Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Who is our best full back of the decade?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul Wellens

70 83.33%
  • Ben Barba

7 8.33%
  • Lachlan Coote

7 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redvee Team of the Decade: Full backs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Redvee Team of the Decade: Full backs

As the decade is coming to an end, I thought it would be a good idea in the off season for Redvee users to vote for their Saints team of the decade.

I will be creating a series of polls over the next few weeks for you to discuss and vote for who you feel has been the best player(s) in their respective positions at Saints to eventually form the best Saints team. I will try to limit each vote to the best 4 or 5 in each position, unless its wing, centre, prop or 2nd row as there are two slots to fill, so they will contain more options for you to select.

Depending on how the votes go, I may create a best 17 but initially it will be aimed to get the best team of 13 players. Some players have played in a few positions during the last decade, but I will place them in where they have played at their best (e.g. Lomax will be included in the Stand off voting rather than full back). This will ensure a player is not picked twice. The best coach of the decade will also voted for aswell, although I get the feeling it could be a landslide.

The 1st position to discuss is Full Back, in which you have three options to pick from:

- Paul Wellens (2010 - 2015)
    - Ben Barba (2017-2018)
    - Lachlan Coote (2019-)

I've not included Jonny Lomax in this poll, hence why there is a gap between Wellens and Barba and we didn't have any other full backs during this period so not many options but three excellent options.

You will have a week to vote for who you wish to vote for. The wingers will be added in a few days time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Gone for Barba.. Wellens did more without any questions. His better work was in the 2000s though

Barba in his short time was absolutely electric

Starting A Programme Collection

Can't overlook Wellens - despite his best years for Saints being in the previous decade.

Barba was an amazing talent and had some exceptional performances in a Saints shirt - but fell off towards the end of his main season and didn't sustain that exceptional level to fulfil his huge potential consistently enough when it mattered most.

Coote could yet become a Saints legend of the future. He's a remarkable full back and had a fantastic debut season. Only one year to show in this decade though. I'm just hoping he secures his status for the remainder of his contract.

In The South Stand

I’ve voted for Wellens who is one of the best full backs I’ve seen. In terms of standings in the poll I feel sorry for Coote who served us so well last season and I was tempted to vote for him. I know he must know how we feel about him. He only needs to hear his song ringing out to know.

Barba was a delight to watch when at his best but he let himself, the club and the fans down. I’ve got to take that into account. In addition, he wasn’t always the best defensively and I still think that’s important.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Wellens without doubt for me. Not only one of the best FB's I have seen, but one of Saints greats.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I would go

Wellens
    Coote
    Barba

Don't get me wrong for 50% of the season Barba was untouchable in attack, but top players are ones who can impose themselves on a game when it is going wrong.

Barba had weaknesses in defence and under the high ball that Wellens and Coote do not have. He also struggled with the high ball.

So Wellens ahead for me, but only just and another season from Coote could push him past Wello.
    But also they are at different stages of their career.

Banned

Wellens by a distance.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Barba made us fun to watch again.
    Coote is a fantastic asset to the side. Long may he continue!

...But Paul Wellens gets my vote.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

It’s a tough one. Wellens had played his best rugby prior to the timeframe IMO. He still contributed a hell of a lot with his leadership and his effort though and he was very good towards the back end of the Grand Final winning year.

Think I’m going to go with Coote. Thought he was fantastic for us last year and played really well in the Grand Final win as well. Just think for a player to come over from Australia and be given the field kicking and goal kicking responsibilities on top of playing full back, and to handle it as well as he did, was a top effort. Lesser players and characters wouldn’t have fancied taking on all that responsibility but he really stood up and was a big difference last year.

Barba was untouchable for half a season but thought some of his defence towards the back end of the year was poor. Coote on the other hand arguably had two of his best games towards the end of the year.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For a consistent all round game I would go for Coote, unfortunately Wellens was past his prime in his last 5 years and Barba only lasted 15 games as a world class attacking full back.
    I
    I like to see a full back who is great in defence so that would be Wellens-Coote-Barba in that order, if we also said who was our full back in the Superleague era that would be Mr St Helens a legend in many eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Gone for Barba.. Wellens did more without any questions. His better work was in the 2000s though

Barba in his short time was absolutely electric

Wellens for me, overall but also based on 2014 when he played through the pain barrier to drag us to and through the GF and raised the SL trophy (also being the first one into Ben Flower..... Get in!)
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

I think Barba and Coote are more talented players but there’s more to it than that. For longevity and leadership I think Wellens. If you asked again in 2-3 years it might be Coote. Barba had 10-15 games where he was unplayable and the best pure talent I’ve seen, but after that he just showed a lack of respect and was playing simply to avoid injury before his move back to Oz. I still remember one tackle attempt that demonstrated that perfectly. I’d never seen a professional player pull out of a tackle until then

In The South Stand

Wellens for me. He may not have had the silky skills of Barba, but he read the game tremendously well. he was loyal, passionate and a great leader and organiser. Barba had a natural talent and flair but few of the other qualities Wellens possessed. The jury is still out on Coote. A fine FB, but would have to perform to a high standard for a number of years to eclipse Wellens for me.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Yeah if we’re voting on their full careers and we’re considering longevity etc then Wellens is definitely my choice. I based my earlier post on all their performances since 2010.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think it depends on what exactly we’re voting on. If it’s over their full careers then I fully agree with this, Wellens is comfortably the choice. If it’s Wellens from 2010 - 2015 then that’s another question I guess.
    It may be rose coloured specs in action but I thought he served us well in the latter part of his career. Admittedly his value was largely in defence and being an on field leader. He really put his body on the line to the point that he could hardly move during what I think was his last game at Wigan.

I’m glad that you’ve gone for Coote though. He deserves recognition for what he’s achieved so far and I hope he has more left in him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I based my earlier post on all their performances since 2010.
    People will base their opinions on different things but this point is pretty key. It is a team of the decade so performances should really be based on what they did from 2010 onwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Paul wellens - no ones comes close

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Paul wellens - no ones comes close
    Completely agree. Wellens was brilliant. He ticked absolutely every box. Could tackle, take high balls, score tries, create tries, read the game, helped the forwards out, all heart, bled St.helens. No other fullback comes close.

I once saw an interview where Darren Lockyer said that Wello was the best player over here.
    The only area Wellens was lacking was speed. He wasn’t a slouch but he didn’t have that electric pace. He made up for his lack of speed thinking faster than most other players though!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Replica Shirt

Wellens for me

Got A Season Ticket

Wellens, even taking into account the argument that these were not his best years for Saints (which is, in any case debatable, depending on the criteria one chooses to prioritise).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Completely agree. Wellens was brilliant. He ticked absolutely every box. Could tackle, take high balls, score tries, create tries, read the game, helped the forwards out, all heart, bled St.helens. No other fullback comes close.

I once saw an interview where Darren Lockyer said that Wello was the best player over here.
    The only area Wellens was lacking was speed. He wasn’t a slouch but he didn’t have that electric pace. He made up for his lack of speed thinking faster than most other players though!
    Spot on, even towards the end he could still play a bit. And it's a big complement to Coote that he's a similar player. It also shows up the current trends of Full backs being either half backs or wingers.

Banned

My grandad never stoped talking to me and his other grandson about dougie greenhall, my dad never stopped telling me about mal meninga .... ill never stop telling my kids and grandkids about paul wellens. I simply regard him as the greatest player i have ever seen play the sport
    Last edited by itswide2west; 22nd November 2019 at 20:31.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Wellens without doubt

Best Saints full back I've seen in the 50 years I have been watching them, although Pimblett runs him close

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Yeah if we’re voting on their full careers and we’re considering longevity etc then Wellens is definitely my choice. I based my earlier post on all their performances since 2010.
    That's a good point Tez. I hadn't really considered the 'last decade' thing. It's difficult (for me anyway!) to think back and filter out the stuff before 2010.
    I think I'd still go for PW though. He just had that extra something, maybe it was just passion?...That he brought onto the field with him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    My grandad never stoped talking to me and his other grandson about dougie greenhall, my dad never stopped telling me about mall menings .... ill never stop telling my kids and grandkids about paul wellens. I simply regard him as the greatest player i have ever seen play the sport
    I go back to your Grandad's day and PW would still be my FB since that time.