Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Strength

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default Full Strength

Not really sure which thread was best for this so I thought I’d create a new one. Looks like the club are confident of having a clean bill of health for round 1:

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...on-matty-lees/

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/11/2...or-new-season/

If they are all fit and available I think you can probably confidently pick 15 straight away and then 2 more from:

Amor
    Ashworth
    Bentley
    Paulo
    Smith

Good to have competition for places right from the start.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Given how Amor played last season i think you can say there may well only be 1 spot up for grabs

In The South Stand

Ashworth should be a regular in the 17 as well. Not sure how they fit Smith in, which presumably they'll need to do. Maybe Amor will become the new Douglas next season?

I have a feeling one of Bentley or Smith will be in the 17 more often than not in order to reduce Roby’s minutes. That’s not based on anything I’ve been told, just a feeling really.

If that was the case then for the opener I’d go:

Smith
    Lees
    LMS
    Amor

Bentley, Paulo and Ashworth not bad back ups in round 1!

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Ashworth should be a regular in the 17 as well. Not sure how they fit Smith in, which presumably they'll need to do. Maybe Amor will become the new Douglas next season?
    I don’t think Ashworth played well last season and is quite lucky to get the no.17 jersey.
    There’s obviously potential there, we’ve seen it, but he didn’t perform consistently enough last season, improvement needed.

Ashworth was an enigma last season. Played LF at the end.

Clear now that LMS was playing for a testimonal hence engineering the last 2yr deal.

Amor has lined up a PE course at Hope. At 33ish ? he is coming to the end.

Ashworth has more to offer long term. Needs to pull his finger out.
    However Asworth (with offloads) and Lees (Hockesque ) offer the the perfect foil for
    Thompson and Warmsley.

Down to Ashworth to do the business in pre-season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    He started off OK at the beginning of the season then there were a lot of games in the mid season were he played a bit "flat" and didn't offer much with carries and metres, tackle busts and offloads. I think once we got to the final couple of games before the play offs he picked up his game, he's still a work in progress and it will be interesting to see how our new coach will develop his game.

For me Amor offers more to the team I don't think he was dominated last season as previous years and has now got that offloading game which gets us very quickly into that added attacking phase, I reckon its Amor who could possibly be in the regular 17 if he repeats his performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Ashworth was an enigma last season. Played LF at the end.

Clear now that LMS was playing for a testimonal hence engineering the last 2yr deal.

Amor has lined up a PE course at Hope. At 33ish ? he is coming to the end.

Ashworth has more to offer long term. Needs to pull his finger out.
    However Asworth (with offloads) and Lees (Hockesque ) offer the the perfect foil for
    Thompson and Warmsley.

Down to Ashworth to do the business in pre-season.
    Harsh on LMS. He’s been consistently good for a few years now. Offers real impact off the bench and plays an important role.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Harsh on LMS. He’s been consistently good for a few years now. Offers real impact off the bench and plays an important role.
    Not really really a dig as such.

That said out of the ten years (other than the ones with a contract renewal due) ,
    how many were great/good ones?

Both LMS and Amor are gone after next season. That's the point.

That said out of the ten years (other than the ones with a contract renewal due) ,

Both LMS and Amor are gone next season. That's the point.
    He has only had 3 poor seasons in his 9 years so far, for a couple of seasons he wasn't everyones cup of tea because of his showboating but for me he is a character and great for everyone at the club.

Who knows how the new coach will see things. We’ve all got our ideas but that’s based on how the team played under Holbrook

Taia getting on a bit too so that’s 3 senior forwards who will need replacing in the next 12 months or so.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

LMS has been a great player for the club, very underrated for the majority of it.
    No doubt there’s still some out there who’ll talk about his numerous errors and cheap penalties but they haven’t been in his game for years. Talk of him only playing well when he is out of contract is cheap for me.

In The South Stand

Tell you what the disrespect shown to my boy Louie is disgraceful! He is a bone fide St Helens legend! He should get a statue outside Buckingham Palace. Seriously you lot, take yourselves outside, give yourself a slap and be better.

Ashworth for me will make the shirt his own next season, I have faith in him. Matty Lees will need to be reintegrated carefully to get him back fighting fit and confident again and I'm sure Ashworth will take advantage. When Lees returns, it'll be Kyle, or whoever is tired or injured that week making way for him not Jack. Bentley won't be good enough, but useful as depth for a season or two. Batchelor will be reserve fodder. The club should be lobbying to get the bench extended to 6 next season. It really makes no sense having only four subs. Have 6 but the same number of interchanges. Let impact players have some impact, it will open the game up a bit again.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    LMS has been a great player for the club, very underrated for the majority of it.
    No doubt there’s still some out there who’ll talk about his numerous errors and cheap penalties but they haven’t been in his game for years. Talk of him only playing well when he is out of contract is cheap for me.
    Agreed. He had a couple of lacklustre years but otherwise has been a good player for us.

Learning All The Songs

Hoping Josh Eaves gets a run at hooker at some point, he's 22 now so if he's going to make it at the top level he probably needs a decent opportunity this year. Still not convinced about Smith personally

Banned

I'm hoping Woolf recognises how well Holbrook's limited rotation policy worked for us last year, and implements something similar.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

This season I think we will need 20 players who are fit and available for selection and crucially on form. Other teams have strengthened and we will not be so far ahead. Robes needs to be rested 1 in 4 games while LMS and Zeb likewise will need to be spelled. We will get injuries and need players who come in to be fit. Reserves will help keep players match fit.
    Learned comment from The Don

Noooobie

Default amor

I think you must have Missed quite a few matches if you say Amor had a Good season, verry average player If he was that Good he would played more minutes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by owl saint View Post
    I think you must have Missed quite a few matches if you say Amor had a Good season, verry average player If he was that Good he would played more minutes.
    I think thats a bit unfair, he performed the role was selected to do, he was the third prop on the bench, behind Lees and LMS, when you have 2 starting props who do good shifts, Thompson especially, your third bench prop is not going to get big minutes, look at what happened after Lees got injured, Amor got more minutes. He earned the right to be in the 17 and performed admirably enough in the role he was selected to do.

Default Full Strength

Amor was very good this year. He’s not an explosive player like Thompson or Walmsley but he upped his game and kept us solid while those two were off the pitch. He looked like he’d been left for dead by Ashworth and Lees this time last year but this year he clearly outperformed Ashworth and was on a par with Lees.

Learning All The Songs

Gary Wheeler is being offered around Superleague clubs from Toronto what's his chances?

Learning All The Songs

Has he played much for Toronto does anyone know, or has he still been strugling with injuries?
    Injury wise I cant see it being worth it for anyone?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Has he played much for Toronto does anyone know, or has he still been strugling with injuries?
    Injury wise I cant see it being worth it for anyone?
    He's had his usual injury lay offs,seen him a few times in Costa with Daryl Clarke and in that time he's had a leg brace,knee brace,crutches and a few other bandages and slings.

I saw around 25 matches and you could probably count on one hand the no of times when he was worse than Ashworth or Lees. The problem with Amor is that he is not visually dynamic as most of our other props but gets through a shed load of steady forward play, he fills in a lot of the defensive gaps which very much gets un noticed at times.