straight away. We might be slightly handicapped with the world club challenge game but overall we do seem to have that mental toughness that was a bit iffy a few seasons ago.

As already mentioned I don't think we will run away with that enormous points gap, hopefully just get through into the top 2, we also have to factor in that we might not be as lucky as last season with minimal injuries, we still have squad depth though and not many teams are equipped in that department.