Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Our best wingers of the decade?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ade Gardner

31 38.75%
  • Francis Meli

7 8.75%
  • Tommy Makinson

79 98.75%
  • Jamie Foster

1 1.25%
  • Adam Swift

6 7.50%
  • Regan Grace

21 26.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Wingers

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Redvee Team of the Decade: Wingers

The next poll is the wing spots, in which you will have to select two options.

We've not used many wingers over the last decade due to the positions being held down by a long period of time by a few players, so I've tried to select the best six options that we have had during the decade.

- Ade Gardner (2010 - 2014)
    - Francis Meli (2010 - 2013)
    - Jamie Foster (2010 - 2012)
    - Tommy Makinson (2011 - )
    - Adam Swift (2012 - 2019)
    - Regan Grace (2017 - )

Ade Gardner did have a couple of loan spells away from the club in his final years before eventually retiring at the end of 2014 and Meli did play Centre for a period but he played his best games for us on the wing which is why I've included him in this poll.

If you could please consider their performances from 2010 onwards when deciding who to vote for.

The poll will close in 7 days time.
    Last edited by Blobbynator; 25th November 2019 at 11:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Makinson picks itself really..

I've gone with swift, his try record alone gets him in. Wouldn't argue with meli, he still scored 50 odd tries in the period.. similarly Grace is getting there

Learning All The Songs

Makinson is an obvious one, hes been the best winger of the decade, the other one could be a difficult one, Meli and Gardners best days came in the previous decade so i didnt consider them, Foster didnt play enough and was replaced by better wingers. So it comes down to Swift and Grace, i did a bit of a dive in to their records, Grace has scored 51 tries in 90 games a record of better than 1 in 2, Swift scored 86 tries in 130 games a record of 2 in 3, on the basis of Swift having the better record per game i went with him.

In The South Stand

Makinson without any doubt.

The other was far more difficult. I’ve gone for Gardner. I could of gone for any of them.

Tommy totally stands out in the game. His commitment and work ethic is second to none. I’d have picked him for his tries in the 2014 GF and at Holbrook’s first game against Hull at Magic alone but the work he gets through in the average game is phenomenal.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Makinson is an obvious one, hes been the best winger of the decade, the other one could be a difficult one, Meli and Gardners best days came in the previous decade so i didnt consider them, Foster didnt play enough and was replaced by better wingers. So it comes down to Swift and Grace, i did a bit of a dive in to their records, Grace has scored 51 tries in 90 games a record of better than 1 in 2, Swift scored 86 tries in 130 games a record of 2 in 3, on the basis of Swift having the better record per game i went with him.
    I’ve made the rookie error of not considering playing dates carefully haven’t I?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Makinson the obvious one who has got better over the years and now in his Prime, gone for Gardner for his temperament on and off the pitch I use to work in Cumbria for about 17 years and use to see Gardner in Barrow and he was always getting a load of stick from adopted Leeds, Bradford and Wigan fans but he stuck up for Saints. I remember in doing so he picked up an eye injury but carried on playing after an incident in the Continental Bar in Barrow Town centre in which a snooker ball was thrown into his face.

Didn't go for Swift or Meli because they were very much error prone in their career, Grace is still a work in progress with reading the game to create options and opportunities.

In The South Stand

Tommy as people have said is a no brainer. Had to think about the others,but going on the basis of the dates alone i have gone for Swift as the other winger. I liked Ade,the way he returned the ball was fearless. Meli had a great scoring record but that will always be overlooked due to errors in the grand finals,both players however were at their best pre 2010.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Makinson without any doubt.

The other was far more difficult. I’ve gone for Gardner. I could of gone for any of them.

Tommy totally stands out in the game. His commitment and work ethic is second to none. I’d have picked him for his tries in the 2014 GF and at Holbrook’s first game against Hull at Magic alone but the work he gets through in the average game is phenomenal.

Agree. Makinson and Gardner.
    I can't forgive Meli for his habitual game turning mistakes in the biggest games of the season - i.e GF's vs Leeds.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Makinson no contest, Ade for the effort he put into scoring some of his tries, and the vital timing and game changing nature of some of them.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 25th November 2019 at 13:58.

Tommy and Regan for me.

Tommy for his sheer consistency, comeback after a horrible injury recapturing his previous form and spectacular tries.

Regan for his flair and ability to change direction on a sixpence.......

Between the two of them they’ve been a huge part of the entertainment Saints have provided over the last two and a half years.

Plus THAT song.......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Makinson and Grace for me. Second one is very close but just for sheer pace it’s Regan. I think Gardner improved once he took the ball in hard but he had a lot of weaknesses like Meli did

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Only 1 place up for discussion really. I've gone for Meli. Yes, he made the odd mistake, but I think the bigger mistake was his under utilisation, Give him the ball one and one and more than likely he would score. Something I think we never did frequently enough.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

What about Jack Owens?

Banned

Jamie Foster was a wasted talent - but typical of that era (Foster, Wheeler, Gaskell, etc). That round-the-back catch when the pass was behind him still makes me smile.

Got A Replica Shirt

Tommy Makinson and Gardner for me

Learning All The Songs

Makinson and Matty Dawson for me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Jamie Foster was a wasted talent - but typical of that era (Foster, Wheeler, Gaskell, etc). That round-the-back catch when the pass was behind him still makes me smile.
    I thought we had really uncovered a good one with that catch, plus his goalkicking.

Banned

I went with tommy and ade. Ade really was one of my top wingers as he ran the ball harder than any other winger we have had. He used to hit the line like a prop from a kick return

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Tommy and Regan for me.

Tommy for his sheer consistency, comeback after a horrible injury recapturing his previous form and spectacular tries.

Regan for his flair and ability to change direction on a sixpence.......

Between the two of them they’ve been a huge part of the entertainment Saints have provided over the last two and a half years.
    Think this is a really important point and is pertinent too, when the time comes to discuss the centres and the halves.

With the exception of the last couple of years, there's been some pretty tough times for Saints fans in this decade. Some have mentioned players such as Jack Owens and Matty Dawson in jest and whilst they performed their roles in the team with commitment and professionalism, it's fair to say they didn't fit the bill in terms of this entertainment and ultimately offer enough to wrestle back the silverware from Leeds and Wigan.

I also think on the wings (and in the centres and second row to come) it should be a choice between those that play on the same side of the field- so for me it's Makinson on the right and Grace on the left. And on Grace particularly, I've picked narrowly over Swift just for the extra speed, flair and that very impressive debut, in which he demonstrated why the fans had wanted him to be given a chance in the first team.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Makinson picks itself really..

I've gone with swift, his try record alone gets him in. Wouldn't argue with meli, he still scored 50 odd tries in the period.. similarly Grace is getting there
    My thoughts exactly. Swift's contribution over the given period is more than Grace although he will surpass him no doubt, and Gardner's best was in the 2000's.
    I've gone for Swift over Meli as Meli was more prone to brain farts and cost us more tries than Swift.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    I went with tommy and ade. Ade really was one of my top wingers as he ran the ball harder than any other winger we have had. He used to hit the line like a prop from a kick return
    I really liked Gardner but for me, my main gripe with him was that he didn't really make the most of his size. Yes, he ran hard, but he wasn't as destructive or impose himself as much as you might expect.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Gardner is another one who I consider did more in the 2000s, in the 4 years he played 60 of his 289 games, scoring 35 of his 173 tries for the club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I really liked Gardner but for me, my main gripe with him was that he didn't really make the most of his size. Yes, he ran hard, but he wasn't as destructive or impose himself as much as you might expect.
    He had real pace when he first broke into the first team, but he became seemingly reluctant to take opposition players on when in a little bit of space, especially on the outside, instead coming inside and taking the tackle. It was probably as instructed/coached, but it was bloody frustrating to see at times.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I think the problem is that he had 3 very good centres who created space for him and he didn't really get into full stride, we,ve seen him break away from deep and looked impressive in space but the defensive cover always seemed to see that danger. His brother Matt was much bigger and really did use his size, think he got a gig at Huddersfield Giants and Salford for a couple of spells.

In The South Stand

It's a shame so many on here are joke voting. How on earth could Adam Swift be one of the best wingers we've had this decade? Foster, Swift and Meli all getting votes is a tad odd.