Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussie tour 2020

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Spurs new ground is fantastic, and a lot better than playing it at Wembley or the Olympic Stadium, but I honestly don't see the need to play a Test in London at all. If it ended up like when the NFL or NBA play there and you get masses of media attention, B list celebrities in the stands, fan events in Trafalgar Sq etc then I'd understand why it would be worth it in a marketing sense. But simply rolling into Tottenham, playing a game then leaving makes little sense.

If (and it's an if) we got to the 3rd test and it was at 1-1 we would also be harming ourselves with the choice of venue. Imagine a genuine Ashes decider at Hull, Wigan or even Elland Road, with 25-30,000 on the Aussies backs. Instead, we'll have 30,000 at Spurs including thousands of London day-trippers who don't care and thousands of Aussie ex-pats.

The Ashes is a brand that people know, and winning it would go a long way, especially the year before a World Cup. The best way to get RL into the homes of the nation is for our Test team to win stuff. Playing a potential decider in London doesn't give our team the best chance of winning the series IMO, and winning the series and going into a World Cup on the back of winning an Ashes will do more good for the game in the long run than 5-10,000 Londoners turning up at Spurs for one game.

It's f***ing infuriating when people over here turn out in their tens of thousands to watch American shite like men's netball or their version of rugby played with (and by) helmets.

Still, better get used to plenty more Americanisation when that Tory c*** Bozo gets his Brexit through.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Still, better get used to plenty more Americanisation when that Tory c*** Bozo gets his Brexit through.
    Surely that’s what the people of St Helens voted for in the referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's f***ing infuriating when people over here turn out in their tens of thousands to watch American shite like men's netball or their version of rugby played with (and by) helmets.

Wow. There is a lot going on in this response..
    So much anger...

Maybe the reason so many people go to watch NFL and Basketball is because more people think it’s far more entertaining than rugby league, rugby union, and many other sports..
    Tickets for NFL games sell quicker than any football game at Wembley. Just saying..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Maybe the reason so many people go to watch NFL and Basketball is because more people think it’s far more entertaining than rugby league, rugby union, and many other sports..
    Tickets for NFL games sell quicker than any football game at Wembley. Just saying..
    It's certainly not the sporting aspect. People get invested in the culture and the 'scene' of those sports. There are a few in the office I work in that constantly ramble on about the NFL. They have the kits, the water cups, the jackets, they go to Wembley for the games and have been to the US for it. I ask them a question about the tactics used or the plays and they haven't a clue, it's just a superficial knowledge of the rules and they just like the sense of importance and pomp the sport has, rather than the sport itself.

Wow. There is a lot going on in this response..
    So much anger...

I think the actual quality of entertainment/product is down the list when it comes to popularity. Marketing strength and branding is way more influential. That goes for anything - sport, film, music, fashion, food and drink ..anything you care to think of really

Anyway, I’m ok with the Spurs and Leeds choices, though Leeds is a bit of an ageing stadium. Bolton is a bit of a small time choice, I think we could have filled an Anfield or Etihad for such an occasion
    Last edited by Sean Day; 7th November 2019 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Would have had the first test there myself
    It wouldn't be the first time they would have started off in London.

I guess these days they try to get England off to a winning start by playing in Northern England Winter Conditions, which is why we tend to play the Kiwis first off in Hull, were we have a good winning record against them.

Bolton fits the bill as a noisy, compact ground that in late October would be an Aussies idea of hell.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

As for Bennett, I think very few people would have done well on this tour. Losing O'Loughlin and Burgess on short notice has thrown a spanner in the works. Other players like Graham look past there best but you would have been a brave man not to include him given you have already lost the other two. Many of the form players in the league who should have replaced them are unavailable through injury.

His Super League knowledge has also been poor but he must surely be getting his advice from the likes of Jamie Peacock. Coote and Blake Austin for example both had strong first halves of the season but faded during the run in. Neither should have been selected.

The wingers are a great example. Jerry and Hall are past there best and have not played well enough but Makinson and Johnstone are both out injured.

This leaves...

Charnley (Wire) and Burgess (Wigan) are out of form;
    Handley (Leeds) only scores tries because he is outside Hurrell;
    Grace (Saints) would have probably got squashed by the Tongans and is Welsh so will be out the team next year anyway.
    Marshall (Wigan) who makes mistakes and is not really trusted at Wigan.

The only player that should have gone to play on the wing was Niall Evalds (but again someone UK based needed to make the case for him)

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's certainly not the sporting aspect. People get invested in the culture and the 'scene' of those sports. There are a few in the office I work in that constantly ramble on about the NFL. They have the kits, the water cups, the jackets, they go to Wembley for the games and have been to the US for it. I ask them a question about the tactics used or the plays and they haven't a clue, it's just a superficial knowledge of the rules and they just like the sense of importance and pomp the sport has, rather than the sport itself.
    By the same measures, there’s many a fan of rugby league that has no more than a superficial knowledge of laws and tactics and Saints have their fair share judging by a lot of the comments made during the games. Rugby union, which has far more complexity, has an even greater number of supporters that do not fully understand what has happened or why. American Football takes intricacy to another level again and anyone not schooled in it will always take longer to grasp fully what is involved in any given play. Nevertheless, the “ignorance” of fans doesn’t diminish the value of their support or their love of what you call “the sporting aspect”.

The NFL is simple.

They have 4 games a season in the UK, Rugby league/Union have hundreds.

Quality over Quantity.

Got A Replica Shirt

One problem with London game is its a 5.30 kick off, best of luck getting on the last train from Euston that night especially if any north west soccer clubs are playing in London that day.
    The other two games are 2.30 which is a more sensible time but I guess the BBC get to choose the kick off times.

No doubt there will be a yawnion autumn international at twickers the same day and an nfl game at Wembley ��.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    That’s the same in all sports..
    But that said I follow NFL and many fans know it inside out. Plus it’s played in many universities over here. There is a bigger following of it by people who actually do know the rules and tactics more than you are giving credit to.
    You will be surprised how many U.K. fans travel to the States to follow their teams.
    And as said above there are loads of RL fans who know Jack about tactics etc..
    At the end of the day it does not matter..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

This is typical Rugby League. The venue is great, the ambition to fill it fine, but this simply has to be the 1st Test, not the 3rd. What we will now have is a huge number of those who would have gone waiting for the outcome of the first two Tests. If we lose both then a huge opportunity has been lost, because there will be thousands less present. Not to mention that a 5.30 kick off makes a day trip virtually impossible from the North.

Cups for cock-ups!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

I remember being at a Wembley Test Match against the Aussies with just over 10 000 on. I will go to Spurs though, it looks a great stadium looking down on it from the Ally Palace. Close to Stoke Newington as well which is pretty good.

Banned

That’s the same in all sports..
    But that said I follow NFL and many fans know it inside out. Plus it’s played in many universities over here. There is a bigger following of it by people who actually do know the rules and tactics more than you are giving credit to.
    You will be surprised how many U.K. fans travel to the States to follow their teams.
    And as said above there are loads of RL fans who know Jack about tactics etc..
    At the end of the day it does not matter..
    Fair enough, you enjoy it. Most normal minded people agree it's absolute tosh whether they know the rules or not. At the end of the day this is about RL not the virtues of imported yank rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Fair enough, you enjoy it. Most normal minded people agree it's absolute tosh whether they know the rules or not. At the end of the day this is about RL not the virtues of imported yank rubbish.
    Thanks for telling me I’m not normal. I would suggest a normal person will accept other people don’t have to like everything they do.
    I guess we should leave it there as me not being normal having a discussion with a narrow minded person is never going to work.
    Last edited by 49er; 8th November 2019 at 10:47.

I think there is too much negativity here.
    An Ashes series for the first time in years should be an easy sell.
    The RFL have a full 12 months to market the final test and done right majority if not all of the tickets should be sold by the time the results from the first two tests are known.
    The only spanner in the works for me is the current coach. I think we need to have the balls to remove him and get someone else in charge. I'm personally in the Wane camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    The RFL have a full 12 months to market the final test and done right majority if not all of the tickets should be sold by the time the results from the first two tests are known.
    The only spanner in the works for me is the current coach. I think we need to have the balls to remove him and get someone else in charge. I'm personally in the Wane camp.
    I agree. I have said before I personally do not like internationals, but do see this Aussie series as a chance to be positive. The choice of venue that is Spurs is a bold one and a good one IMO.
    You are right though Bennett is the problem. The other problem is that the person who can remove him is another bore (Sinfield). Would not be surprised if Bennett was his dad. We need to jettison Bennett and Sinfield IMO for this to work.

Banned

Thanks for telling me I’m not normal. I would suggest a normal person will accept other people don’t have to like everything they do.
    I guess we should leave it there as me not being normal having a discussion with a narrow minded person is never going to work.
    Oh pick your dummy up. If you like American football that's fair enough but you're always mentioning it. It annoys me that this kind of rubbish is always on Sky along with the likes of replayed GP's, basketball, wrestling etc while we can't get a look in.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit but these eternally offended people (edited) do my head in.

I agree with Div, it should be an easy sell but you just know the RFL will manage to make a bollocks of it.

Oh pick your dummy up. If you like American football that's fair enough but you're always mentioning it. It annoys me that this kind of rubbish is always on Sky along with the likes of replayed GP's, basketball, wrestling etc while we can't get a look in.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit but these eternally offended people (edited) do my head in.

I agree with Div, it should be an easy sell but you just know the RFL will manage to make a bollocks of it.
    Won't get anywhere near 62k. It requires innovative, intense marketing & promotion. Forget it.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Wise words... Fully agree

Learning All The Songs

I don't like Elland Road, and hate the Bolton Stadium, but we're certainly planning to go to Tottenham, as it is reported to be one of the absolute best stadiums in the country, even with its own microbrewery

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think we could have filled an Anfield or Etihad for such an occasion

That'd be more than Abu Dhabi PR FC manage!
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 8th November 2019 at 13:47.

Maybe it’s on sky because it’s popular..Get over it..Six games a week. More than Rugby League. Guess it’s just fact that more people in U.K. like NFL more than RL.
    4 sell out games a year in U.K. tickets sell quicker than an FA cup final. 80+ thousand at Wembley. Far more than RL CC Final.
    A possible franchise in the making in the U.K. in next few years.
    Hey this US rubbish is doing ok over here.
    But guess what you don’t have to watch.. or comment on it.

Banned

Maybe it’s on sky because it’s popular..Get over it..Six games a week. More than Rugby League. Guess it’s just fact that more people in U.K. like NFL more than RL.
    4 sell out games a year in U.K. tickets sell quicker than an FA cup final. 80+ thousand at Wembley. Far more than RL CC Final.
    A possible franchise in the making in the U.K. in next few years.
    Hey this US rubbish is doing ok over here.
    But guess what you don’t have to watch.. or comment on it.
    I've nothing to get over, I think it's a shit game as do many people in this country. It being on Sky hardly effects my life either, it just annoys me.

I was commenting on something on here relating to RL and you took a hissy fit because someone ridiculed something you like. You're the one with issues Gertrude.

I've nothing to get over, I think it's a shit game as do many people in this country. It being on Sky hardly effects my life either, it just annoys me.

I was commenting on something on here relating to RL and you took a hissy fit because someone ridiculed something you like. You're the one with issues Gertrude.
    Gertrude! You are either a child or a Tommy Robinson supporter. My guess is both...