Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Reserve team for next season

Banned

Default Reserve team for next season

Our first 17 pretty much picks itself when everyone is fit but who will play in the reserves?

1.Welsby
    2. Rizzelli?
    3. Costello
    4. Simm
    5. Sambou?
    7. Dodd
    9. Eaves
    11. Batchelor
    12. Hazzard
    13. Paulo

14. Siyani?

Anyone any ideas?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I believe some clubs are using amateur players and other players on part time deals to fill the reserves, not sure if Saints are doing that or similar. Those who aren’t in the first team for round 1 will drop down as well.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Noooobie

Will destroy amateur clubs open age sides if clubs start dipping them to pad a reserves out. I really hope we dont go down this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Our first 17 pretty much picks itself when everyone is fit but who will play in the reserves?

1.Welsby
    2. Rizzelli?
    3. Costello
    4. Simm
    5. Sambou?
    7. Dodd
    9. Eaves
    11. Batchelor
    12. Hazzard
    13. Paulo

14. Siyani?

Anyone any ideas?

I would imagine Bentley, Smith etc depending on who does/doesn’t make the 17 each week

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I would imagine Bentley, Smith etc depending on who does/doesn’t make the 17 each week
    Yeah, I was just thinking one or the other will probably be in the first team most weeks plus we have their positions covered. I've no issue with the top local amateur players playing, we might find someone who slipped through the net.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

How about players recovering from injury etc? Obviously this will depend on what happens as the season progresses.
    I'm guessing (hoping) Matty Lees would be eased back through this route.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    How about players recovering from injury etc? Obviously this will depend on what happens as the season progresses.
    I'm guessing (hoping) Matty Lees would be eased back through this route.
    Quite possibly regarding Lees. Lomax and Makinson may play on the weeks we play on plastic pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Yeah, I was just thinking one or the other will probably be in the first team most weeks plus we have their positions covered. I've no issue with the top local amateur players playing, we might find someone who slipped through the net.
    I agree re the amateur thing. You just never know, it could be the making of a lad who has come into the game late or improved a lot since their teens

In The South Stand

It was a regular thing in years gone by .

Learning All The Songs

Probably a few A.N.Others

Noooobie

Surely it will be made up of the Academy lads, some of whom may be kept on the playing staff a little longer to develop, than they would without the reserves?

Learning All The Songs

Academy drops to 18 this year doesn't it? So reserves should be mostly what would have been the final years plus those who don't make the first 17, recovering from injury etc. Maybe need to find another half a dozen or so players from somewhere but unlikely to destroy the local amateur game

Got A Season Ticket

I think Dodd and Sambou will start in the under 18’s

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I believe some clubs are using amateur players and other players on part time deals to fill the reserves, not sure if Saints are doing that or similar. Those who aren’t in the first team for round 1 will drop down as well.
    Not sure about Saints but I think the intention of some other clubs is to send players not in the first team out on duel-reg to play at championship level rather than reserve level and a lot of the reserve side will be made up of players who don't get picked for the first team with whoever your in duel -reg with

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
    I think Dodd and Sambou will start in the under 18’s
    I wonder if the club are looking at fast tracking Dodd to cover for Fages and Lomax injury scenarios which would mean reserve grade matches, maybe he is in similar progress to Welsby last season and the age factor is not a major concern.

Probably a lot of Saints fans will like to see what he can offer in the first team and his inclusion in the squad is part of that progression.

Sam Freeman released from widnes. winger is one position with nobody coming through or come through recently.

Down to Makinson and Grace wtih Naiqama as cover , now that Swift has gone.

Can't tie first teamer salary for a 3rd/4th choice winger

A 12 month deal wouldn't hurt given he is out on his ear at widnes.

I thought this was the raison d'etre of reserves rather than cherry picking from Thatto Heath etc.

Learning All The Songs

Not sure if people have already seen this but we've signed eight players for the reserves. Think there are a few being given a 'second chance' at making a career out of the sport which is a good thing I guess. No impact on the local amateur scene either.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/11/2...team-for-2020/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Not sure about Saints but I think the intention of some other clubs is to send players not in the first team out on duel-reg to play at championship level rather than reserve level and a lot of the reserve side will be made up of players who don't get picked for the first team with whoever your in duel -reg with

If true, then they're being short-sighted and daft.

The reserves is best used to both keep fringe players match-fit, and act as a stepping stone and/or 'proving ground' for younger players coming through. Young players develop both physically and mentally at different rates, with some being up to the rigours of SL at 18/19, whilst others only mature enough as players into their 20's. By having the reserves, it allows clubs to retain still-developing players until they're either ready, or it's been concluded that they don't have quite what it takes to make that final step-up.

Aspects of the above, of course, can be got from the dual-reg system. But the major plus of having the reserves is that these players are kept in-house, with a consistency of training and monitoring. Look at the piescum - they just seem to have a production-line of players who are SL-ready in terms of following their gameplan. I know the piescum have a more rigid playing style than we do, but the principle is the same - have a certain uniformity of coaching across all of the teams run by the club to focus on the particular skills you want in your first team players.

If clubs are going to continue dual-reg and stuff their reserves with amateurs, then not only are they missing out on a great opportunity for themselves (tough), but more importantly from a Saints perspective, it weakens the reserve competition for everyone.

PS - is this continuance of the dual-reg thing perhaps that shyster Hetherington's way of immaturely flicking two fingers at the RFL/SL for daring to do something he is opposed to?

Bradford Reserves. This guy needs signing. - Jacob Smillie

Banned

Matty Smith anyone? or and he could still do it, if he wanted to Wello ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Matty Smith anyone? or and he could still do it, if he wanted to Wello ?
    Matty Smith can •••• off. I doubt Wello would do it although last time I seen him he certainly looked in good shape.

Sadly I don’t think Wello could turn out anymore; at last week’s forum he was saying he’d had to have an injection a couple of days earlier as he could hardly walk because of his hip. The joys of being an ex rugby league pro!

In The South Stand

Think reserves would be a step backwards for Josh Simm, having spent much of this year at Leigh. He’s better off with another year under his belt at a Leigh/Widnes in the higher echelons of the Championship than playing kids at Ruskin.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Think reserves would be a step backwards for Josh Simm, having spent much of this year at Leigh. He’s better off with another year under his belt at a Leigh/Widnes in the higher echelons of the Championship than playing kids at Ruskin.
    With Swift gone, I'd say it's between him and Costello for the first choice back up to the 3/4 line. Welsby probably being viewed more as back up 1 or 6.