Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young guns

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I genuinely cannot believe Dodd will not have been sounded out whilst in Aus.
    Apparently a few NRL clubs enquired about him last year. I believe Saints have him tied down to a decent contract by academy standards and I would imagine they will offer him an improved one once he plays first team. He’s probably the most highly rated half back we’ve had come through the juniors since Eastmond. The fact that we let Richardson go speaks volumes for the lad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Well done Saints Academy winning their last game 34 - 22 against the usual toughest match against Penrith Panthers, Lewis Dodd again proving to be very influential. Couple of Saints lads will have progressed up a couple of notches for next season.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 3rd November 2019 at 11:29.

I think a lot of Saints fans are underestimating/undervaluing Matty Costello.

It got to a stage late in the season when you would trust him to hold his own in a big game. He would also would chip and and make some good plays.

The release of Swift was more than likely down to his progress. Given we currently have two internationals in Percy and Kev it is easy to set the bar too high in terms of our expectations.

Looking at Simm, I can see him turning into a Josh Jones/Lee Gilmour type second rower.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think a lot of Saints fans are underestimating/undervaluing Matty Costello.

It got to a stage late in the season when you would trust him to hold his own in a big game. He would also would chip and and make some good plays.

The release of Swift was more than likely down to his progress. Given we currently have two internationals in Percy and Kev it is easy to set the bar too high in terms of our expectations.

Looking at Simm, I can see him turning into a Josh Jones/Lee Gilmour type second rower.
    You're quite possibly right regarding Costello, he certainly looked more assured to me this season.

I hope Simm turns out anything as good as Gilmour, I still think he was a better centre than SR.

Learning All The Songs

Its great that so many young players have been blooded. It has definitely done them all a world of good playing alongside seasoned professionals. Bentley for me has come on a ton this year.

Banned

Just seen a little clip from the Penrith game. This lad Sambou looks a powerful lad, and quick. He beats about 4 men through the middle including putting one lad on his backside and it took another 4 to put him down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Just seen a little clip from the Penrith game. This lad Sambou looks a powerful lad, and quick. He beats about 4 men through the middle including putting one lad on his backside and it took another 4 to put him down.
    There seemed to be a few good performances. The goal line defence seemed a bit loose but the attack and the follow up to attacking kicks was very reminiscent of the first team. A lot has been written on here about Lewis Dodd, it's hard to judge playing against lads V men, but he does look special. If he can grow into the same game with the firsts we must have been laughing all the way to the bank letting DR go.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're quite possibly right regarding Costello, he certainly looked more assured to me this season.

I hope Simm turns out anything as good as Gilmour, I still think he was a better centre than SR.
    Between the start of the season and the end Costello really improved. I doubt he will ever be a first choice centre, but now I don't have concerns when he comes in. As for Gilmour, his leaving is another reason not to forgive Potter.

Learning All The Songs

Saints beat Penrith in their final game of the tour. Dodd a stand-out again.

Highlights of the game here, including a belting carry from Jumah Sambou, who appears to be a Centre built like a Prop (3.57 into the video).

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/11/0...over-panthers/

What's even more impressive about this, Penrith fielded 2 teams, one each half, and it was played to 40 minutes a half, not 30, so Saints did very well.

Learning All The Songs

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd put it under young guns.

Does anyone know were Matty Smith will be next season?

Banned

Well he is still contracted to catalans and nothing has been said

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Well he is still contracted to catalans and nothing has been said
    Has Gigot signed anywhere ? I remember reading that he was leaving Cats after last season, but not seen anything about him signing anywhere else.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Has Gigot signed anywhere ? I remember reading that he was leaving Cats after last season, but not seen anything about him signing anywhere else.
    I'm sure I read earlier that he's still not got a club. I can see him dropping down, Toulouse maybe or London.

Banned

Watching his favourite club Wigan and turning out for Hindley ARLFC.