Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Our best wingers of the decade?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ade Gardner

31 38.75%
  • Francis Meli

7 8.75%
  • Tommy Makinson

79 98.75%
  • Jamie Foster

1 1.25%
  • Adam Swift

6 7.50%
  • Regan Grace

21 26.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Wingers

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's a shame so many on here are joke voting. How on earth could Adam Swift be one of the best wingers we've had this decade? Foster, Swift and Meli all getting votes is a tad odd.
    Swifts record is arguably the best of the lot, 86 tries in 130 is a record of 2 tries every 3 games, he may not have been the best winger but certainly should be in the conversation for the second spot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

How on earth could Adam Swift be one of the best wingers we've had this decade? Foster, Swift and Meli all getting votes is a tad odd.
    We've not had many wingers in the last decade when I researched the squads. Swift and Makinson had been our 1st choice wingers for a while until Grace broke into the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

It's a shame so many on here are joke voting. How on earth could Adam Swift be one of the best wingers we've had this decade? Foster, Swift and Meli all getting votes is a tad odd.
    Who should people vote for then ? We haven't had that many wingers this decade to choose from

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Who should people vote for then ? We haven't had that many wingers this decade to choose from
    I’m looking forward to hooker

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

It's something to do in the off-season. My votes will be split between the 2014 and 2019 team as they are our most successful. Makinson is a no brainer but players like Meli may have had a better career in the redvee compared to players like Grace and Swift but Swift was apart of a GF winning side and so was Grace. Meli won nothing in from 2010 onwards, so they both get my vote before him or Gardner. It's also why Coote gets my vote ahead of Wellens even though Wellens for me was a far better fullback

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m looking forward to hooker
    Tommy Lee, Stuart Howorth its a hard choice... If only there was a third player to choose from to make it that bit easier

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    It's something to do in the off-season. My votes will be split between the 2014 and 2019 team as they are our most successful. Makinson is a no brainer but players like Meli may have had a better career in the redvee compared to players like Grace and Swift but Swift was apart of a GF winning side and so was Grace. Meli won nothing in from 2010 onwards, so they both get my vote before him or Gardner. It's also why Coote gets my vote ahead of Wellens even though Wellens for me was a far better fullback
    But what about the part Wellens played in the 2014 Grand Final?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    But what about the part Wellens played in the 2014 Grand Final?
    Wellens was right in front of us when he put the kick in for TM's try. I'll never forget the little nod he gave to Tommy, then Tommy running for the posts to collect the perfect kick. That contribution on it's own would have got him my vote. Looking back now, I don't know if that was a planned move or just great understanding between two players? Any thoughts?

In The South Stand

Oh i agree it's stuff for the off season and it's a fun thing to do.

Oh i agree it's stuff for the off season and it's a fun thing to do.
    Definitely one of the better off season threads.

Makinson played full back in the GF and a good job he did too. Wellens wouldn't have caught Farrell after he made that break just after we scored. However Wellens was absolutely massive for us that night. Lead from the front, first in when Flower KO'd Hohaia and the cross kick he put on for Makinson's try was world class and inch perfect, right under the crossbar, if that was Long or Sinfield who did that on a GF night it would have been talked about a lot more. That play doesn't get the recognition it deserves, from Makinson calling it to Wellens putting it up on a plate.

....That play doesn't get the recognition it deserves, from Makinson calling it to Wellens putting it up on a plate.
    I’m not disagreeing with the main point of your post but I find it interesting how people recall or interpret events. In my eyes, it was Wellens who called the move with Makinson initially moving to the right of the pitch before being told by Wellens to move inside and chase the upcoming kick.

You're right, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with the main point of your post but I find it interesting how people recall or interpret events. In my eyes, it was Wellens who called the move with Makinson initially moving to the right of the pitch before being told by Wellens to move inside and chase the upcoming kick.
    It definitely was. In my earlier post I mentioned the nod PW gave to Tommy to go inside.

Yup, I had another look. I hadn't seen the match in such a long time. Again IMO a completely underrated piece of vision and skill by Wellens.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Makinson is an obvious one, hes been the best winger of the decade, the other one could be a difficult one, Meli and Gardners best days came in the previous decade so i didnt consider them, Foster didnt play enough and was replaced by better wingers. So it comes down to Swift and Grace, i did a bit of a dive in to their records, Grace has scored 51 tries in 90 games a record of better than 1 in 2, Swift scored 86 tries in 130 games a record of 2 in 3, on the basis of Swift having the better record per game i went with him.
    I’ll go with that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Clear front runner for the best winger of the decade... while the race for second is close, with Regan chasing to catch up with Ade

Learning All The Songs

My memories of Meli are far too tarnished by enormous brain farts in big games.

In The South Stand

Somebody hasn’t voted for Makinson!