Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Best Hooker of the Decade?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keiron Cunningham

7 11.29%
  • James Roby

55 88.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Hooker

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He's not a good coach anymore.

Have we heard whether he's got a new contract yet? His last one ran out and I don't recall reading any news about him getting an extension - but there's been no talk that I can see of any other candidates being touted about. Wouldn't put it past the RFL to sign him up but, knowing he's about as popular with fans as a stale fart, are keeping it under wraps for now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Have we heard whether he's got a new contract yet? His last one ran out and I don't recall reading any news about him getting an extension - but there's been no talk that I can see of any other candidates being touted about. Wouldn't put it past the RFL to sign him up but, knowing he's about as popular with fans as a stale fart, are keeping it under wraps for now.
    That wouldn't surprise me either which really says a lot about them to be honest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think they said it would be discussed at the end of the year. Hopefully the prior comments from Rimmer (there will be no rejerk reactions to the tour) and Sinfield (We will look at results from his whole tenure, not just the tour) don't indicate we are keeping him.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What idiots voted for fat head?
    Me, theres a bronze statue of the man outside the stadium FFS. Somebody must have thought the same as me/us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    Me, theres a bronze statue of the man outside the stadium FFS. Somebody must have thought the same as me/us.
    You thought wrong.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    It’s a team of the decade so it’s from the 2010 season onwards.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It’s a team of the decade so it’s from the 2010 season onwards.
    Wow!, glad I didn’t comment on a really big issue like Boris Johnson thread.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    We could go on forever and a day about who is better out of the two..

However for this decade there's only one winner
    I would add to this by saying that I think James Roby has also been Saints player of the decade and think he would have a strong case to be considered SL player of the decade, if these categories were being voted on.

He may not have always been the best hooker every season(Clark, Houghton, Parcell have had some good years) but Roby's always been there or thereabouts. Mr Consistency.

Regards,

STEVO

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I would add to this by saying that I think James Roby has also been Saints player of the decade and think he would have a strong case to be considered SL player of the decade, if these categories were being voted on.

He may not have always been the best hooker every season(Clark, Houghton, Parcell have had some good years) but Roby's always been there or thereabouts. Mr Consistency.

Regards,

STEVO
    Strong case for Roby being SL player of this decade - for sheer consistent high quality. A world class player. I don't think anyone has performed at that high level over such a long period. O'Loughlin possibly could stake a claim for different reasons? Anyone else?

Roby can class himself very unlucky not to have won Man of Steel in this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Strong case for Roby being SL player of this decade - for sheer consistent high quality. A world class player. I don't think anyone has performed at that high level over such a long period. O'Loughlin possibly could stake a claim for different reasons? Anyone else?

Roby can class himself very unlucky not to have won Man of Steel in this decade.
    Definitely Roby, and with a decent voting system he would have had 3-4 MOS's.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post

The other name that comes to mind for me is Kevin Sinfield. He never won MOS I don't think, but was so instrumental in that golden generation for Leeds.

And just came across this https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...of-the-decade/

Personally I'd make a few changes and go...

McGillvary for Makinson- Both have been very good, but McGilvary just edges it for me.
    Taia for Ellis- I think Ellis was a brilliant player at his best, but that was at Leeds and West Tigers. Taia was a stand out at Catalan and has delivered for Saints.
    James Graham for Hill- Hill's been very good, but James Graham on a diffrent level even though it was just the 2 years of this decade.

Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

The other name that comes to mind for me is Kevin Sinfield. He never won MOS I don't think, but was so instrumental in that golden generation for Leeds.

McGillvary for Makinson- Both have been very good, but McGilvary just edges it for me.
    Taia for Ellis- I think Ellis was a brilliant player at his best, but that was at Leeds and West Tigers. Taia was a stand out at Catalan and has delivered for Saints.
    James Graham for Hill- Hill's been very good, but James Graham on a diffrent level even though it was just the 2 years of this decade.

Regards,

STEVO
    There are quite a few players on that list who have only been prominent in 50% of that decade. I would imagine Tomkins, Hall, Sinfield, Peacock, Roby and Bateman have kept that special standard over the majority of the 10 years.

Regards,

STEVO
    I think they have got it pretty much right, apart from Chris Hill. Though there may be a couple of players I am forgetting, the ones they have chosen were all very good. Can't agree about McGilvray over Makinson. Apart from a couple of decent tries in internationals McG has been pretty ordinary, in fact the last couple of seasons in SL he was pretty woeful.