Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young guns

Banned

Default Young guns

So after an impressive year for our younger players making the step up into the first team. Who do you think will be the one who impresses or goes the extra mile in 2020. Not going to count lees or ashworth as already 1st team

Matty costello -seems solid but not impressive kinda reminds me of chris dean matty flemming, will do a job but not much more
    Jack welsby - few question marks under a high ball but hes still a kid so he allowed to be making errors, some good performances especially wire away
    Josh eaves - only seen him play once at leeds away but gets good reports, could be be forgotten about due to smith and bentley
    Aaron smith - for me the next successor to roby but will need alot more game time playing in the gf must of helped him
    James batchelor - make or break season for him
    Josh simm - not seen him play but did good for our u19s
    Lewis dodd - hes being bigged up as the next best thing off our production line but alot of players fail to make it at the top (remember gareth frodsham)

Your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    So after an impressive year for our younger players making the step up into the first team. Who do you think will be the one who impresses or goes the extra mile in 2020. Not going to count lees or ashworth as already 1st team

Matty costello -seems solid but not impressive kinda reminds me of chris dean matty flemming, will do a job but not much more
    Jack welsby - few question marks under a high ball but hes still a kid so he allowed to be making errors, some good performances especially wire away
    Josh eaves - only seen him play once at leeds away but gets good reports, could be be forgotten about due to smith and bentley
    Aaron smith - for me the next successor to roby but will need alot more game time playing in the gf must of helped him
    Lewis dodd - hes being bigged up as the next best thing off our production line but alot of players fail to make it at the top (remember gareth frodsham)

Your thoughts
    Zeb Taia

Banned

Stanley Gene.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I guess it's the old theory of 'bringing them on gently' versus the Murphyism 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'.
    Personally I prefer the former.
    We need to be careful not to throw these lads in at the deep end and then, we fans, expecting them to be world beaters immediately!

...And just to continue with the directing of this thread, that Wellens lad is showing some promise!

Banned

I was actually talking to one of the Academy lads on Monday, Kai Siyani, lovely lad and a lump too although looked as if he had plenty of growing still to do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Your thoughts
    It will be interesting what the perspective will be from our new coach with these players, it would be a big step up for Lewis Dodd on the physicality of defending very similar to Richardson. Hopefully Welsby gets more game time at Full Back or Stand Off but that will depend on injuries and rotation. It looks as though Bentley will always be selected over Batchelor, for me 2021 season is the watershed of our playing squad and this will be a major task for Woolfe.

Starting A Programme Collection

Your thoughts
    Smith is the most interesting one for me. Big shoes to fill, I'm not too sure on him personally. Ball in hand he looks fine but defensively he constantly seems to lose the tackle and be clinging on or left behind the PTB etc. Obviously this might be as he's young but think I'd like to see some improvement in that area to be our long term 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Stanley Gene.
    Will be fun to see that young lad called Wilkin who Toronto signed playing against us next season!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Will be fun to see that young lad called Wilkin who Toronto signed playing against us next season!
    Never heard of him.

Never heard of him.
    ������ I've heard he's a bit of a penalty machine, but turns in the odd good performance when he's not too busy brewing coffee and posing for the camera

Learning All The Songs

Never heard of him.
    He’s meant to be a fantastic half back, with an excellent range of kicking and passing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    He’s meant to be a fantastic half back, with an excellent range of kicking and passing...
    Sorry must have got the name wrong, not the one I was thinking of

Learning All The Songs

My only concern about Smith is hat he is now 23, and though he has an immovable object in front of him in Robes, he seems to be quite a long way from getting a regular first team slot. I like Bentley and I think Welsby is a star of the future. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Dodd and Simm.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Cunningham rates him really highly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Smith is the most interesting one for me. Big shoes to fill, I'm not too sure on him personally. Ball in hand he looks fine but defensively he constantly seems to lose the tackle and be clinging on or left behind the PTB etc. Obviously this might be as he's young but think I'd like to see some improvement in that area to be our long term 9.
    Yeah, still not convinced either.. personally think Eaves looks a lot more solid out the two, albeit a very brief performance at Leeds

Not to mention he topped the average metre gain this season with 27m a carry!!

Im not sure how old Eaves is but it may be that they are giving Smith the first chance due to his age and having more time on our side re Eaves

Learning All The Songs

Saw an article last night, saying Cronulla are sending a scouting delegation over to Magic Weekend; Matty Lees and Knowles are supposed targets.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Saw an article last night, saying Cronulla are sending a scouting delegation over to Magic Weekend; Matty Lees and Knowles are supposed targets.
    I'd probably lose the will to live if either of those left us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I suspect a lot of people on RLFans will be hoping.......

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I have a friend who is an Aussie journalist, in 2016 he sent me this list of players who were being closely watched by an Aussie club.

It's still happening I know of one very young Wigan prop forward who played for England v Australia academy last year who has been approached.

WIGAN
    - Dom Manfredi – Wing
    - Jack Higginson – Centre / Wing (future)
    ST HELENS
    - Jonny Lomax – Fullback
    - Joe Greenwood – 2 nd Row
    - Danny Richardson – Halfback (future)
    - Levi Nzoungou – Prop (future)
    - Matty Lees – Prop (future)
    WARRINGTON
    - Matty Russell – Fullback
    - Tom Lineham – Wing
    - Ben Currie – 2 nd Row
    - Darryl Clarke – Hooker
    - Morgan Smith – Half (future)
    - Harvey Livett Centre / Edge (future)
    LEEDS
    - Callum Watkins - Centre
    - Ashton Golding – Fullback
    - Liam Sutcliffe – Five Eighth
    - Cameron Smith – Middle
    SALFORD
    - Josh Griffin – Centre
    - Niall Evalds – Fullback
    WAKEFIELD
    - Tom Johnstone – Wing
    - Max Jowitt – Fullback (future)
    HULL FC
    - Jansin Turgut – Edge
    - Scott Taylor – Prop
    - Reece Dean – Halfback
    - Curtis Naughton – Fullback / OB
    HULL KR
    - George Lawler – Hooker
    WIDNES​
    - Brad Walker – Lock (future)
    CASTLEFORD
    - Mike McMeekan – Edge
    - Ryan Hampshire – Halfback
    - Gadwin Springer - Prop
    HUDDERSFIELD
    - Oliver Roberts – Edge
    - Joe Wardle – Centre
    CATALANS
    - Lucas Albert – Halfback

Learning All The Songs

I genuinely cannot believe Dodd will not have been sounded out whilst in Aus.

In The South Stand

Possibly, but half backs with a bit of talent aren't as rare in the NRL as they are here. I suspect there will have been scouts from a few clubs at the games and a few players will have gone onto the radar.

Me neither but I hear Dodd is on extremely good terms for essentially an Academy player, this was necessary to secure him above a raft of other top sides. I think we will need to give him a taste of first team rugby before long or he may be tempted elsewhere even at 17/18

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Me neither but I hear Dodd is on extremely good terms for essentially an Academy player, this was necessary to secure him above a raft of other top sides. I think we will need to give him a taste of first team rugby before long or he may be tempted elsewhere even at 17/18
    I think he'll probably get that chance at some point this year now Richardson has gone. He's first reserve SH now.