Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Manu Tuillagi

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Manu Tuillagi

Now Toronto are going to make an offer for the big man . Altho he is a bit passed his best he would still be great in S/L .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 6th November 2019 at 13:24.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Now Toronto are going to make an offer for big the big man . Altho he is a bit passed his best he would still be great in S/L .
    Past his best, he is only 28. If Toronto sign him and SBW that is full use of the marquee rule and a serious statement of intent. However I will believe all the hype when I see both of them run out at TWS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Past his best, he is only 28. If Toronto sign him and SBW that is full use of the marquee rule and a serious statement of intent. However I will believe all the hype when I see both of them run out at TWS.

Wouldn't Tuilagi qualify for a separate exemption (to the marquee exemption) because he's a yawnion player?

You know, like when Wire signed that world class centre Luther Burrell?

Banned

Now Toronto are going to make an offer for big the big man . Altho he is a bit passed his best he would still be great in S/L .
    Take him all season to get fit

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wouldn't Tuilagi qualify for a separate exemption (to the marquee exemption) because he's a yawnion player?

You know, like when Wire signed that world class centre Luther Burrell?
    Yes, I think he would. If I remember correctly, he wouldn't count at all in his first year and would count half of his salary (or presumably half of £175k if he's a marquee player, which no doubt he would be) in his second.

It would be good to see Tuilagi sign for Toronto given he only extended his contract with Leicester earlier this year. A case of Denny Solomona in reverse while possibly Toronto wouldn’t have to pay Leicester compensation as they’d be contracting under Canadian rather than English law.

Learning All The Songs

Also rumoured to be after Ben Te'o and Valentine Holmes and Christian Ward from the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It would be good to see Tuilagi sign for Toronto given he only extended his contract with Leicester earlier this year. A case of Denny Solomona in reverse while possibly Toronto wouldn’t have to pay Leicester compensation as they’d be contracting under Canadian rather than English law.
    I hope they don't do anything like that, as it would set a dangerous precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I hope they don't do anything like that, as it would set a dangerous precedent.
    I’m not sure why it would be dangerous for rugby league. If you’re worried that Toronto might poach contracted players from UK clubs without compensation, the RFL would merely need to refuse to register them thereby scuppering Toronto.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’d imagine it would take some doing to tempt him away from the Lions tour in a couple of years.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Yeah , I maybe being a bit harsh saying he is past his best . I watched the RU W/C final & he could have tried harder to get involved . No doubts on his day he can be devestating . Would not mind him at all in a Saints shirt .

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m not sure why it would be dangerous for rugby league. If you’re worried that Toronto might poach contracted players from UK clubs without compensation, the RFL would merely need to refuse to register them thereby scuppering Toronto.
    It's dangerous because as soon as you establish that a sports club from one country doesn't have to honour contracts signed in another country then players will be free to move in similar situations. Toronto are a unique case in apparently being a RL club that can outspend other codes, but in almost all other cases the direction of travel would be from SL to RU/NRL.
    Last edited by Dux; 6th November 2019 at 16:38.

Learning All The Songs

Going nowhere according to Leicester, nice to see the column inches though
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50321358

The sport as a whole desperately needs to find a way to attract higher value sponsorship, TV deals and (dare I say it) more affluent fans so that top athletes are attracted to the sport and can be retained. Not sure what the answer is

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Going nowhere according to Leicester, nice to see the column inches though
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50321358

The sport as a whole desperately needs to find a way to attract higher value sponsorship, TV deals and (dare I say it) more affluent fans so that top athletes are attracted to the sport and can be retained. Not sure what the answer is
    I agree with all this .... but for all the concerns about Toronto - credit where it’s due to then - ain’t it great to see the boot on the other foot for a change when it comes to cross-code matters - lets hope it continues !

Might be one or two Saracens available???0

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Might be one or two Saracens available???0
    Do they have anyone useful? Who might be persuaded to give up a life of fame and riches on the global stage to play with the sons of mining folk in that there North?

Top club Saracens could go under with this mess. Players will be on their way but to where is anyone's guess. Probably not our game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Top club Saracens could go under with this mess. Players will be on their way but to where is anyone's guess. Probably not our game.
    I don't know anything about their squad, is there anyone we'd want or is it just a chance of kicking a union team in the nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't know anything about their squad, is there anyone we'd want or is it just a chance of kicking a union team in the nuts?
    I hope Wigin sign Andy Farrells lad . How he is Captain of England is beyond belief . but seriously I cannot see any top-line yawnion players jumping ship to join S/L .Then again maybe one or two who want to bolster their pensions

Banned

I hope Wigin sign Andy Farrells lad . How he is Captain of England is beyond belief . but seriously I cannot see any top-line yawnion players jumping ship to join S/L .Then again maybe one or two who want to bolster their pensions
    he's shite and would get murdered playing league. I'm not sure what position he would play.

George Ford has said a couple of times over the last year or two that he wants to play league. Obviously it would take a big offer but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Toronto or one of the big clubs take a punt on him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

George Ford has said a couple of times over the last year or two that he wants to play league. Obviously it would take a big offer but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Toronto or one of the big clubs take a punt on him.
    I would go for Farrell before Ford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Ford has been a guest at Saints a few times, possibly through sculthorpe..

I can see Farrell probably finishing his career at Wigan, it's no doubt a dream of his and would probably take a pay cut for a year or two to do so