Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Is anybody in Wigan on Saturday morning?

Got A Season Ticket

Default Is anybody in Wigan on Saturday morning?

If anybody is in Wigan on Saturday morning (23rd November), call into the WH Smith store. I will be in there from 10.30 signing copies of my latest novel "Three Good Years". This has a background of work, family life, saving the NHS and Rugby League and is set between 2006 and 2008 in my local fictional town of Ashurst.
    The main characters are the draughtsman Alan Greenall and his Welsh wife the orphan Thelma who are both keen Saints fans.
    Just a pity I can't do a book signing in St Helens now though. In the past there was WH Smith and Wardleworths where I have done book signings before. Sadly they are no longer there and there appears to be nowhere else suitable.

Among the chapter titles are
    The Jehovah's Widnes
    Minnie Cotton versus Dewsbury
    Lord Beeching has been beaten before (Shaw Street in 1962, anyone remember)
    Telling Stevo about Uno's Dabs
    The Church of the Everyday Saints
    "The Dream"
    "Your mother grew up in Tiger Bay"
    The lady from Sint-Jans-Molenbeek
    He's in St Helens Hospital
    CID are now involved

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    If anybody is in Wigan on Saturday morning (23rd November), call into the WH Smith store. I will be in there from 10.30 signing copies of my latest novel "Three Good Years". This has a background of work, family life, saving the NHS and Rugby League and is set between 2006 and 2008 in my local fictional town of Ashurst.
    The main characters are the draughtsman Alan Greenall and his Welsh wife the orphan Thelma who are both keen Saints fans.
    Just a pity I can't do a book signing in St Helens now though. In the past there was WH Smith and Wardleworths where I have done book signings before. Sadly they are no longer there and there appears to be nowhere else suitable.

Among the chapter titles are
    The Jehovah's Widnes
    Minnie Cotton versus Dewsbury
    Lord Beeching has been beaten before (Shaw Street in 1962, anyone remember)
    Telling Stevo about Uno's Dabs
    The Church of the Everyday Saints
    "The Dream"
    "Your mother grew up in Tiger Bay"
    The lady from Sint-Jans-Molenbeek
    He's in St Helens Hospital
    CID are now involved
    Can I buy it online? It sounds a decent read.

Got A Season Ticket

Good luck with this, Glee. I will be buying/ordering a copy via my local bookshop.

Got A Season Ticket

Three Good Years along with One Winter, One Autumn and Two Seasons are all available on line from my publisher London League Publications. Visit them at www.llpshop.co.uk. Go to Books and then click on Fiction. Also there you will find a large number of other rugby league books, player biographies and club histories and four with Saints links.
    Three Good Years is also on sale in the club shop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    Three Good Years along with One Winter, One Autumn and Two Seasons are all available on line from my publisher London League Publications. Visit them at www.llpshop.co.uk. Go to Books and then click on Fiction. Also there you will find a large number of other rugby league books, player biographies and club histories and four with Saints links.
    Three Good Years is also on sale in the club shop.
    Cheers, best of luck with the book.

Banned

Is anybody in Wigan on Saturday morning?

Not unless I'm kidnapped

Got A Season Ticket

Glee, would I be right in thinking you once worked as a draughtsman at BICC in Prescot? I'm sure I read One Winter many moons ago and there was a reference to this?

Got A Season Ticket

I was a draughtsman in the Accessories Division at BICC until 1965. My first novel was called One Winter, set during the 1962/63 winter with many story lines based on things that happened when I was there.
    Since then I have gone on to write One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn, Two Seasons and most recently Three Good Years. (half a million words no less) and with four of my books available from my publisher London League Publications. Visit their web site at www.llpshop.co.uk Click on books and then fiction.
    I wonder if you once worked there, Les. Maybe I know you. Maybe I based one of my many characters on you. Who knows. Send me an E mail to wgeofflee@gmail.com
    The last time I was in the Saints club shop they had copies of Three Good Years on sale there as well.

Banned

The two I have read I really enjoyed. Nice light interesting cultural journey for all people from the north.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Nothing to do with your books but it has to do with BICC. It was an away game at Fartown around 1990/91, when my son and I along with a lifelong Saint Thatto Heather Joe Cunningham arrived at the ground early. At the pitch side Keith Macklin was interviewing Alex Murphy for BSB (the pre Sky broadcaster of RL) after he had finished Alex walked away and Joe shouted Keith over he said to Keith Macklin "I remember your dad working at BICC and he got something in his eye so he was taken to the nurse. She examined his eye and said I am going to put some cotton wool and an eye patch over it, Keith's Dad then said you'd better get someone to wheel my bike home my other eye is a glass eye"

Keith Macklin was laughing at the story which was true.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.