Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Best props of the decade?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Graham

47 71.21%
  • LMS

1 1.52%
  • Alex Walmsley

42 63.64%
  • Mose Masoe

2 3.03%
  • Kyle Amor

1 1.52%
  • Luke Thompso

38 57.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Props

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Redvee Team of the Decade: Props

The next category to choose from is arguably the toughest category yet, the props, which requires two votes from the six options I've selected for you. Difficult to narrow down but I've tried to pick our best six. Some players very unlucky to miss out.

Please consider their performances from 2010 onwards.

The six selections are:

James Graham (Two seasons 2010 - 2012)
    LMS (Nine seasons 2011 - current)
    Alex Walmsley (Seven seasons 2013 - current)
    Mose Masoe (Two seasons 2014 - 2016)
    Kyle Amor (Six seasons 2014 - current)
    Luke Thompson (Seven seasons 2013 - current)
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

A bit less depressing this one. Especially when Jammer doesn't make the cut. It's got to be Walmesly and Thommo.

Banned

Jammer n walmsley for me. Jammer best prop for saints ive seen

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    A bit less depressing this one. Especially when Jammer doesn't make the cut. It's got to be Walmesly and Thommo.
    I have to go with Same, but only because of the time period. For me Jammer was the best but 2 years V 7?

In The South Stand

I don’t know whether I’m playing this game right but I’ve taken into account good years service for the team throughout the decade. Jammer was not only a great Saints prop but a superstar in the NRL and a stand out international player. I doubt whether anyone could question his talent but, nevertheless, I have gone for Walmsley and Thompson because of their undoubted ability and passion throughout much of the decade.

Amor has played his part but I doubt that he’d compare himself to Jammer, Walmsley and Thompson. Mose made me smile a lot and LMS is in a different league for doing that. I never even think of LMS as a prop.

Thommo and Alex by a country mile.

You can’t compare 2 seasons with 7 seasons plus 3 LLS and two grand final wins.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

James Graham is the best prop I’ve ever seen play for Saints and carried our team/pack through a rough spell in his last years.

He’s up there with Peacock as the best I’ve seen in Super League.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    James Graham is the best prop I’ve ever seen play for Saints and carried our team/pack through a rough spell in his last years.

He’s up there with Peacock as the best I’ve seen in Super League.
    Thats fair. In his last years the pack was becoming more of an issue; Graham was a clear leader and you get the feeling he helped us over achieve at times. This is a hard poll.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I've gone for Graham + Walmsley because of the experience of Jammer and that season from Alex who took on the opposition pack on his own. Could have easily have been Thommo but he has only been prominent over the last 2 seasons if the poll was done after season 2020 then probably he would be in that top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I've gone for Graham + Walmsley because of the experience of Jammer and that season from Alex who took on the opposition pack on his own. Could have easily have been Thommo but he has only been prominent over the last 2 seasons if the poll was done after season 2020 then probably he would be in that top 2.
    Agreed

Learning All The Songs

Graham & Thommo

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Really really tough one between Graham, Walmsley and Thompson. All of them on the list have had good careers with us.
    Graham as has been said before arguably the best prop to play in the redvee but the 2 years probably rules him out.
    LMS really improved under Holbrook and became a vital interchange player for us.
    Walmsley carried our pack for a few years and came back just as good as before his neck injury.
    Mose I really liked. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he never went missing in the big games and we were never
    bullied by Wigan or Warrington when he played, added that extra toughness.
    Amor did well in his first season with us and this year he's been good also.
    Thompson carried the pack for us when Walmsley got injured and continued that from this year as well. Still only 24!!!!

Starting A Programme Collection

(Thankfully) the toughest selection yet - we've been significantly more blessed in the position than in the backs. I wouldn't be disappointed with any of Graham, Walmsley and Thompson in the front row - any combination is immense!

I've (rightly or wrongly) taken into account here who I believe was the best player in this position over the decade - and whilst not playing for Saints for the majority of it - I picked Graham as that. How he played at Saints over his many years and then since then the status he received in the NRL over this decade - he would be tough to exclude in an all time Saints XIII and one of the best props to have played the game.

Tough to pick between Walmsley and Thompson for the next. I wish i could have picked both. In the end I decided on Walmsley because of standout performances over a longer period - whereas Thompson after storming onto the scene as a youngester, had a plateau for a few years before really coming into his own when Walmsley was out - and has been massive for us since... Now that I can't take it back, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with Thompson?! Such a tough choice! Could have easily chosen Thompson and Walmsley or Thompson and Graham too.

Even though I ended on Graham and Walmsley... if Thommo carries on as he has - he could become the best of the lot - and in such esteemed company, that's saying something!

Apart from the next of these polls coming up which could be the pinnacle (expecting 100% plus! ) - prop has been a real strength for us in this decade.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    James Graham is the best prop IÂ’ve ever seen play for Saints and carried our team/pack through a rough spell in his last years.

HeÂ’s up there with Peacock as the best IÂ’ve seen in Super League.
    James Graham definitely has to be in there. He may have only played for St Helens for 2 seasons during this decade, but I don't think that matters for the reasons you've outlined. He was in the SL Dream Team for both those years. He's then gone on to have a brilliant career in the NRL and was famously described by Andrew Johns as a halfback in a prop forwards body, because he's a brilliant ball player, as well as everything else.

If there was a SL team of the decade being voted on, it would be Graham and Peacock who would be my pick.

I'd go with Thompson as Graham's partner in this Saints team and have Walmsley on the interchange to provide that impact that he is known for. I do think there should be an interchange selected too, because the bench is a huge part of the modern game.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Graham and Walmsley for me, think the contrast between those two would have been immense.

As Reliable Source says, I remember Graham breaking his back for the club in his last couple of years but particularly his final season when we were really struggling. That team should never really have made a GF and in reality, had it not been for injuries in the backs we’d have won that one. He must have played 70 minutes every week, I remember times when he looked flogged out but he just kept going. He was named in the dream team as a prop but he was a prop, a half back, a captain and seemed to do everything that year. He’s obviously been gone a while now but the club should be proud that they were able to develop, IMO, one of the best players the country has produced.

Walmsley alongside him because he’s consistently been one of the best props in the league since he signed. His form has never really dipped too much even when we’ve not been going so well as a team. Every year he seems to improve and given how serious his injury was, it says a lot about him and his character that he was as dominant as he was last season.

Thompson is unlucky but just couldn’t leave Graham or Walmsley out. You could make a case for all three though. Three very different players but all exceptional in their own right.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

When you look at the minor contenders in Masoe, Amor and LMS you could say Cunningham set them back with all this plodding "grind" stuff which reduced their effectiveness, it was criminal how he used Masoe quite a few matches only making a 10 min appearance an a few instances when we were defending, in attack we would overuse him as a decoy. Amor was really restricted to the grind and any skills he had was eradicated with this type of game. LMS almost became a utility player in the pack with the occasional game at centre, much better player now and creates momentum with urgency.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Graham and Walmsley for me. Thompson just edged out but his time will come.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Graham and Walmsley for me.

Graham is one of my top 5 favourite Saints players of all time. Although it's great to see him become so revered around the world as one of the best ever, selfishly I really wish he'd stayed with us. We would have achieved so much more with him in the team during the past 8 years.