Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 2020 squad numbers

Learning All The Songs

Default 2020 squad numbers

Squad numbers for next year have just come out, link below, couple of noticeable changes Coote to 1, Lomax 6, Fages 7, Peyroux 12 and Paulo 18 all of which make perfect sense.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/11/1...ers-announced/

Banned

Glad peryoux got the 12 shirt over paulo. Looks a little light in the backs though

Starting A Programme Collection

Knowles maybe unlucky not to get the 13 shirt... though can understand that LMS has been around in the red V a while now

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Glad peryoux got the 12 shirt over paulo. Looks a little light in the backs though
    We look a bit light for the winger positions, back up centres and half backs are inexperienced but can do a good job, Costello and Welsby will go OK whilst Simms, Rizzelli and Dodd need game time with "leader" players around them.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Knowles maybe unlucky not to get the 13 shirt... though can understand that LMS has been around in the red V a while now
    LMS has been great since Justin came along, his leadership and enthusiasm alone are just what the team needs, it would be extremely harsh to take his number off him. I do agree that Knowles totally deserves it in his own right and the minute it becomes vacant (and assuming he doesn't get pinched by the NRL) it should be his.

Heard that Austin has got the number 5 shirt at Wire..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I think LMS having his testimonial year may have played a part too, especially with all the LMS13 branding involved there.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We look a bit light for the winger positions, back up centres and half backs are inexperienced but can do a good job, Costello and Welsby will go OK whilst Simms, Rizzelli and Dodd need game time with "leader" players around them.
    I was impressed with Rizzelli when I saw him. I know it’s a big step up physically but he absolutely hammers them in the tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I was impressed with Rizzelli when I saw him. I know it’s a big step up physically but he absolutely hammers them in the tackle
    Yes, Rizzelli has stepped up this year and looks a bit stronger than Simms at the moment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    LMS has been great since Justin came along, his leadership and enthusiasm alone are just what the team needs, it would be extremely harsh to take his number off him. I do agree that Knowles totally deserves it in his own right and the minute it becomes vacant (and assuming he doesn't get pinched by the NRL) it should be his.
    LMS has moved on from just enthusiasm, he does his share of the work as well. I think I would still be starting Knowles at 13 though.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    LMS has moved on from just enthusiasm, he does his share of the work as well. I think I would still be starting Knowles at 13 though.
    Agree totally on both points, it was only the number I meant he deserved, not necessarily the position.

In The West Stand

LMS is a great bench player, he can cover lots of different positions (yes, even centre one a pinch) and has been far more consistent over the last few years, without sacrificing his signature enthusiasm and passion. LMS and Knowles both bring different things and whilst I’d prefer to see Knowles starting at 13, I get why LMS has kept the squad number.

It’s an interesting squad. 1-17 mostly picks itself with Smith, Bentley and Paulo who will immediately competing for positions on the bench which can only be a good thing. Then we have a host of others who can hopefully kick on from a couple of games last year to playing a bigger role this year. Welbsy in particular will have a lot of pressure as he seems to be first cover for any injuries we pick up in the spine. It’s good to see the production line working.

I would be fascinated to know our cap situation this year. I know the majority of Morgan/ Douglas’ money has gone on extensions and upgrades but between Swift leaving and the cap increase I’d of expected another face in. I wonder is the club are deliberately keeping some space back to move marquee spots around for Thompson if the 3rd Marquee rule doesn’t pass.

LMS, Paulo, Amor (I think) and Taia are all off contract next year, it’ll be interesting to see where we end up

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, Rizzelli has stepped up this year and looks a bit stronger than Simms at the moment.
    Hahaha......obviously doesnt watch the games! Simm was top scorer by a mile AGAIN with probably less than half the ball Rizzelli got, scored a worldy in the Academy grand final and defends as well as anyone on the pitch especially Rizzelli with not many at all scored down that side. I do wonder what some people watch at times....if they do even watch at all before making comment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Hahaha......obviously doesnt watch the games! Simm was top scorer by a mile AGAIN with probably less than half the ball Rizzelli got, scored a worldy in the Academy grand final and defends as well as anyone on the pitch especially Rizzelli with not many at all scored down that side. I do wonder what some people watch at times....if they do even watch at all before making comment.
    Could it just be that someone has a different opinion?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

True in part because I don't watch all the games the ones I've seen Riizzelli has definitely stepped up his game and for me deserves his first team squad number courtesy of the coaching staff and apparently deemed good enough to get into the Italy World Cup Tain on squad a bit of a confidence booster for the lad.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 16th November 2019 at 20:47.

Banned

Hi Mrs Simm.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    LMS, Paulo, Amor (I think) and Taia are all off contract next year, it’ll be interesting to see where we end up
    Paolo signed a 3 year deal so he's got a couple more seasons yet although the fact he's been moved to 18 suggests he'll have a fight on his hands to get into the 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Paolo signed a 3 year deal so he's got a couple more seasons yet although the fact he's been moved to 18 suggests he'll have a fight on his hands to get into the 17.
    Great, 2 more seasons of him stinking up the joint...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default 2020 squad numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Great, 2 more seasons of him stinking up the joint...
    He’ll either have to up his game massively to fight his way back into the 17 like Amor did last year or he just won’t get much rugby. Then it’s a case of whether he’s happy just picking up a paycheck or wants to play regular rugby in the twilight of his career as to if he lasts those 2 years.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I wonder who made the decision to drop him to 18. Possibly the assistants? can't see Woolfe doing that before he has seen anyone play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wonder who made the decision to drop him to 18. Possibly the assistants? can't see Woolfe doing that before he has seen anyone play.
    I'm sure he's seen plenty of the players.

Which players are going out on dual reg and to whom ?

eg Hazzard - North Wales. Eaves - Leigh ? or are they all staying for the reserves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Which players are going out on dual reg and to whom ?

eg Hazzard - North Wales. Eaves - Leigh ? or are they all staying for the reserves.
    You'd have thought so.

Has there been any update on the reserves situation from the RFL/Super League? Been a bit quiet since the initial news.