Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Best Centres of the Decade?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Gidley

45 61.64%
  • Michael Shenton

5 6.85%
  • Jordn Turner

3 4.11%
  • Josh Jones

2 2.74%
  • Mark Percival

68 93.15%
  • Kevin Naiqama

19 26.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Centres

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Just for fairness.... Where is Ryan Morgan?
    He was last seen in London.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Shenton could have been excellent for us but played in a side that barely got the ball out wide and was also played on the wrong side. Gidley was excellent in his first couple of seasons but by the 2010 season he was well past it. I think the Jordan Turner we signed would have been fantastic in the current side or even the late noughties side but the style and coaching ruined him and he was bulked up to the point he ended up playing 13. Still 2nd choice for me behind Percival ahead of a bad bunch.
    Turner was ok going forward when fit but his defence was rubbish either way.

In The South Stand

From that list it’s clearly Gidley and Percival then daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    From that list it’s clearly Gidley and Percival then daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got to agree. Even though Gidley was coming to the end, he was still miles better than any other on the list bar Percival.

Looking at team of the decade so far, and thinking about the next couple of positions, the lack of quality other than one or two standouts for wing and centre shows why we have won so little.

Perhaps when we get to the forwards it will be more competitive.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post

Looking at team of the decade so far, and thinking about the next couple of positions, the lack of quality other than one or two standouts for wing and centre shows why we have won so little.

Agreed - overall I think we have lacked some quality compared to the previous decade - but this is more apparent in the backs / half backs... in the forwards I do think we'll see another story - we've had some cracking players especially in the front row, which is probably our strongest area.

The team of the decade is one of the strongest out of season threads we've had - nice twist on similar off season ideas

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Got to agree. Even though Gidley was coming to the end, he was still miles better than any other on the list bar Percival.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    This is a point I've made too. I think in this decade, Leeds & Wigan both won 4 grand finals each. Why? They simply had better players, especially in the backs as you say. They had more strike. This is why I went for Barba at Full back- Paul Wellens (of this era) wasn't a match for Sam Tomkins or Zak Hardaker. Barba was a match for anybody. And Makinson & Grace have been as good as if not better, than any other wingers in the competition over the Holbrook era. As have Percival and Naiqama at centre. This is a big part of why Saints fortunes have improved.

A point I will specifically make on the centres, is that whilst Percival is the clear choice for best centre of the decade for Saints, its Michael Shenton for mine who's been the best centre on the list during this time. He was poorly managed at Saints. I also thought Jordan Turner could've been a great centre for Saints, yet he played a lot of games at 6 because of the lack of speed in the halves and even at loose forward, I recall.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    This is a point I've made too. I think in this decade, Leeds & Wigan both won 4 grand finals each. Why? They simply had better players, especially in the backs as you say. They had more strike. This is why I went for Barba at Full back- Paul Wellens (of this era) wasn't a match for Sam Tomkins or Zak Hardaker. Barba was a match for anybody. And Makinson & Grace have been as good as if not better, than any other wingers in the competition over the Holbrook era. As have Percival and Naiqama at centre. This is a big part of why Saints fortunes have improved.

A point I will specifically make on the centres, is that whilst Percival is the clear choice for best centre of the decade for Saints, its Michael Shenton for mine who's been the best centre on the list during this time. He was poorly managed at Saints. I also thought Jordan Turner could've been a great centre for Saints, yet he played a lot of games at 6 because of the lack of speed in the halves and even at loose forward, I recall.

Regards,

STEVO
    I think many on here will agree that Shenton was class left centre that we persisted in playing on the right. A lose, lose situation for club and player.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think many on here will agree that Shenton was class left centre that we persisted in playing on the right. A lose, lose situation for club and player.
    Shenton was a real missed opportunity for us. Sadly, he wasn’t the only player who wasn’t allowed to reach his full potential because of coaching mistakes. Stiddy has given valid examples on the stand off thread of players being played out of position or not used to their full potential.