Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Best Scrum Half of the Decade?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kyle Eastmond

3 4.35%
  • Luke Walsh

31 44.93%
  • Matty Smith

1 1.45%
  • Danny Richardson

0 0%
  • Theo Fages

34 49.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Scrum Half

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Tricky one. Walsh never quite hit the heights consistently but was a more natural halfback than Théo, yet Théo has played a significant part in a title winning team
    Don’t forget Walsh played a significant part in a title winning team too.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Theo. Too many misty eyes on here about Walsh. He was too inconsistent, could go awol in big games and was a bit too soft in my opinion. All these factors were on display throughout his career. Not the best poll, but indicative of the UK game.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Theo. Too many misty eyes on here about Walsh. He was too inconsistent, could go awol in big games and was a bit too soft in my opinion. All these factors were on display throughout his career. Not the best poll, but indicative of the UK game.
    I don't think these comments about Luke Walsh are fair at all.

Walsh's first official game for Saints (the Warrington game) was the most flawless debut performance I've seen and he was a class above anything that the club had following Sean Long in this position. Even when he came back from the horrific injury he suffered (I think his first game back was against Leeds) he still demonstrated the foot work, passing and kicking ability beyond what anyone else at the club could offer. He was relied upon too much to carry the attack in my opinion, without a half back partner to compliment his game and outside backs lacking in speed and strike. That injury did impact on his ability and/or his confidence to use it, but in my opinion he was still a better half back or scrum half than Theo Fages has been during this era. I include Walsh's spell at Catalan in this too, compared to what Theo has done at Saints.

Just some comments on Kyle Eastmond as well... think he was a huge loss for Saints and also the national side(s). All have been crying out for a half who can bust tackles and threaten the line with explosive speed and that was what he offered in spades. Think he would've been more effective than Lomax because of this. I wonder how he reflects on his career choices now? He was good enough to be a half in the NRL I feel.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I don't think these comments about Luke Walsh are fair at all.

Walsh's first official game for Saints (the Warrington game) was the most flawless debut performance I've seen and he was a class above anything that the club had following Sean Long in this position. Even when he came back from the horrific injury he suffered (I think his first game back was against Leeds) he still demonstrated the foot work, passing and kicking ability beyond what anyone else at the club could offer. He was relied upon too much to carry the attack in my opinion, without a half back partner to compliment his game and outside backs lacking in speed and strike. That injury did impact on his ability and/or his confidence to use it, but in my opinion he was still a better half back or scrum half than Theo Fages has been during this era. I include Walsh's spell at Catalan in this too, compared to what Theo has done at Saints.

Just some comments on Kyle Eastmond as well... think he was a huge loss for Saints and also the national side(s). All have been crying out for a half who can bust tackles and threaten the line with explosive speed and that was what he offered in spades. Think he would've been more effective than Lomax because of this. I wonder how he reflects on his career choices now? He was good enough to be a half in the NRL I feel.

Regards,

STEVO
    You're a patronising bore up there with that idiot RG.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Poll ends on this one tomorrow for anybody that hasn't voted yet.

Really close between Fages and Walsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste