Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Who is our best full back of the decade?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul Wellens

70 83.33%
  • Ben Barba

7 8.33%
  • Lachlan Coote

7 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Full backs

Wellens without hesitation. A top player.

I also like the way he looks kind of awkward in a tracksuit

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Wellens without hesitation. A top player.

I also like the way he looks kind of awkward in a tracksuit
    Wellen's for the heart and soul he put into every game ……………. Frankie Barrow for entertainment though

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Wellen's for the heart and soul he put into every game ……………. Frankie Barrow for entertainment though
    Glad you mention Frank the Tank. No pace about him but rock solid at the back and when bringing the ball out of defence the first player he met would end up on his backside. As well as those already mentioned we should not overlook the contributions made by Kel Coslett and Phil Veivers.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Wellens got my vote, misty eyed sentimentalism I'm afraid.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Gone for Barba.. Wellens did more without any questions. His better work was in the 2000s though

Barba in his short time was absolutely electric
    I agree.

Paul Wellens was a tremendous player and if the question was who do you think has been the best full back of the SL era, then my answer would be Paul Wellens without a doubt. And that's for Super League as a whole, not just for St Helens. For his longevity, consistency and he was as safe as anyone I've ever seen under the high ball. But whilst Wellens was in the dream team in 2010, as others have said I think Wellens' best form was in the years preceding this decade. And the question being asked is who's been the best full back from 2010 onwards.

I also think in this decade the role of a full back has changed and providing strike is the most important thing- that means tries, assists and tackle busts. Billy Slater epitomized this and now we see Tedesco and RTS following that same path. Great runners of the ball who threaten the line.

Barba was brilliant in 2018 and think he's been the best we've seen on these shores during this time. Sam Tomkins and Zak Hardaker had a couple great years during this period, but I don't think either can match Barba's stats. I'm not sure if anyone can compare? Stiddy is normally very good with the stats on here.

Coote was very good for St Helens this year, but again I don't think his stats compare.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I agree.

Paul Wellens was a tremendous player and if the question was who do you think has been the best full back of the SL era, then my answer would be Paul Wellens without a doubt. And that's for Super League as a whole, not just for St Helens. For his longevity, consistency and he was as safe as anyone I've ever seen under the high ball. But whilst Wellens was in the dream team in 2010, as others have said I think Wellens' best form was in the years preceding this decade. And the question being asked is who's been the best full back from 2010 onwards.

I also think in this decade the role of a full back has changed and providing strike is the most important thing- that means tries, assists and tackle busts. Billy Slater epitomized this and now we see Tedesco and RTS following that same path. Great runners of the ball who threaten the line.

Barba was brilliant in 2018 and think he's been the best we've seen on these shores during this time. Sam Tomkins and Zak Hardaker had a couple great years during this period, but I don't think either can match Barba's stats. I'm not sure if anyone can compare? Stiddy is normally very good with the stats on here.

Coote was very good for St Helens this year, but again I don't think his stats compare.

Regards,

STEVO
    Can you honestly say that Barba was the best? Most talented player? Yes. Brilliant for part of a season? Yes. But best? No. He let us down and played poorly for the tail end and important part of the season. He wasn’t the best for us. He let Holbrook, the Club, the fans and ultimately himself down and I can’t, therefore, accept he was the best fullback. The greatest potential but in the end a damp squib.

I have fond memories from when he was at his best. He woke us up and brought us to our feet and I hope he can salvage something from the wreckage but he wasn’t the best. There’s more to that than ability and flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Can you honestly say that Barba was the best? Most talented player? Yes. Brilliant for part of a season? Yes. But best? No. He let us down and played poorly for the tail end and important part of the season. He wasn’t the best for us. He let Holbrook, the Club, the fans and ultimately himself down and I can’t, therefore, accept he was the best fullback. The greatest potential but in the end a damp squib.

I have fond memories from when he was at his best. He woke us up and brought us to our feet and I hope he can salvage something from the wreckage but he wasn’t the best. There’s more to that than ability and flair.

Good post.

Barba was a brilliant individual.

He was anonymous in our hour of need in 2018 and departed With his MOS trophy.

Wello was there when we needed him in 2014 and took the SL trophy......

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Barba was one of the worse Saints full backs for temperament, older supporters might remember "Tricky Trindall" almost an identical character off the pitch as well as on it. After those fantastic first 15 games from Barba I started to observe him intensely when that form started to erode, his link ups with our half backs started to detoriate and that put more pressure on Richardson to develop his game an experienced Lomax could handle it but not Richardson.

I thought Holbrook was very indecisive in what to do with the situation and started to play the niggly injury card and he will return to form card when in reality he should have been dropped and quite a lot of supporters was highlighting that fact. But the worse for me was his AWOL defence when his head turned to OZ, he was a disgrace at times and lost a lot of respect for being a non team player during that latter period.

Default Redvee Team of the Decade: Full backs

Reading through this thread has got me thinking about the way we define 'talent'. Like most I'd instinctively say Barba was far more talented than Wellens but not a better player. But I wonder why we class pace, footwork and power as talent, but not rugby intelligence, relentless consistency and winning mentality. Those latter qualities are just as rare, and Wellens had them in absolute bucketloads.
    Last edited by Dux; 23rd November 2019 at 20:19.

Learning All The Songs

Barba was unbelievable for half a season, but his head was turned back to the NRL after about 12 games, he downed tools at times in 2018, something unforgivable in my eyes, if you play for a club, you give your all for that season. Wellens and Coote are far better in my eyes, both gave their all for the team, i would rather have someone less talented who gives it their all for their teammates, than a talented lazy get.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

we love you Wellens, you are my number 1 says it all.
    Barba for half a season only trails behind Coote for me.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Barba was one of the worse Saints full backs for temperament, older supporters might remember "Tricky Trindall" almost an identical character off the pitch as well as on it. After those fantastic first 15 games from Barba I started to observe him intensely when that form started to erode, his link ups with our half backs started to detoriate and that put more pressure on Richardson to develop his game an experienced Lomax could handle it but not Richardson.

I thought Holbrook was very indecisive in what to do with the situation and started to play the niggly injury card and he will return to form card when in reality he should have been dropped and quite a lot of supporters was highlighting that fact. But the worse for me was his AWOL defence when his head turned to OZ, he was a disgrace at times and lost a lot of respect for being a non team player during that latter period.
    He could have been a legend of a player, but in his latter stages became an apology for one

I think longevity and consistency have to come into it otherwise you could make a case for many players based on a relatively small number of performances

Learning All The Songs

Wellens, you need a last line of defence at fullback and no-one was better. Geoff Pimblett a close second!

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Wellens, you need a last line of defence at fullback and no-one was better. Geoff Pimblett a close second!
    Veivers was very similar to Wellens and Pimblett excellent under the high ball and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time for both defence and attack.

Banned

I went with Wellens - but if Coote had done another season like the one we've just had from him, then I'd have picked him over 2010-2014 Wellens.

Barba remains the most exciting player I've seen in SL, and he largely did that over a dozen and half games. But his form-fizzle and increasingly turnstyle defence knocks marks off.

Tried to think what season where we had the situation of playing 4 or 5 different players at Full Back and no one came up to scratch.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Was it when Lomax and Makinson both did their ligaments? I think Lomax, Makinson, McDonnell, Owens, Hohaia and even Percival played there that season. (2015?)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Was it when Lomax and Makinson both did their ligaments? I think Lomax, Makinson, McDonnell, Owens, Hohaia and even Percival played there that season. (2015?)
    Good shout, I think it may well be 2015., I definitely remember McDonnell, Owens, Makinson and Hohaia. It's possible Quinlan came on board in mid season as well. Wellens lost his No 1 jersey played half back and loose forward with that hip injury and got a lot of fans critique.
    '

Starting A Programme Collection

Certainly a lot played full back around that time. Didn't Owens join in 2016?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Certainly a lot played full back around that time. Didn't Owens join in 2016?
    Yeah I think so. It was the year when Lomax and McDonnell missed the start of the season with injuries. Makinson missed a lot of the season as well with his ACL.

We seemed to struggle for a regular full back before Barba came in really. I think the best decision Holbrook made was moving Lomax to 6 and bringing Barba in. I remember at the time there was a bit of debate about who should play where but I think a lot of our success was based around that change. It’s such a shame it finished how it did with Barba because some of his performances early on were as good as I’ve seen over here.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 27th November 2019 at 18:26.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah I think so. It was the year when Lomax and McDonnell missed the start of the season with injuries. Makinson missed a lot of the season as well with his ACL.

We seemed to struggle for a regular full back before Barba came in really. I think the best decision Holbrook made was moving Lomax to 6 and bringing Barba in. I remember at the time there was a bit of debate about who should play where but I think a lot of our success was based around that change. It’s such a shame it finished how it did with Barba because some of his performances early on were as good as I’ve seen over here.
    I think what separates the outstanding from the truly world class is the ability and desire to perform at that level all the time. Barba went missing when it mattered most and a lot of fans will remember him for that. What is sometimes underestimated though is the part Barba played in getting the fans back behind the team and the feel good factor into the club. Yes an awful lot of credit goes to Holbrook but the signing of Barba and subsequent attacking style of play was a huge factor. It’s a shame really as if Barba could have kept up his top levels until the end of a season and maybe a 2nd he’d have gone down in Saints lore on a par with Lyon in my opinion.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Gone for Barba.. Wellens did more without any questions. His better work was in the 2000s though

Barba in his short time was absolutely electric
    This.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

I'm guessing Lomax is going to be in the Stand Off poll, but I'd also say there's a case for him being the best FB in the 10's

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm guessing Lomax is going to be in the Stand Off poll, but I'd also say there's a case for him being the best FB in the 10's
    Correct.

The worry by including players in two positions is that we'd have them in the team twice, which is why I've tried to pick them in their best positions or fitted them in somewhere as an option due to their contribution over the last decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste