Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toronto not playing abroad in 2020

Default Toronto not playing abroad in 2020

Toronto will only play any of their early home games in the UK
    They have scrapped plans to play abroad. They will play early home games in U.K.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...ase-approaches

Below also being reported..

‘The Wolfpack will join forces with a major Super League club to stage a doubleheader at the other club’s home ground, while an agreement has been reached with a Championship club, thought to be York, for another doubleheader. The third game will be staged alongside a major rugby union club in the Premiership Rugby competition’.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Not sure what 'abroad' means in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Not sure what 'abroad' means in this context.
    Barcelona etc.. they planned to take early home games on the road.. But now say all early home games will be in U.K.
    it’s due to bad weather and they don’t have access to their ground until April.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

The Super League double header sounds dull. We go to those grounds anyway, nothing special about that.

York sounds a belter. I half expected it to be London Broncos as Toronto have used London Skolars before and I can’t imagine their ground is anywhere close to Super League standard.

The Union double header can do one though. I’m praying we’re not involved in that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

The double header sounds like the kind of scheme that Wigan would be all over !

Quote Originally Posted by johnno65 View Post
    The double header sounds like the kind of scheme that Wigan would be all over !
    It would work well in a big ground with the home teams rival playing Toronto (so the home fans back Toronto).

So us at Wigan would work.

Toronto Hull KR at the KC would also work. Given that Amsterdam/Rotterdam was on the cards you would suspect that would have worked best with a Hull club. Maybe double header at the KC is plan B.

Question: I cannot remember if the odds and evens for the loop fixtures were before or after the playoffs (as in league standings) last year? I think it is before which is why we played Castleford (3rd) at the Magic Weekend.
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 31st October 2019 at 13:49.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

I think the Hull v whoever and Toronto v KR could be a good one .

Banned

Sounds a load of rubbish to me.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm still trying to get my head around this 'basket case'!
    So Toronto can't play any home games at home until mid April.
    I'm assuming (hoping!) that they'll be looking to move their home loop games to represent these early season fixtures?
    Are there enough home loop games to take them up to mid April, or will some teams be missing out on a trip to Canada?...And if so, would that be an advantage or disadvantage?
    Can someone brighter than me do the maths please?
    Arghhh !**!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm assuming (hoping!) that they'll be looking to move their home loop games to represent these early season fixtures?
    Are there enough home loop games to take them up to mid April, or will some teams be missing out on a trip to Canada?...And if so, would that be an advantage or disadvantage?
    Arghhh !**!!
    Yep basically they were told they couldn't play a load of games away..

Only Leeds and Wigan are allowed blocks of away fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Arghhh !**!!
    Yes and Yes, the loop fixtures will be the early season fixtures.

I think it will take them up to mid-March this depends on when the season starts, it is a good bet it will be 30th Jan, so week 7 is the 13th March.

However, as they are playing in home/away blocks of 2 they just need a couple of away games to then (almost) get them into April. This means that all teams will have 1 regular season away game in Toronto.

As they are playing less home games it will be unfair but "It's Not Fair it's Rugby League"**

**Copyright The RFL
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

I just knew the RFL would find some way to make a pigs ear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    only leeds and wigan are allowed blocks of away fixtures
    Quote Originally Posted by noel cleal View Post
    as they are playing less home games it will be unfair but "it's not fair it's rugby league"**

**copyright the rfl

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Sounds a load of rubbish to me.

That surprises me 😂

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    That surprises me ��
    Are you saying it sounds good? Fill the ground with another teams supporters? Or even worse a league/union double header? As if any decent Union team would touch that nonsense so will probably end up being some Mickey Mouse teams who normally get a few hundred fans. This bollocks about their ground not being available until April isn't an excuse, either find somewhere else or •••• off, and the RFL are well aware of the weather so why start the bloody season so early? Bunch of amateur clowns the lot of them.

We did a double header a few years back when we played London Broncos at The Stoop. Quins played Leeds first. Most of their fans disappeared after the RU full time. Most of our lot turned up just for the RL game.
    I can't see it being much different this time round.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Are you saying it sounds good? Fill the ground with another teams supporters? Or even worse a league/union double header? As if any decent Union team would touch that nonsense so will probably end up being some Mickey Mouse teams who normally get a few hundred fans. This bollocks about their ground not being available until April isn't an excuse, either find somewhere else or •••• off, and the RFL are well aware of the weather so why start the bloody season so early? Bunch of amateur clowns the lot of them.
    Another practical demonstration of how to shove your head up your own arsehole by the RFL.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Be a relief when the backside falls out of this.

Complete and Utter fantasy that this will ever work.

Why anyone thinks having a Canadian team in a European comp (I say that loosely due to Catalans, which is 2 hours away on a plane by the way).

No junior development in north America, just lads who didn't make the grade in American football.

Focus on the areas where the game is actually played at amateur level and invest in youth development, rather than having a team full of kiwis, Aussies, Brits playing in Canada.

They are Toronto in name only. It's a waste of time

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Why anyone thinks having a Canadian team in a European comp (I say that loosely due to Catalans, which is 2 hours away on a plane by the way).

No junior development in north America, just lads who didn't make the grade in American football.

Focus on the areas where the game is actually played at amateur level and invest in youth development, rather than having a team full of kiwis, Aussies, Brits playing in Canada.

I am all in favour of a European competition, and if I had any influence I would have had Toulouse in SL rather than Toronto. A decent semi pro side with lots of grass roots rugby, and a chance for the team to grow, and to expand the popularity of SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Toronto are totally self-funded and your call to invest in youth development implies the RFL/Super League could divert funding from Toronto.
    I

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Toronto are totally self-funded and your call to invest in youth development implies the RFL/Super League could divert funding from Toronto.
    I
    No it doesn't. He was just saying invest in areas where there's a tradition of the game being played.

I'm quickly changing my mind on this shambles, I was for it to begin with, stupidly thinking the RFL might have learned from past mistakes but it's clear they haven't and I'm sure they'll get loads of decisions at home to make them "credible" in the same way Catalan did for years. Lets hope they hammered on a weekly basis and their owner pulls out. Crock of shit being mismanaged as usual.

No it doesn't. He was just saying invest in areas where there's a tradition of the game being played.

I'm quickly changing my mind on this shambles, I was for it to begin with, stupidly thinking the RFL might have learned from past mistakes but it's clear they haven't and I'm sure they'll get loads of decisions at home to make them "credible" in the same way Catalan did for years. Lets hope they hammered on a weekly basis and their owner pulls out. Crock of shit being mismanaged as usual.
    Who do you want to invest in these areas - the owners of Toronto?
    I’m sure if any businessmen from say, Oldham, Workington or Wales with a lot of money wanted to invest in youth development in those traditional so-called heartland areas then there would be nothing to stop them. The fact of the matter is that he has the money and the desire to plough money into a Toronto- based team without any cost to the other teams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Who do you want to invest in these areas - the owners of Toronto?
    I’m sure if any businessmen from say, Oldham, Workington or Wales with a lot of money wanted to invest in youth development in those traditional so-called heartland areas then there would be nothing to stop them. The fact of the matter is that he has the money and the desire to plough money into a Toronto- based team without any cost to the other teams.
    That's all true and I've no problem with the Toronto owners invest all the money they like but if they want to play in our premier competition they should play by the same rules as everyone else, and that's more aimed at the RFL than Toronto as they've already jumped through hoops but the whole thing is turning into a big contrived mess and I'd bet my last pound on those clowns in charge of the RFL being to blame.

In The South Stand

I thought for a long time before I renewed my season ticket and only did so recently , now I am wishing that I hadn't because I am wondering when and who my team will be playing .

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I thought for a long time before I renewed my season ticket and only did so recently , now I am wishing that I hadn't because I am wondering when and who my team will be playing .
    Is this a serious comment? If so, then your major misgivings should be alleviated next week (I think) when the fixtures come out!