Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wellens

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Default Paul Wellens

Shaun Wane has today confirmed the appointment of Paul Wellens and Andy Last as his England RL assistants

Great for wello's development and nice to see Wane taking him under his wing.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/04/1...nd-assistants/

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Great news indeed. Commitment second to none has Wello.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Great news indeed. Commitment second to none has Wello.
    He seems to be patient enough and willing to learning his trade without rushing in when it comes to coaching ... Dare I say it, a future Saints coach down the line?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    He seems to be patient enough and willing to learning his trade without rushing in when it comes to coaching ... Dare I say it, a future Saints coach down the line?
    Funnily enough he was interviewed about it recently saying just that...
    https://www.totalrl.com/wellens-outl...s-his-ambition

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Funnily enough he was interviewed about it recently saying just that...
    https://www.totalrl.com/wellens-outl...s-his-ambition
    Interesting isn't it. I heard a rumour he might have been off to learn from a friend in sunnier places for a spell. An ideal pathway could be NRL as an assistant to learn -> Championship as Head Coach -> Saints Head Coach.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Without a shadow of a doubt.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Starting A Programme Collection

Def a future St. Helens coach. Couldn’t get any better, he bleeds re and white.... well done Paul ...

Noooobie

Definitely a future head coach. Seems to be going about it the right way with England involvement for some years, working with different coaches and from speaking on Jon Wilkin’s podcast ages back, has the drive and intelligence to succeed in this role.

Got a feeling though he could be head coach sooner than people anticipate. Tbh I can’t see Woolf staying here beyond this season (if and when we get back to it) and it could be harder to recruit coaches as well as players for the foreseeable.

Learning All The Songs

Lets hope if he gets the Saints job somewhere down the line, he is better than KC

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I'd say the trouble with being a head coach at a SL club, is that it's a relatively short lived role. We don't ever appear to have the dynasty and legacy of one man in charge over seeing the development of the club, with re-build after re-build after re-build. It's usually a 2-3 year project, then move on.
    Given that Wellens has spent his entire career here, by throwing his hat into the ring for the head coach role, he would realise that givan a few years he would be probably out of the club. It would be great if he bucked the trend and managed to create his own legacy and keep the job for as long as he wanted it, however the evidence from all other clubs is that is unlikely to happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Interesting isn't it. I heard a rumour he might have been off to learn from a friend in sunnier places for a spell. An ideal pathway could be NRL as an assistant to learn -> Championship as Head Coach -> Saints Head Coach.
    That’s exactly what needs to happen, he needs to go somewhere else to broaden his development that’ll he’ll rely on down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I may be wrong but I'm assuming you mean JH in OZ. Just a question for people. He has already spent time under JH, would he be better served going and working with a different coach or developing himself alongside JH's whilst he himself develops?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I may be wrong but I'm assuming you mean JH in OZ. Just a question for people. He has already spent time under JH, would he be better served going and working with a different coach or developing himself alongside JH's whilst he himself develops?
    I think going to the NRL could be good for him if he chose to do that. I think there’s better clubs and environments playing wise than the Gold Coast though, it’ll be another long year for them if they don’t improve on their first two games. They’ve got very different ambitions than Saints have in their competition.

I imagine that he’ll need to leave at some point and be a Head Coach somewhere but it sounds like he’s trying to learn as much as he can out of the firing line so to speak before that happens which is probably a wise move.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

I may be wrong but I don't see him going to the NRL, he has a very close knit family and seems very much a home bird. Just my take on things and I wish him all the best whatever he does. Top player and a nice bloke who I think will do well as a coach.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It wasn't specified. It wasn't anyone I know, just the Amazon delivery driver, saw my Saints hoodie and got chatting. He was a Wigan fan but said he'd been watching Preston Grasshoppers as it was better and closer to him. I lost interest at that point, but he went on about Longy when he was there and what he was getting up to. He seemed to know a few of them on a personal level rather than being a massive fan of the sport.

I'm not sure on the Holbrook thing. There would be a different setup I'd imagine in the NRL than in a Super League setup. He'd also get a different experience there in seeing how Justin developed the squad and brought players through into a struggling side. Possibly as much benefit seeing that as there is going to a top team with world class players?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't see him going to the NRL, he has a very close knit family and seems very much a home bird. Just my take on things and I wish him all the best whatever he does. Top player and a nice bloke who I think will do well as a coach.
    I do wonder if this might be a limiting factor as far as Paul goes. While top managers/coaches in a lot of sports can sometimes pick and choose where they go, to a degree, relative youngsters can’t. It’s not a great career plan to only want to coach local clubs to home while there may be a missed opportunity further afield. A young coach can’t get too much exposure to best practise & new ideas and to in effect self limit any opportunity to do so is naive. Of course Paul may see no issue in travelling and working away as we’re speculating on his behalf but so far in his whole career he’s lived on the doorstep of ‘work’ as far as I know. The next few years will be important in his career as a coach cum manager, it’ll be interesting to see how he plays it and how hungry he is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    I do wonder if this might be a limiting factor as far as Paul goes. While top managers/coaches in a lot of sports can sometimes pick and choose where they go, to a degree, relative youngsters can’t. It’s not a great career plan to only want to coach local clubs to home while there may be a missed opportunity further afield. A young coach can’t get too much exposure to best practise & new ideas and to in effect self limit any opportunity to do so is naive. Of course Paul may see no issue in travelling and working away as we’re speculating on his behalf but so far in his whole career he’s lived on the doorstep of ‘work’ as far as I know. The next few years will be important in his career as a coach cum manager, it’ll be interesting to see how he plays it and how hungry he is.

I don't pretend to know him well although do know to talk to so just calling it as I see it. That said, he's a grounded lad and seems to have a good brain on his shoulders. I'd take a guess that he's learnt from the Cunningham experience too. It's just conjecture at this point anyway and I'm glad he's at Saints.

Banned

I don't pretend to know him well although do know to talk to so just calling it as I see it. That said, he's a grounded lad and seems to have a good brain on his shoulders. I'd take a guess that he's learnt from the Cunningham experience too. It's just conjecture at this point anyway and I'm glad he's at Saints.
    Absolutely, we can only speculate and yes it suits everyone as it stands that he’s here.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

If he picks the good parts of his time under Millward, Anderson and assisting Holgate then there is no reason why he couldn't be a great coach, having said that looking at football Brian Kidd has had unbelievable success as an Assistant Manager under the most successful managers yet can't transfer it to the Manager position. I hope Wello does make a great success of coaching hopefully at Saints.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    If he picks the good parts of his time under Millward, Anderson and assisting Holgate then there is no reason why he couldn't be a great coach, having said that looking at football Brian Kidd has had unbelievable success as an Assistant Manager under the most successful managers yet can't transfer it to the Manager position. I hope Wello does make a great success of coaching hopefully at Saints.
    As I said, who knows at this point? It's just my opinion of the guy. I think he's done very well up to now as an intermediary between players and coaching staff, however, since Long left he's seems to have took a bit more responsibility, probably just natural progression as is him being one of Wane's assistants.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Thats what I can't understand about Cunningham he had the luxury of learning under Millward, Anderson and Brown but didn't inherit the best bits of them.

For me if Woolf only survives the short term, I would give the Head Coach job to Sean Long, both Millward + Anderson reckoned he would over time make a great coach. He would certainly bring back our attacking style and if he could make Wellens his main assistant looking at our defensive structure.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats what I can't understand about Cunningham he had the luxury of learning under Millward, Anderson and Brown but didn't inherit the best bits of them.

For me if Woolf only survives the short term, I would give the Head Coach job to Sean Long, both Millward + Anderson reckoned he would over time make a great coach. He would certainly bring back our attacking style and if he could make Wellens his main assistant looking at our defensive structure.
    I wouldn't be opposed to that, but didn't Longy leave because he was told he wouldn't be considered as head coach. Maybe if Woolf fails the board may change their stance.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Not wishing to look too far down the line, but I doubt there is anyone in the game who would be backed more by us as coach than Wellens. Probably my favourite player in the 30 plus years or so I've followed us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Not wishing to look too far down the line, but I doubt there is anyone in the game who would be backed more by us as coach than Wellens. Probably my favourite player in the 30 plus years or so I've followed us.
    We'd have probably said the same thing about Cunningham though and look how that turned out.

Banned

We'd have probably said the same thing about Cunningham though and look how that turned out.
    Sentiment aside I reckon there’s a few SL clubs that should be out of reach as an initial appointment for first team coach. We’re one of them. It’s simply too risky as a first appointment when you consider the range of demands placed on an individual with no previous experience at the top in what can be a very lonely place. Coaching, tactics, research, media, fans relationships, community, squad balance, signings, dismissals, time mgt, stress mgt, leadership, counselling.....................a lot to consider at any club let alone a top club.